Model Cars Magazine Forum

HOW DO I CHOP OR CUT A MODEL?

no help here brother, only lowrider i ever did was the one in my avatar

but what is it you want to cut ?

the roof, the suspension ?

in the mean time, look over this

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

its a quick search of our "workbench" with lowrider in the title

should be able to find some good info/tricks/inspiration there

I HAVE CHOPPED ROOFS OFF OF MODELS BEFORE WITH A DREMEL TOOL AND IT KINDA MELTED ITS WAY THRU. I ALSO TRIED TO USE AN EXACTO KNIFE BUT THAT TOOK A LONG TIME AND A FEW STITCHES. HAHA. WHATS THE BEST TOOL TO USE ON A PLASTIC MODEL? IM TRYING TO CUT A 64 IMPALA SS INTO A RADICAL STYLE LOWRIDER.

I'VE DONE IT A FEW WAYS,

I HAVE A STAINLESS STEEL SAW BLADE THAT GOES ON MY HANDSHAFT, A RAZOR SAW WORKS GOOD, & THE PHOTO-ETCHED SAW BLADES THAT FIT IN YOUR MODEL KNIFE HANDLE WORK GREAT FOR THE DELICATE PILLERS. MODEL CAR GARAGE SELLS THEM

IF YOUR MAKING STRAIGHT CUTS, THE BACK SIDE OF A NO.11 BLADE WORKS GOOD TOO, PLUS IT REMOVES THE MATERIAL AS YOU GO, INSTEAD OF PUSHING IT TO THE SIDE

I'VE DONE IT A FEW WAYS,

I HAVE A STAINLESS STEEL SAW BLADE THAT GOES ON MY HANDSHAFT, A RAZOR SAW WORKS GOOD, & THE PHOTO-ETCHED SAW BLADES THAT FIT IN YOUR MODEL KNIFE HANDLE WORK GREAT FOR THE DELICATE PILLERS. MODEL CAR GARAGE SELLS THEM

IF YOUR MAKING STRAIGHT CUTS, THE BACK SIDE OF A NO.11 BLADE WORKS GOOD TOO, PLUS IT REMOVES THE MATERIAL AS YOU GO, INSTEAD OF PUSHING IT TO THE SIDE

THANX BRO. GOOD STUFF

X-ACTO-EXTRA-FINE-SAW-BLADE55.jpg

x-acto saw blade - fine tooth. use a #76 wirenut for a handle. put on a couple of layers of masking tape on the good side of your cut so the blade will run against it for a guide and if it slips the scratches will be on the waste. go slow; it's not a race, but a journey.

I NEVER THOUGHT OF THE MASKING TAPE THING. GOOD TIPS BRO. THANX ALOT