Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '62 Corvette Roadster 2'n1

Dr. Cranky

Maybe you missed this post on page three.

Based on Garry's profile shot above, this is another diecast-to-styrene kit from Revell. It's the "Route 66" Vette from a few years back.

I am planning on using a P/E set for mine so I am not worried about eliminating those letters at all. I am working on one right now and so far I added the front bezels and painted the model also. All I need is to polish that clear.

iproject11and62Vetteproject009-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

62Corvetteproject2007-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Great job on the paint Cruz, may I ask what color you used?

I think after reading all the pros and cons, the PE set is the way to go ifin you want all the flash on your build. I'm going for a shave and six tailights.47686784d1324195496-six-tail-lights-various-july-2007-055.jpg

It's difficult to tell from this angle , but I wonder if --given the car's country-of-residence-- those inside laights are ambre ? I know that many countries require ambre lenses or bulbs for turn signals / hazard lights .

I can speculate that the hardtop roof will be in a subsequent issue of this kit. I can also speculate that there might a gasser-type version, but how much it might actually be changed from the stock version tooling would be a big question in my mind. TIM

PS - no insider knowledge here, just guessing! TB

An educated guess, I'd say Tim, based on the apparent presence of hardtop glass in some iterations of the preproduction samples...

Hmm. Yeah. A gasser for the next version would be very cool.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Would those of who will not to buy this kit because of the lack of a top in this version buy the kit if the next version includes only a hard top, and not a soft top?

Yea. Haha! I don't like buying a convertible especially, without an uptop. Kit just doesn't seem complete. I'm also waiting on Aoshima to tool up engines for the 86 before I buy them.

Would those of who will not to buy this kit because of the lack of a top in this version buy the kit if the next version includes only a hard top, and not a soft top?

Somone would then complain of the lack of a soft top or boot!

It wouldn't matter to me whether it's the hardtop or soft top. But,since I've saw the issues with the mold lines,my interest in this kit is waning quickly. Judging by photos of the real car, it looks like Revell got the placement of the emblems on the header panel wrong anyway. I guess they had to space the script and emblem further apart to make room for that mold line. :rolleyes: I'm not up for having to spend another $13.99 plus $5.50 shipping for a photo etch set for this kit. Even with a photo etch set, it's going to be very tough to get the Corvette script placed and spaced apart perfectly. It can be done, but it sure isn't going to be easy.

It looks like these two parts, visible in the iHobby 2011 pics, are no longer included in the kit? One appears to be an anti-sway bar and the other a round...custom air cleaner, maybe?:

revell62Corvetteihobby.jpg

I assume the hardtop's rear and side glass piece (blue arrow) is not included, either?

How many of you road race fans knew that a Corvette was entered in the 1962 Le Mans 24 Hour race? It was news to me when I ran across a picture in my "Le Mans" two book set back in '06:

1962LM02.jpg

I have shot the restored car and collected lots of pix from 1962 HERE. An interesting and little known car but too far down my list of projects. If you decide to build one, be sure to post pix.

Yesterday I started working on the Revell '62 Corvette for a future Gasser project I have underway.

Like many of us, I was a little put off by the location of the parting line across the front, just above the "Corvette" letters.

Well, I've just changed my mind.

It took less than a minute with an X-Acto knife to scrape away the parting line, without touching the Corvette lettering.

This was helped in that the parting lines on this body are amongst the finest (read well-done) I've ever seen on a kit.

Really guys, it was a breeze.

I haven't painted the body yet, so I'll post an update later if I run into any trouble after the paint goes, at which point the reflective surface would highlight any residual issues with the parting lines.

Just goes to show (once again), you can't really judge a kit appropriately until you build it.

Best regards...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I'd be interested to see or hear (Mike?) if other kits produced at a later date than Erik or Craig's (and I think this is where the laser date thing might come in handy) have the same body mold misalignment issue or not.

Like many of us, I was a little put off by the location of the parting line across the front, just above the "Corvette" letters. Well, I've just changed my mind. It took less than a minute with an X-Acto knife to scrape away the parting line, without touching the Corvette lettering. This was helped in that the parting lines on this body are amongst the finest (read well-done) I've ever seen on a kit.

Tim, was the nose parting line in your kit the same as shown on Erik's kit below, or were both "sides" even, without one side higher then the other, as seen on Erik's kit's body?:

Casey...this is the third time I've tried to respond to your note....\\\\\\\\\\\

Let's see if I can make it stick this time.

I don't recall the mold parting oine being as exagerated as the one in your photo. It was even all the way across., and very, very light in totality.

I bought my kit the first day it officially went on sale. I had to have the guys at Nankin Mills Hobby go back in the storeroom to fish it out - it wasn't even on the shelves yet. So presumably it would be relatively early in the kit's production run.

Best regards and again, sorry for the delay in responding, I tired first yesterday just after you posted. TIM

Edited by tim boyd