Model Cars Magazine Forum

what you guys use to glue a model

Hi, i just want to make a 4 doors 72' Toyota Corolla into a 2 door coupe, seeing the ccorect way of doing it, is cutting and to make a shorter wheelbase. What do you guys use?? its any kind of filler or glue specificaly for that, any suggestion or advice anything you use to make it possible???

By the way this is the model that im currently working on........

m__lFKimp64aIFbfQ0W_XFg.jpg

Tamiya makes both good cement & putty, and is widely available.if you do decide to make the body shorter, put tape where you are going to cut and make the cuts inside the taped sections. that way, if the saw or knife slips, it will hit the tape instead of good plastic underneath. any tape is better than none, but a thick tape used in embossing label makers forms an edge to rest your cutting tool against (i've used Dymo-tape brand).

• 4 weeks later...

I use BSI (bob smith industries)5 second,it's a purple bottle, it comes in a various of time sets extremely fast and longer also offers other lines of cements and apoxys. The guy at my local hobby shop recommeneded it said "only need the tinyest drop" and he wasent lying the stuff is great ive been useing it for about 3 years now and still on the first bottle I've bought almost out but I've bought another bottle to replace it when it runs out

Edited by Xploited

i've wanted to try the Model Masters.

Q: over the life of the contents, does the applicator stay "sharp"? - unclogged and not needing to be cut back.

i don't want to go through the hassle of the long tube things that need to be filled over again; forgot their name but made by Flexi-file people i think

Bsi tends to build up if your not carefull with your tip , those long flexi tips do work and can be used but as you said can be a pain , I find cut the tip as small as you need and just cut the tip back to it's original point once it cakes all up yes can be a pain but I like the fast set to it.

For cement, I primarily use Tamiya, I have both their standard cement (orange bottle) and extra thin (green bottle) on hand. For super glues, I've been using both Loctite GO2 and Gorilla brands, depending on what plastic I'm working with. For filler, I use Bondo Professional Spot and Glazing putty, part #801. Any auto parts store should have it. It'll be the one with 2 tubes in it, putty and hardener.

Off topic, but concerning your build. You're wanting to make a 2 door from a 4 door, and I take it you're trying for a replica stock build? You might do some research on the car before you start cutting. See if you can possibly fins a site with the dimensions and perhaps some good side views of it. Most cars do not necessarily have a different length/wheelbase for 2 and 4 doors. Usually, the 2 door will have longer doors, and perhaps a different roofline. You may only need to move the B pillar back, then rescribe the door lines.

BSI also makes a line of applicator tips for their CA (also fit Goldberg Jet series CA bottles) bottles. They're polyethylene plastic, to which CA absolutely will not stick--if I find the end of their needle-point plastic applicator tips clogged, generally I can clear the tip with my fingernails.

Art

I have one of those tips you speak of, I was talking to the guy at my hobby shop and I said that I noticed I got fogging on my parts when I used to much and he suggested the tips and gave me one to try so if I liked it I could grab a Baggie of them , I've still yet to try it but I imgine there as good an invention as sliced bread. I just went with the a little goes a long way advice and it's still sitting on my shelf for that special project that needs just that little bit of extra love