Model Cars Magazine Forum

Raptor Hauler - A Big Truck for a Big Man

Raul_Perez

The modifications you made to the bed look awesome. Scrolling through the thread the first version looked good but at the same time like it needed something. Then I get to where you pie-cut the back to match the fender and it all came together perfectly. Leaning it forward also gives the truck a sense of motion even tho it's sitting still. I also really dig the dual hatch bed cover too, never seen such a thing done before.

Question about the hood: Have you ever considered rounding the rear lower edge? Every other line on the truck is rounded and swoopy and that one hard, right angle really stands out (to my eyes anyhow.) Just a thought...

Thanks, Dennis!

Yes, that perfectly vertical and flat back just didn't fit with the rest of the build. I though of adding a small extension to the trailing edge, kind of like a wing, but I didn't like the look of it. Leaning it in was the answer I was looking for.

I went with the side opening lids because this truck is being built to typically have a trailer behind it. The side opening lids make everything easier to get to. That's also why there's no tailgate.

BTW: I like your idea about rounding the back edge of the hood. This thing is still in the early primer stages, so I might just go ahead and make that change.

Wow! What a difference! You're right, it's still a rather vast expanse, but now, as Dennis points out, there's some contour and surface development to echoe the rest of the truck. It really brings things together. Instinct and a builder's eye - that's what's it's all about...

Thanks, Bernard! I may not always know what looks good and right, but I seem to be pretty good at spotting something that's way wrong! <_<

Later,

Now that looks good, cant wait to see what you do to the trailer.

Thanks, Clay! All I've done to the trailer so far was to add the 23" Chrome T's. They need to be narrowed to work, but they really fill up those little fenders! :o I stll have to do some design work to give it a little "Raptor" flair!

What a great concept!

That with your superb craftsmanship is mind boggling.

Thanks, Geezerman!

It comes from all those years of inadvertently sniffing glue while I was building models as a youngster! <_<;)

Later,

OK, I don't know how I overlooked this thread, but I did. Anyway, this is great customizing! The Raptor, while nicely done, doesn't hold a candle to this beauty in progress. You're making every modification not only work, but work in harmony with the other modifications & thus you're create a wonderful visual flow.

Since every custom is the subjective view of it's creator, & outside viewers may agree or disagree with his ideas, I'm not going to criticize elements I may not like as well as you do Raul, but instead focus on the myriad of features I do like. The use of the 50 Ford custom front end is inspired to say the least, & is superbly integrated into the fenders by your excellent idea of moving the wheels openings forward, decreasing the visual bulk & mass that first existed with that front end addition.

I wasn't entirely sold on your bed idea until you did lean the back of it forward, which keeps that harmonious flow, & provides the right visual cue to end the truck. Also the slant fits in nicely with the slope on the rear of the Raptor, helping to tie the two models together very nicely.

The addition of "skirts" to the running boards is something that to my eyes doesn't always work successfully, but you've done a great job of making them work. An idea here:, since you're doing so many softer & rounder edges through the truck, rounding off the front & back of each fender/skirt just a touch at the bottom might work even better visually.

This is great work!!! A very nice mix of retro & modern & most of all, an extremely practical &, (if built in 1/1), drivable piece of art.

Thanks, Mark!!

Oh no...the truck can't look better than the show car it's hauling!! <_<;)

You are 100% right on the fact that "every custom is the subjective view of it's creator, & outside viewers may agree or disagree with his ideas." I sometimes don't even like my own work! :o

As one other person wrote, and I tend to agree, moving the front wheel openings forward even on a stock build makes it look a lot better, tying the look of the front fender design to that of the rear.

I think that the skirts on the running boards works on this truck because I added material to the top and the bottom of the stock board. This filled the gap between the board and the bottom of the door while also lowering the overall appearance of the body to the ground.

Later,

I went with the side opening lids because this truck is being built to typically have a trailer behind it. The side opening lids make everything easier to get to. That's also why there's no tailgate.

That gives me an idea for my bed cover, I think of instead of doing the tilt cover I will do one that comes straight up, since it will always have a trailer behind it. I still wish it was a Studebaker truck cause I would use the stude decals I have on it.

Project really lookin' great :o .

Got more time to "Lurk" around ;) now, and check out everyones builds and just enjoy them, now that mine is done <_< .

Keep up the the good work Raul - Dave

Thanks, Dave! Isn't it funny how they always look different in primer than they do in raw plastic? This isn't the first time that I took the saw to a model AFTER it was in primer! :P

looking good keep pics coming! :o

Thanks! If I was retired like TreeHugger Dave, I might be a bit quicker with the pics, but I'm still a working man with kids in college! :P

Later,

dude its under the front of the seat of course LOL

looks tight raul but one question am i blind because i dont see any tail lights you know that could be a big problem in 1:1 cars

:rolleyes::rolleyes::o:o;):P

get it

:rolleyes:: driving like nothings wrong

:o: heading for a crash

:angry:: and the other driver when all is said and done

dang i need to go build now way to much time on my hands

;):P:angry:WOW

But the hitch????? izzit hidden or????

Thanks, Mike!!

Actually, I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go with a traditional receiver type of hitch or a 5th wheel. Once I decide I'll simply add the hole where I need it.

dude its under the front of the seat of course LOL

looks tight raul but one question am i blind because i dont see any tail lights you know that could be a big problem in 1:1 cars

No...I'll add the taillights after it's painted. They'll be the same as the ones I used on the Raptor. Yes, the ones on the trailer will be the same, too...

Later,

raul my friend....truck i turning out so awesome....once again my hat is off to u...i cant wait to see them rolling down the interstate to a goodguys meet....neal

Thanks, Neal!! How's that '35 Chevy coming along??

Anyway, after reshaping the back end of the bed, I decided that the second "tail" had to go. The one on the roof matches the one on the Raptor, but the second one just didn't look right and would really just be dangerous in 1:1, so I let my trusty Dremel have its way with it. ;)

Here are a couple of final shots of the bed before I decide how to mount the trailer (5th wheel style or receiver hitch)...

Before:

DSC06002-vi.jpg

Now:

DSC06008-vi.jpg

DSC06009-vi.jpg

DSC06013-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking,

:lol: Well Raul, you dun gone an dun it agin dintcha? You just come up with these neat ideas or do you use drugs? I once did, but found I couldn't get anything done, so I quit. Your lil truck n rod are great! You REALLY gonna hafta pull out the stops on the trailer, caz it's just GOTTA be as cool as the rest of the rig! Another GREAT job you've gotten us into....AGAIN!!!! :lol:

Thanks, Neal!! How's that '35 Chevy coming along??

Anyway, after reshaping the back end of the bed, I decided that the second "tail" had to go. The one on the roof matches the one on the Raptor, but the second one just didn't look right and would really just be dangerous in 1:1, so I let my trusty Dremel have its way with it. :P

Here are a couple of final shots of the bed before I decide how to mount the trailer (5th wheel style or receiver hitch)...

Before:

DSC06002-vi.jpg

Now:

DSC06008-vi.jpg

DSC06009-vi.jpg

DSC06013-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Hey my friend :lol:

Your truck is "Lookin' Goooood" :lol: . I like the changes. Fun watchin' this all come together :P

Lot's of subtle and not so subtle changes, and lot's of details, add up to a nice package.

All the best - Dave :lol:

loving it!!!

Wow!!! Another great build, Raul! Have you started the trailer yet? Can't wait to see the set completed! I like the major custom touches, but also like those touches that most aren't going to even notice :P .

Thanks, guys!!

Dirk,

I haven't started any of the custom work on the trailer yet. I'll be working on it this weekend.

Yeah...most of my custom work is pretty subtle (except for the peak on the roof on this one). :lol: Most people would not notice that I moved the front wheel opening forward 5 scale inches unless they were familiar with the original design. The same goes for the pie-cut hood.

Even less noticeable is the 1 scale inch that I added to the inside edge of the rear fenders to make them align with the running boards while not leaving a gap between the fender and the bed...

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

:lol: Well Raul, you dun gone an dun it agin dintcha? You just come up with these neat ideas or do you use drugs? I once did, but found I couldn't get anything done, so I quit. Your lil truck n rod are great! You REALLY gonna hafta pull out the stops on the trailer, caz it's just GOTTA be as cool as the rest of the rig! Another GREAT job you've gotten us into....AGAIN!!!! :o

Thanks, George!! No, no drugs...it's just the residuals and remnants from too many years of inadvertently sniffing Testors tube glue while I was building models as a kid. Who knew back then that it was bad for you??? I didn't know until my mom had to start buying the stuff for me because I was too young!! :blink:

Hey my friend :P

Your truck is "Lookin' Goooood" :lol: . I like the changes. Fun watchin' this all come together :P

Lot's of subtle and not so subtle changes, and lot's of details, add up to a nice package.

All the best - Dave :D

Thanks, Dave!!

Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun building this set. The interior is going to be a bit of work if I make it look as nice as I want it to. On this particular model, the interior features for the door panels are molded to the inside of the door; kind of like there is no interior structure to the outer door skin...pretty funky stuff. I've got to decide how I want to make it look more realistic (with or without the parts I have from a '99 F150 Lightning truck kits).

Later,

Looking good Raul, Keep the progress pics coming.

Ed

Man this thing is just come'ng out wicked bad, I've watched It sense I asked what that thing on the roof was, exellente job, true insperation....

Thanks guys!!

Here's a rough side-view mockup of the trailer with the front section of the trailer roughly formed in PowerPoint.

I want something that looks aerodynamic and like it would be used to haul a show car. I also wanted to be able to clearly see the show car while it was on the trailer.

This also shows how the overall stance of the truck with the trailer behind it. Since I've decided to go with this type of a shape for the front of the trailer, I'll be using the traditional receiver type of hitch instead of the 5th wheel option that I was concidering. Yes, Clay...since I won't be using them, I'll send you the hitch parts from the kit.

Trailer01-vi.jpg

Later,

Thanks guys!!

Here's a rough side-view mockup of the trailer with the front section of the trailer roughly formed in PowerPoint.

I want something that looks aerodynamic and like it would be used to haul a show car. I also wanted to be able to clearly see the show car while it was on the trailer.

This also shows how the overall stance of the truck with the trailer behind it. Since I've decided to go with this type of a shape for the front of the trailer, I'll be using the traditional receiver type of hitch instead of the 5th wheel option that I was concidering. Yes, Clay...since I won't be using them, I'll send you the hitch parts from the kit.

Trailer01-vi.jpg

Later,

Ahhh Yeees :lol: Lookin' very cool!!!!

Getting closer.

We're all waiting RAUL :lol::lol: