Model Cars Magazine Forum

Historic Racing Community Build

W-409

Michael: Looking good so far, I like the Fairlane when it's high and with a big engine. That Thunderbolt looks great too, I'm watching them. :lol:

Jim: Thank you for the answer, now I'm again bit more wise than I was. Thanks.

Now I think, I might get back to my Vette project...

• 2 weeks later...

I think, I join in with another project. Austin Healey. It's going to be Historic group racer, as the Corvette, but 'Vette is Roadsport class car, in Historic class, car must be as it would be when it's built. This one is going to look like somekind of this: Austin. The kit, I'm using is Revell's new release of old kit. There are quite many of parts, but they are not so great quality. Some molding flash etc. Body needs to be assembled from many parts. I glued that thing together with superglue. I also glued the engine halves together, next step is filling and sanding, etc.

NordicChallengesta.jpg

P5122724.jpg

P5122725.jpg

P5122726.jpg

P5122727.jpg

P5122728.jpg

P5122729.jpg

I continued the work with that Austin. I put some putty to the seams of the body. Now I must just sand them smooth. This project is really different than my normal ones, because it's small British car... I also put some putty to the engine and transmission seams... How about the color of this one? I've been thinking British Racing Green or some great shade of red. What do you guys think? Well, it's still long way to go before painting. :D

P5132730.jpg

P5132731.jpg

P5132732.jpg

P5132733.jpg

P5132734.jpg

Thank you, both! That's true that in the real thing there are little seams there, but in this body, there were little holes and it didn't look like factory made. I think, that it looks more realistic with no seams anywhere, because they were looking really bad. Jim, good idea for the color too! I don't know yet, maybe I just leave it for one color. But I can't remember, what color decals I have. I'm planning to use Shelby Cobra decals to this one...

I have sanded the body a bit, and it's getting smooth. Well, it needs some more work still, but the basis seems to be pretty good at the moment. I also painted the engine block green. It needs some clear, because it's matt paint and that doesn't look good. I painted it green, because the instructions said so, I have no idea about the real thing's engine at all. But it's getting close to the primer, but still long way to go.

P5132736.jpg

P5132737.jpg

P5132738.jpg

P5132739.jpg

P5132742.jpg

P5132743.jpg

since there is no timeline this cbp count me in im going to be doing once i get the kit... possibly a 64 ford fairlane! its going to be modeled after an actaul car! but if this did have a time line then there would be no way i can get it done cause the actual car is not even in paint yet!

im going to be getting a ford mod II motor for it and its got a name

im calling it get this ... "ALTERED EGO"!

GOOGLE it and you will understand why its a good thing that this cbp have a no time frame on it! (ie powerblocktv.com)

Sean, you are on the entry list. Thank you, for joining in. There is no deadline for the build, only last day to join in, but don't know about that yet... But I'm sure that there is no deadline for building.

• 3 weeks later...

Where are all projects? I'm just interested about them....

My Austin took a little step forward. The progress is slow, and Corvette is also waiting for builder. :unsure: But I added some more putty to the body, and painted some clear to that engine. Now it's looking pretty good, but let's see how it looks like when it's dry. I also sanded the putties smooth. Now I think, that if tomorrow is a good day, meaning the weather, I'll paint some primer on it. Then I can see how much more filling it needs before the paint, which is going to be British Racing Green, or even close to it.

MCMUpdate.jpg

MCMUpdate5.jpg

MCMUpdate2.jpg

MCMUpdate3.jpg

MCMUpdate4.jpg

Update.jpg

Update3.jpg

Update4.jpg

Update5.jpg

Sometimes it's hard to believe that this is really 1/25 scale, it feels like it is smaller. Here is a picture of Austin body next to '70 SuperBee body... They are both 1/25 scale, but of course American Muscle Car is bigger.

Update2.jpg

And how about the other Historic Racing CB Builds? They are interesting, but nothing happens?

I didn't get the Austin primered, because I found some new places for putty. Well, maybe today I can paint some primer on it. Oh yes, panel lines need some scribing, but that it easy to do... So there might be an update coming, stay tuned...

I don't know about the other guys, Niko, but my Yenko Stinger is nearly at the final assembly point. I'm working with diymirage (Eelco) on having custom decals made up for both builds I'm doing for this CBP. Once the decals are finalized and sent to me I'll get them on the body, clearcoat it and finish it up. I have the engine for the Corvair Gasser well underway and the body is roughed out. The car's chassis is only in the design stage so far...

Good to hear that your Corvairs aren't forgotten... Just painted some primer to my Austin, the weather was good. It looks quite good, but still some sanding, filling etc must be done before I can lay the color on it.

P6200285.jpg

P6200286.jpg

P6200287.jpg

Edited by W-409

Of course it doesn't make any sense to hurry up with these builds, because there is no deadline. And when there is no deadline, I can finish my builds too in time. :unsure: Anyway, that engine looks really good. Detailing is nice, and great to hear that your computer problem is solved. My Corvette is just waiting for builder, same thing with the Austin. But I hope to get back building them very soon. :lol:

I'm thinking of getting into this one, good thing I still have plenty of time to decide. I've got a monza 2+2 that I've thought about trying to make into a dekon monza (or something similar). I'll have to scratch build some of the body kit as I'm missing one rear piece (goes over the rear quarter). Not sure if it was supposed to have a front spoiler on the kit that I've got, but I don't think it would have been aggressive enough for the style I'm now thinking anyway. If I get the time etc. I'll join in on this later.

Great to hear that you are building a Monza! Those H-Bodies are really nice, and rarely seen. Hope you will get time and you can join this build, of course when there is no deadline, you can build it as long as you want. B)

The more Ithink about it, the more I like the "No Deadline" thing, Nico. It takes the pressure off and leaves it open-ended so that guys can get involved way into the future if they see the CBP thread later on. The "Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music" CBP that I started a few months ago that was due to end at the end of the year may well have that changed to become open-ended too.

The more Ithink about it, the more I like the "No Deadline" thing, Nico. It takes the pressure off and leaves it open-ended so that guys can get involved way into the future if they see the CBP thread later on. The "Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music" CBP that I started a few months ago that was due to end at the end of the year may well have that changed to become open-ended too.

Yes, and then, since there is no pressure, maybe the finished products are better, because no one is hurry. I like building without deadlines, always for example, if model car show is on the next weekend, I'm getting hurry, and maybe the finished product is not as good, as it could be... The Cars Of Rock 'n' Roll and County Music is a great community build, but my progress is just too slow, because the Merc' needs lots of work. The body needs to be sanded, and filled again, and chassis maybe needs some cutting, not sure of that yet, but stuff like that... It would be great to have that as open-ended CBP.