Model Cars Magazine Forum

casting a tire

It is a little tricky on tires depending on size, height of sidewall, tread detail ect. Some seam to be able to do part molds and get away with it. I tried a 2 part mold and ripped the mold the first time trying to get the tire out of it. # part mold is much easier to pull apart, but harder to accomplish. Need to tape off the inside of the tire using some good tape.Then pour some rubber up halfwar on the outside.Once cured, carefully pull your tape off from inside and clean without disturbing your seal on the first part of the mold.Then pour some rubber into the cavity of the tire up to the side wall. Once that is cured, then finish pouring the rest of your mold.Keep a couple of things in mind. Make sure the tire is clean before starting!!You want to place your fill tube in a inconspicuos spot(I prefer into the inside of the tire, or another way is to have a cross piece from one side of the side wall to another that you can cut out later) Another thing is it pours better if you also have a tube for air to escape out of, get much better detail that way I think. Make sure you use a good mold release, or once the mold is done and you go to pull it apart, you may have difficulties.LOL. Wont say how I know that one. I have not tried it yet, but Discroll Ultra 3 and 4 paintable mold release is supposed to be eccelant stuff. Also when you cast the tire dont forget to warm your mold first and talc it to help any air bubbles to escape or disapate.Hope this helps. Again if at first you dont exeed, try try again. The best way to learn is to keep trying till you find a method that works for YOU!! Hope you have fun!