Model Cars Magazine Forum

silly air tank question

i was thinking , what if i got a 10 gallon air tank and filled it with air (like what else am i gonna put in it lol ) how long would that last with an airbrush , any idea , i am thinking this so i don't have to listen to the compressor , unless i buy another compressor , a quiet one

there are a lot of variables regarding that question, like how much will you be using the airbrush, what pressure will you have your airbrush set to, viscosity of your paint materials, how much air you actually put into the tank based on what it's rated for...

but I think there are a few people here that can give you a ballpark idea.

Well years ago, thats what I did. I would go down to the gas station and fill my portable air tank to 150 psi, take it home and paint my model with the regulator set at 40 psi. At the time it worked great, useing testors paint to paint my models. Now days useing automotive paints, I would probily have to make a couple of trips.

I did the same thing, filled a 10 gal. tank ,from my bigger noisy old monster. I got about 15 min. of 12-15 lb. spraying before refill. It's o.k. for a little while, but then, I got the itch for more time and more parts to paint in one session. Went online and bought a generic compressor similar to an Iwata, whisper quiet and no heavy draw on the electric bill.

See if you can find a Nitrogen cylinder; the type carried by HVAC service people and plumbers. Refills are not free, but it holds 3000 psi. I'm a plumber and my employer issued me one, but I have 2 of my own.

See if you can find a Nitrogen cylinder; the type carried by HVAC service people and plumbers. Refills are not free, but it holds 3000 psi. I'm a plumber and my employer issued me one, but I have 2 of my own.

I agree 100% To me, I think it does better then a compressor does if you do find 1 make sure you take out the pick-up tube.

post-750-0-87043100-1364785844_thumb.jpg