Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage fire engine WIP

Aw, shucks. T'weren't nothing, really. -_-

Seriously, yours will be done a whole lot sooner than mine will! Wear it in good health. B)

I consider it well invested. Besides, now I have a good excuse for not getting that thing onto my bench for awhile! :lol:

I assembled and painted the main body, and it's in the dehydrator. Photos to come. But in the meantime...

The kit comes with a four man crew. Not little green men... :P... but in this case little blue men. Here are three of them with their front and back halves glued together. I first clamped the halves together, then ran liquid cement all along the seams.

Tip: Those little alligator clamps you see are perfect for clamping irregular parts like these. The sharp little teeth will grab tightly in places were regular spring clamps like the colored plastic ones you see here would slip right off. I found a pack of them in the electrical aisle of the local home center. I don't remember what the bagful of them cost, but they were literally pennies a piece... something like 10-12 cents each. You can never have too many clamps!

crew_zps85d4cffb.jpg

The fourth figure had been started... the only part of this kit that had actually been touched at all before I bought it. As you can see, the paint job on this guy is "less than professional"... :lol: ... so once I glue his broken arms back on, I'll repaint him (and paint the rest of my little blue man group).

driver_zps4ce6a6df.jpg

I assembled and painted the main body, and it's in the dehydrator. Photos to come. But in the meantime...

The kit comes with a four man crew. Not little green men... :P... but in this case little blue men. Here are three of them with their front and back halves glued together. I first clamped the halves together, then ran liquid cement all along the seams.

Tip: Those little alligator clamps you see are perfect for clamping irregular parts like these. The sharp little teeth will grab tightly in places were regular spring clamps like the colored plastic ones you see here would slip right off. I found a pack of them in the electrical aisle of the local home center. I don't remember what the bagful of them cost, but they were literally pennies a piece... something like 10-12 cents each. You can never have too many clamps!

crew_zps85d4cffb.jpg

The clamps reminds me of prona fish. LOL

The floor where I build is ceramic tile. Great for finding dropped parts (no "carpet monster" to deal with), but sometimes a problem.

I dropped my bottle of liquid cement. The glass bottle is pretty thick and would most likely have survived the fall. But just my luck... the bottle hit the floor cap first. The hard plastic cap shattered and the liquid cement went all over the floor.

Not a total catastrophe, though... the cement was about 80% used up anyway, so I didn't lose all that much. But still, I had to stop building and it forced a trip to Hobbytown to get another bottle. :rolleyes:

The hood was painted a "gunmetal" color to match reference photos, the hinges have had a black wash added, and the louvers are brass plated kit parts that have been sprayed with transparent window tint. The hinges are just for show, they don't really work... the hood is a "lift off" type thing. If I was crazier than I already am I could have found tiny piano hinges online and theoretically made the hood panels actually hinge... but I won't go to that length here. Maybe if this was a 1/8 scale model... :D

hood-parts_zpsd49c3ed7.jpg

The main body is coming along. I got it painted, added my usual wash where needed (the lines on the top and the brass baseplates for the brass rails to come later), and foiled the trim on the storage door edges on the sides. Trying to get the foil to conform to the molded-in "hinges" at the tops of the storage doors without wrinkling and/or tearing was a real pain. Still much to do on this part of the model, but this is where I'm at as of now:

body_zps0efbad8f.jpg

Let's skip around again... just like I do in "real life" when I build a model. Let's talk about the driver's seat cushion, and how I do diamond-tufted "leather" upholstery. My technique only works in certain applications... like if the upholstered cushion is flat (not curved like in a bucket seat), and only in large scale. I couldn't imagine trying this technique in 1/25 scale!

Here's how I do it. In the photo below you can see the molded kit piece on the left, looking very much not like an upholstered leather cushion! In the center is a piece of 1/8" balsa sheet cut to a size slightly smaller than the finished cushion will be, with the corners rounded by sanding. And on the right is the cushioning material that I cut from a larger piece of foam padding found in the sewing department of Hobby Lobby. I used ordinary scissors to cut a piece to the same size as the balsa backer board, and about 3/8 inch thick. It's not necessary to be super precise with the foam piece... it'll be compressed under the "leather" upholstery:

cushion1_zps17711395.jpg