Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC Young American Dragster?

Pete L.

Not sure if I am following this thread correctly, but the reissued Young American kit has the following differences vs. the original Don Garlits Wynnscharger:

New larger fuel tank located farther back in the chassis, replacing the Garlits tank.

New oil tank (?) and dual oil filters (?) attached to new frame crossmember.

Ballast box in frame near front axle, replacing the axle weights and front spoiler in the Garlits kit.

Different tie rod and steering link off the driver's side kingpin (vs. the center steer tie rod linkage in the Garlits kit.

Different valve covers (these actually carry over from the Fiat Railrod Slingshot issue; the original Young American kit did have the same valve covers as the Garlits kit from what I recall.

And of course, the box art, instructions, and decals.

Apologize if I misunderstood and am restating the obvious.....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I stand corrected, Tim is correct. I did a quick glance, but after taking both orig. kits and doing a detailed side by side, there are a few differences. Intersting if you compare the two YA box pics

PS

Tim,

Like both your 62 Vette and Stude ...

Edited by Alan

A quick compare between the Garlits kit and the Fiat Rail Rod Slingshot offshoot. Lets remember that the tree was changed to make the fuel injected car. I do not yet have a YA kit to compare them to.

20121224_114649.jpg

Garlits Chrome

20121224_114216.jpg

Fiat Rail Chrome

20121224_114111.jpg

Instructions

20121224_115317.jpg

20121224_115254.jpg

20121224_115422.jpg

Hope this helps!

Edited by Daddyfink

Thanks Wayne and Jesse.

Once it became evident to me just how much the chrome runner had changed vs. the original Garlits issue, it also became clear why Round 2 had not attempted to reissue the Don Garlits version of the kit.

By the way, note that the new YA version has the same valve covers as the Rail Rod, NOT the same ones as the original YA.

Also, the distributor/magneto in the new version YA did not match the instruction illustration and did not match the original mag I recall from building the original issue Garlits kit. (You can see the original mag in the top left corner of the Garlits kit chrome tree in Jesse's post above.) It doesn't also does not fit the distributor location for a second gen 426 Hemi block properly. There is also a big hole in the engine block at the top rear, right where a first gen 392 Hemi would have its Distributor/Mag (you should fill this hole when building your YA). All of which makes me suspect that the engine block and Magneto carry over from the Carl Casper Cosmic Charger version of the kit, which represents a pseudo first gen Hemi with "Imperial" lettering on the valve covers....

All this must drive the guys at Round 2 crazy when they attempt to do a kit reissue. For us as experienced modelers, I guess in the big picture it really doesn't matter much. It's just GREAT! to have this kit back! TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Adding to this-I looked at my old Garlits version and saw that the front of the frame where the front axle attaches is different on the YA version.It's narrower on the YA to accomodate the different style front axle.

Edited by ZTony8

• 4 weeks later...

I just got mine testerday from Hobbylinc.com and this is what it looks like.

Not only do the side rails have a hump in them:

IMG_0702_zps52a224b1.jpg

But the chassis is badly twisted:IMG_0701_zps5f25a1e6.jpg

I've had it with old MPC and AMT reissues. I get disappointed every time.

Edited by oldscool

I just got mine testerday from Hobbylinc.com and this is what it looks like.

Not only do the side rails have a hump in them:

IMG_0702_zps52a224b1.jpg

But the chassis is badly twisted:IMG_0701_zps5f25a1e6.jpg

I've had it with old MPC and AMT reissues. I get disappointed every time.

Gerald....I bought several of the kits and they had either perfect frames or ones that were just ever so mildly twsted - easy to twist back into shape. This one, however, looks very poor. You should ask for a replacement. I am aware of one other modeler - a very well respected drag racing modeler - who got a kit with warpage similar in scope to yours. I've notified my contact at Round 2 about both your frame and that of the other builder.

Overall,,,,it's a good kit (with some minor build issues that can be dealt with) - please don't let this one bad experience keep you from trying to build it.

Best regards...TIM

Thanks for your reply Tim. I'm sure they aren't all this bad but I was so excited to see this kit that it was a real letdown when I opened the box.

Gerald...you can contact Round 2 and they will send you a replacement frame.....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I bought seven of these kits and only had one with a warpped frame. As I've done in the past I went to Round2's website and printed the replacement form and sent all the information they need. I should have my replacement frame in a few weeks. Round 2 has been very helpfull in suppling replacement parts in the past. Give this a try, the other option Round 2 will suggest is to return to the seller for a replacement. Personall I find it easier to go through Round2.

Good luck, and Happy Modeling

Vernon