Model Cars Magazine Forum

been thinking about this for a while

diymirage

looks great jairus, i took the liberty to put a post in the "under glass" section like i mentioned in my origenal post

you can find it here

(i'd like to remind everyone to post all your finished builds there)

only discrepancy i see is that in your build the boards actually fit the bed where in the hotwheel they are pertruding into the cab

are you doing the twin engine next?

as for my build, it was on halt for a few weeks since i had a friend from out of town over

i should be able to start fiddling with it soon again

(i think all thats left is detail painting and final assembly)

Edited by diymirage

And someone could build the custom T-bird from the "Allison Thunderland" funnycar kit that was reissued a couple years ago. You'd need an interior and chassis but since it's a hotwheels custom it wouldn't have to be 100% stock Thunderbird. BUT Missing Link does the interior in resin if needed.

I used the chassis and interior from the '71 kit in that body, and it works pretty well, though it probably would not be correct if you were doing anything but a custom.

I actually dug out some of my Hot Wheels, and I think I've got a few pretty cool candidates in my own stash...

hotwheels001-vi.jpg

Fast Cash

hotwheels002-vi.jpg

Hyper Mite

hotwheels003-vi.jpg

The creatively named Custom Volkswagen Beetle

hotwheels004-vi.jpg

Deora II

hotwheels005-vi.jpg

Bedtime

hotwheels006-vi.jpg

Cool One

hotwheels007-vi.jpg

Bone Shaker

Of the group, Fast Cash and Cool One are the two I'd really love to do in 1:25, though that Bone Shaker wouldn't be too tough to pull off with an AMT '25 T coupe body. Hmmmm....

Eelco, Did you change the deadline? Last time I read the rules was just after you modified the rules the first time and I could have sworn the deadline was end of July. Oh well... other obligations are in the way of my starting on a "Twin-Mill" car for the moment regardless.

Not the least of which is rebuilding my computer.

As for the boards not sticking into the cab... I thought about that. But felt my build corrects what I always believed was a flaw in the Hot Wheels car and a concession to it being a toy. Otherwise wouldn't they have riveted the boards to the deck and made them not removable?

(Which incidentally Mattel actually DID do with the latter releases.)

Thanks for posting it in the "Under Glass" section. :)

let me know which ones you guys pick and ill enter you to the list

Chuck, are those the stock wheels on that boneshaker?

they dont look like hotwheels wheels to me

That particular version isn't 1:64, its from the bigger, 1:50-ish Hot Wheels series. They do have this in 1:64, I've just never stumbled across one.

As for the boards not sticking into the cab... I thought about that. But felt my build corrects what I always believed was a flaw in the Hot Wheels car and a concession to it being a toy. Otherwise wouldn't they have riveted the boards to the deck and made them not removable?

(Which incidentally Mattel actually DID do with the latter releases.)

Thanks for posting it in the "Under Glass" section. B)

could be i changed the date Jairus...but i dont think i did. if it was set for late july it would be a 1.5 month build which i dont think i ever did

but then again, i might have

too bad about the twin mill, im sure you would have made it look spot on

as for the boards, i totally see your point but im not sure how i feel about it

i mean, you are totally correct in saying yours is better (more life like) then the origenal but we were going for that, we were going for replicating the hotwheel

not a critique at all thoug, just a though

That particular version isn't 1:64, its from the bigger, 1:50-ish Hot Wheels series. They do have this in 1:64, I've just never stumbled across one.

thats cool, i never knew they made a 1/50 scale series

In answer to the question of scale it might be best to answer it with a quote from my favorite theologian "Capt'n Barbosa", in that "it is not so much a rule as a guideline!"

First with Matchbox and later on with Hot Wheels and Johnny Lightning, the scale aspect was more what they could cram into a standard box (later blistercard). In other-words did you really believe that a 1964 Chevrolet taxi had the same length as a dumptruck? B)

In answer to the question of scale it might be best to answer it with a quote from my favorite theologian "Capt'n Barbosa", in that "it is not so much a rule as a guideline!"

First with Matchbox and later on with Hot Wheels and Johnny Lightning, the scale aspect was more what they could cram into a standard box (later blistercard). In other-words did you really believe that a 1964 Chevrolet taxi had the same length as a dumptruck? :angry:

As a kid, I had a Datsun Z car and an Oshkosh snowplow- the Oshkosh wasn't much larger than the Z! <_< One of them was box scale for sure!

My Boneshaker is from the 'collectible' line from Hot Wheels, it's quite a bit larger than the typical 1:64 and 1:64-ish scale versions, and I think they even make a larger scale version than the one I have, as well as the smaller version.

As a kid, I had a Datsun Z car and an Oshkosh snowplow- the Oshkosh wasn't much larger than the Z! :) One of them was box scale for sure!

My Boneshaker is from the 'collectible' line from Hot Wheels, it's quite a bit larger than the typical 1:64 and 1:64-ish scale versions, and I think they even make a larger scale version than the one I have, as well as the smaller version.

yes, but who will build a 1/25 scale ;)

Thank you!

Hey you guys who are still building.  If anyone is hunting for a set of those wheel covers, Scale Equipment sells them on their site!!!Scale Equipment Ltd.(The link above will work when the forum is restored. Till then, Go to seltd.net - click catalog, wheels, page 3. Or cut and paste the link above in a fresh browser. :-)

we're still here Jairus...just scared of the competition

as for updates, i have my body mostly done

the glass is in , interior ready to go in

all that is left to "make" is the exhaust

other then that its a mather of putting stuff together

• 2 weeks later...

Two more weeks have passed. :)

i will put ti back on my to do list

hopefully i can get the wifey to help me by giving me some time to work on it

right after i change the oil

cut the lawn

fix the weedwhatcker

whack the weeds

fix the drain

and im sure she can come up with a few more ideas

• 2 weeks later...

well, i was tinkering with her a little bit today and i just couldnt get the hood to close

after a carefull investigation it turned out that the airfilter sits too high...the same airfilter/carb combination i snatched from the partsbox

(see what happens when you cut corners?)

so i guess i will paint up the kit supplied pieces and then see if that hood wants to close properly :)

• 4 weeks later...

25 days since anyone posted here and still no updates.

30 some days till the challenge ends...

Really thought it would be a hot idea, guess I was wrong. <_<

25 days since anyone posted here and still no updates.

30 some days till the challenge ends...

Really thought it would be a hot idea, guess I was wrong. <_<

just like evil bay waiting until the last seconds!

• 3 weeks later...