Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr GASSER 2012! Update: 7-25-12

Ira

Ira, I like the direction that you are taking "Mr Gasser" you have a real talent imagination when it comes to these kind of models.

For some reason Revell never quite interpolated Ed Roth's artwork into the models. They are all a bit on the crude side in some respects but in others they are marvels of die work. They are well engineered in respect to the actual figures though the cars lack a lot. Of the later production runs of the Roth monster kits that I've built there seems to be some if the same kits that are heavy on the flash and others that are really tight with minimal flash. I have had the pleasure of building a few of the original Roth kits (out of some pretty crusty boxes), even then there was some slight flash present. The only worse monster kits of the time period were the Hawk Weird-Oh's, they only slightly resemble Bill Campbell's artwork redefining crude, still a fun build though.

So what are you going to do with "Mr Gasser's" bottom end after the complete amputation of his butt and legs? Looking at one of my unbuilt "Mr Gasser" '57 Chevy bodies it looks like you might be able to turn Gasser's bottom end so that he is sitting instead of standing (as in stock form). The feet on the monsters were one of the better parts.

Thanks Skip!

This kit is great, very little flashing & all the parts fit very well together...

I am using the Bottom End on another model... B)

Edited by Ira

WE'VE GOT LIGHTS!!!

The stock headlights are on the left. I found the set on the right in an AMT '57 Chevy kit...

DSCN6166G.jpg

I Reamed out a couple of holes for the New Headlights!

DSCN6203G.jpg

Here they are in place!

DSCN6170G.jpg

When I fit the Front Bumper/Grill in place, I noticed that there was a flat area above the grill...so I ground it off on a 45 degree angle.

DSCN6223G.jpg

B)

Edited by Ira

Ira, You must have read my mind with the headlights, may as well use the front and back bumper while you are at it at least they're chrome.

I'm in the process of collecting parts to build another detailed "Mr Gasser". I am going to use a modified Revell Willys Street Rod frame under it, haven't decided about using the Hemi yet. Thinking about molding and casting rear tires either from the Super Fuzz or Manglia kits, both of which look 100% better than the tiny stock kit tires. Would like to make this version look as closely to the Danbury Mint version of "Mr Gasser as well as the version done in the "Amazing Vehicular Modeler".

Lead the way I'm following this one, just like all of your Kool Kustom Monster builds!

Ha ha...so much for my original statement! I think it's ultra cool that you are improving this kit! Outstanding! Can't wait to see how ya paint it!!!!

Thanks for the kind words Terry!

Yeah, I'm thinking about paint & maybe some flocking... B)

INTERIOR PANELS...

I extended front of the stock Floorboard by about 3/8" with a strip of plastic. Then I cut a piece of sheet plastic to fit between the Floorboard and the Dashboard Area and glued it in place.

DSCN6273G.jpg

I cut a piece of sheet plastic to go between the rear of the Floorboard and the rear edge of the Interior. I cut out 2 areas to clear the Big Slicks, then I glued it in place.

DSCN6271G.jpg

Next I cut a piece of sheet plastic to go between the back of the body and the Interior Panel I just put in.

DSCN6323G.jpg

Here is the Top View with all of the Panels in Place!

DSCN6279G.jpg

:)

Ira, your builds are so cool. I am tempted to try and do one of these "things". I think what is holding me back is the fact I could never acheive the results you are able to get. Keep 'em coming !!!!

Thanks Ray!

Don't try to do what I do...Do what you do, it will be Great... :)

WHEEL MOUNTS!!!

I was able to modify the stock Wheel Mounts to fit the Super Fuzz Tires!

I attached the Rear Mounts on the Interior Panel as shown...

DSCN6337G.jpg

I found a 16th scale 56 T-Bird Rear End that will work with a little narrowing...

DSCN6335G.jpg

After fitting the Rear Slicks in place, I cut down the Rear Mounts to hold the Rear End in Place.

DSCN6340G.jpg

The Front Mounts almost worked in the stock position, but I had to move them down about 1/8th inch. Then I cut plastic tubing to fit between the Mounts.

DSCN6346G.jpg

Ira, You must have read my mind with the headlights, may as well use the front and back bumper while you are at it at least they're chrome.

I'm in the process of collecting parts to build another detailed "Mr Gasser". I am going to use a modified Revell Willys Street Rod frame under it, haven't decided about using the Hemi yet. Thinking about molding and casting rear tires either from the Super Fuzz or Manglia kits, both of which look 100% better than the tiny stock kit tires. Would like to make this version look as closely to the Danbury Mint version of "Mr Gasser as well as the version done in the "Amazing Vehicular Modeler".

Lead the way I'm following this one, just like all of your Kool Kustom Monster builds!

Thanks Skip!

Use the Super Fuzz Tires, they are a Great Fit... B)

Looks like the Gasser is going Pro-Street. Getting ready to Tub the '57 out? No wonder you cut Mr Gasser's butt off, needed the room for the tubs! What's next the four link?

Getting the Interior Tubs done now... B)

GASSER TUBS!!!

I made Tubs for the Slicks with sheet plastic.

DSCN6355G.jpg

Mr. Gasser needed a little more "Off the Bottom" to fit between the New Tubs...

DSCN6378G.jpg

Here is the New Mock-Up!

DSCN6330G.jpg

Edited by Ira