Model Cars Magazine Forum

R&r Vacuum Craft

I've never built anything from R&R but I have seen several nice builds using R&R stuff. From what I've heard the quality is all over the place, some is very nice and some is rather rough. Doesn't sound like quality control, more likely the older stuff is not as nice as the more recent offerings.

If you are comfortable with resin it shouldn't be a problem, I've never heard anybody say any of the stuff is unbuildable, just more work. If you are new to resin you might want to see if you get some feedback specific to that body so you don't jump into the deep end on your first resin kit.

I have the R&R '61 Olds, and yes it will need quite a bit of cleanup before jumping in. The casting itself isn't bad, but it has (had) excessive flash around the rockers and the roofline.

Ray (or whoever did the master) grafted the roof off of the '62 Chevy Belair, and from a distance the conversion looks nice. But I can see where some of the original contours of the 4 door hardtop kit were sanded away to do the conversion, and weren't replaced as per the 1:1.

Yes, the chassis from the '62 Pontiac will work, but not without some stretching as I believe the '61 Olds 88's chassis was a bit longer than the '62 Pontiac Catalina. Forget the chassis out of the kit! It's totally useless as it's from the old '59-'60 promo and doesn't fit wheelbase wise whatsoever! :lol:

The interior is repopped out of the old '61 4 door kit................it's very shallow as a lot of kits were back in those days. If I ever build this one, I'd much rather replace the interior with something from the Chevy (with proper seat patterns) and make it presentable.

Stay tuned as I'll dig the kit out of one of my storage boxes and take some pics to demo....................I'll also see if I have one of the '62 Poncho kits' chassis to try on for size. :)

Okay, here's a few pics of the '61...........

P1132074-vi.jpgP1132075-vi.jpgP1132077-vi.jpgP1132078-vi.jpg

If you want to read more thoughts I have on the kit and whatnot, give a click here..........I put a description under most of the pics. (18 in all) You can decide if you want to go on with buying one or not.

I will say that Ray's models are not for the faint of heart, and while not impossible to build, they do require a bit more work than say Modelhaus to make presentable. His prices are very reasonable though for what you get IMO..................but expect to put some time in to make a showpiece. :)

Hope this helps! ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

Thanks a bunch for the pics, They show exactly what I was looking for. I am no stranger to resin , both good and bad. I think I could handle this one, but it all may be for nothing, as I sent the seller a question ( the kit is on Ebay) and I have yet to receive an answer. I will not bid on an item if the seller can't respond to a question , we shall see. Again thanks tons!!