Model Cars Magazine Forum

Taking pictures of your models

Jairus

Thanks for getting this one back on track, folks.

Dave, I'm sorry you haven't gotten anything out of the thread. I posted it thinking that people would want to start talking about how they want or have taken their photography to the next level.

I used Ken's work because he is one of those builder who goes out of his way to take his photographs to the next level, using a combination of models and dioramas.

There's also a big difference in my book between making a video and taking photos. Few model builders take videos of their work. The normal route is taking photos.

What I am trying to avoid (and that would be a first on any forum) is feel like I have to run my threads or posts ideas through an APPROVAL COMMITTEE (made up of very small minded individuals) that decides what is useful or valuable, or what people are going to get from my threads or posts. When an idea excites me, I tend to want to share it. It's that simple. Last time I checked, we all share the same privilege and rights . . .

I think the forum works beautifully under the basic tenant of the freedom of expression which says that we all have a right not to post, or post, or that, if we post, we have to share something that people can then decide for themselves if it is useful to them or not, whether they like it or not, whether they want to contribute a post or not, JUST AS they are TOTALLY FREE to ignore the thread or my next post and move on to the endless menu of great threads on this forum.

In short, my recommendation to these folks is if the grass seems to be greener elsewhere, then go elsewhere, but yet several people insist on walking their pet views on my grass to simply derail my threads or cause trouble.

Needless to say, it gets old fast, but it ain't going to work. Doctor Cranky is neither going to start his own forum or stop posting the stuff he feels important, regardless of whose work I use or what intentions I have in mind.

Your point is well taken, Dave, but I've posted such threads already, I'm just trying to mix it up a little, and I was hoping OTHERS would bring in their expertise in the field, and their own work. After all, isn't that what most threads should do, invite others to share?

Hey, I'm all for using my work, but I really want to see other's stuff too . . . .

Okay, getting back on the subject here: Dave, the 3-sided diorama you mention done by Ken is this one:

100_0182-vi.jpg

And it sat in the offices of SAM for a number of years, and Ken was lucky enough to finally get it back.

100_0174-vi.jpg

I know this article and build inspired a whole bunch of people to try their hand at this kind of photo backdrop. I know it inspired me to try it, except I found a two-side version to be a bit easier to do . . .

Here's a picture of the start of it. Again, I was in the same frame of mind looking for a way to take better pictures of my models.

004-vi.jpg

Hey Virgil,

Just thought id share a way that I like to take pics of my builds outdoors sometimes.

Its not really next level or an elaborate set up, but I feel its a cool way of getting a different type of pic.

Basically I just hose down the concrete which forms a shallow puddle,which helps to capture reflections of the model.

Image013.jpg

impala6111.jpg

92tbird2.jpg

1970buickwildcatcomplete31.jpg

completedcustomchopperoutdoorpics43.jpg

Where was I, yes, the two-sided photo op base . . .

026-vi.jpg

You work hard on your scene, and the payoff is excellent . . . of course, and sadly, after shooting your models time and again on such a base, it gets to be a little boring . . . so then it's off to the next thing . . .

Hey Virgil,

Just thought id share a way that I like to take pics of my builds outdoors sometimes.

Its not really next level or an elaborate set up, but I feel its a cool way of getting a different type of pic.

Basically I just hose down the concrete which forms a shallow puddle,which helps to capture reflections of the model.

Image013.jpg

impala6111.jpg

92tbird2.jpg

Very nice!

Hey Virgil,

Image013.jpg

impala6111.jpg

92tbird2.jpg

OH MY, LUKE, that's FANTASTIC. Wonderful. So you basically scout for such a location. Your pictures are professional and they make those models SOAR. Thanks for sharing.

So this place you've found is near you? What kind of place is it?

Any technical tips you might share are greatly appreciated. Thanks, chap.

Its in my back yard.

The main tip is to make sure the water isnt to deep.

Luke, the other question I have for you is if you think this effect can be replicated on a table top photo studio? Of course, for those who don't have access to such a great back drop, or who hesitate to take their models out . . . just curious.

I have seen reflective pics done indoors.

I think it could be done on table top using a sheet of glass with a black piece of poster board underneath.

Not only do models look great like this, but real cars. I did a Google Image search and came up with a bunch of great examples.

I think you are on to something here, Luke. That would make a great challenge for people posting their models over in UNDER GLASS.

636281720_6f1c71f0c2_z.jpg?zz=1

Seeing pics in 1:1 mags is kinda where I got the idea to try it.

Edited by Cool Hand

Its in my back yard.

The main tip is to make sure the water isnt to deep.

I have seen reflective pics done indoors.

I think it could be done on table top using a sheet of glass with a black piece of poster board underneath.

Oh man, now you got me thinking about the glass with color underneath . . . or maybe a shallow tray painted black or midnight blue that you can flood with water, enough to make the model reflect. Love the idea . . .

Has anyone else tried this sort of effect? I know I've seen it mostly in real car magazines . . .

I do remember seeing a model photographed on such a mirror surface with soap bubbles all around it. I wish I knew where I had seen it.

Special effects in photos, like fire and smoke . . . etc . . . those would all be very cool.

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Oh man, now you got me thinking about the glass with color underneath . . . or maybe a shallow tray painted black or midnight blue that you can flood with water, enough to make the model reflect. Love the idea . . .

My guess would be that it doesnt really need to be a glass surface as long as the suface is very smooth,highly reflective and clean,It should still work.

Main thing is to move the model and camera around to find the angle and postion to capture the reflection.

Luke, i've admired those pics for a long time! very cool to see how you accomplished them and a bigger picture of what the area is that you are using.

one of the things i'd like to accomplish in scale with model photography is the car under a streetlight at night. i think that would be very cool with the right subject.

Thankyou very much Dave.

The night shot sounds like a very cool idea,It would be challenging but worth a try for sure.

I have thought about trying to take pics using the light of a full moon.

I don't know about you guys but I look at the positive side of every thread, those pictures with the puddle of water and the beautiful models photographed on top just inspired me to do something similar. Thanks for sharing guys!

Marcos, that's why I keep making these kinds of posts, eventually someone is going to appreciate the work others bring to the table and get that SPARK to do something wonderful. You, for one, take excellent pictures of your models. I'd love to see that 62 T-bird of yours in this kind of set up.

Thanks for sharing, Cruz!