Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 scale wheel availability questions

1) I'm looking for a set of 1/24 15" 5-slots. These will be for a street machine, so the appearance should be more along the lines of an Ansen Sprint than, say, a Halibrand-type look. I know there are tons of the old Monogram 5-slot wheels, as well as the Japanese/Arii/Ma's Resin versions, but if there is another alternative, please let me know the kit or other source.

2) I'd love to have this Centerline wheel in 1/24 and 1/25. http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/gallery/7/980-100211083518-7407950.jpeg

Does anyone recall if they were ever part of a kit? Bonus points if you can remember the name of the wheel. Google reallllly let me down on this.

3) Did Monogram ever issue a set of 1/24 15" Hurst wheels in any of their kits?

IIRC, they came out in 1965. Were they still considered a viable wheel in 1970?

New - Looks like the originals were 14" & Hurst stopped production in 1969.

Edited by Monty

Those Centerlines are clost to what is in the AMT Pro Street 66 Nova and the 88-90 AMT CK1500 trucks. For the life of me I cannot remember what they are called, but I remember seeing them on a 64 Nova that Lil John Buttera built for his kid

The Ansen Jellybeans are in the Monogram early Iron Street Rods (29 Roadster Truck is one that comes to mind)

RM 1966 Royal Pontiac GTO for the Hurst mags, more than likely they scale out to 14" though

Edited by Blown03SVT

Guest G Holding

Those Centerlines are clost to what is in the AMT Pro Street 66 Nova and the 88-90 AMT CK1500 trucks. For the life of me I cannot remember what they are called, but I remember seeing them on a 64 Nova that Lil John Buttera built for his kid

The Ansen Jellybeans are in the Monogram early Iron Street Rods (29 Roadster Truck is one that comes to mind)

RM 1966 Royal Pontiac GTO for the Hurst mags, more than likely they scale out to 14" though

amt-1966-chevy-nova-pro-street-car.jpg

buttera.jpg

Edited by G Holding

IMO, the best looking five slot mags comes in the SWC or "Big John" Mazmanian '41 Willys coupes. I have a set on a 1/24 scale '66 Chevelle and they look right on it IMO.

The Novette definitely wears them, but Grey Baskerville only refers to them as "Centerlines", without listing the model name:

http://www.auto-nomics.com/documents/HR_0685.pdf

As for the Monogram '27 roadster pickup and '55 Street Machine 5-slots, they are more like 14" wheel "stepped up" to fit the 15" Goodyear Rally GT big 'n' little tires. The '66 Malibu Street Rat 5-slots and Arii wheels you mentioned are the two best 1/24 choices IMHO.

IMO, the best looking five slot mags comes in the SWC or "Big John" Mazmanian '41 Willys coupes. I have a set on a 1/24 scale '66 Chevelle and they look right on it IMO.

Good choice of wheels from the Willys kits and they also need a coat of Testors Dull-Coat as well. Don't forget the valve stems either.

Casey I looked forever online trying to find a page from an old magazine or Centerline catalog. Kudos!

I got lucky paging through the issue with Dobbertin's J-2000 in it.

The Matt and Debbie Hay Chevy Celebrity Eurosport wore the Aeros, which was the other one I couldn't think of.

Ah yes, the triple blown Pro Streeter. I did kind of like that one back in the day. :D

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/pro-street-chevy-celebrity/full/#photo-842412/

The '66 Nova's wheels are really close, but the center cap appears to bigger than the X-Styles. Might be as close as you'll find, though.

The Centerline X wheels are actually available in scale. You can find them in the AMT 1990 Chevrolet Silverado. They have the five holes with the lug nuts barely showing. They're a deep and deeper set of wheels. So, to get four of the same depth, you'll have to come up with two sets.