Model Cars Magazine Forum

We're having a heat wave...

:blink:

Well, yeah! It costs a lot less if you can get it for free! :lol: In fact, if you can get free electric, I'd bet your cost would be darn near zero! :P:lol:

theres places in the city to get free ice if you dont mind the fishy smell they over did it with the ice by switching to dry ice and then switching the fans for blowers. they had 6 blowers circulating cool air into a well insulated apartment by 7pm the place had dropped to 63° im actually impressed with the result but i wouldnt be stupid enough to hang out in there all day just wearing shorts with no t shirts drinking beer

Guest Johnny

AC running full blast all week and it still hits 80* in this brick over of an apartment by mid morning!!!:angry:

The "NEW" "BETTER" AC unit the landlord put in is nowhere as good as the antique unit they replaced! I could start that one up after it being off for three days in 90+ degree weather and have it down to 65* in the living room in about 4 hours!!!

A friend that does HVAC work said that the new units are about 1/3 less BTU's than the old units were!!! Landlord cheaping out again!!!:angry:

Y'all quit cryin' Come to Florida where it's a balmy 89 today!! Hope you enjoy the weather we sent your way....

89 is cool compared to here right now!! According to the latest on The Weather Channel here, it's 95 and the heat index is 108!!

I can't remember the last time it was so hot this early in Central Pa! Perhaps it may have been the summer of '88----------that was a brutally hot time for a loooong stretch!

I took this pic of my car thermometer at 10:40 AM Eastern this morning-----I just returned from the grocery store as I figured it's going to be terrifically hot if I wait til the afternoon. Not to mention the nasty attitudes people can get when it's hot, especially on the road!

Img_0060-vi.jpg

A lot of folks complained about that, but I've never had a problem with it. It's funny that they (the automotive press in particular) griped about that, but never complained about the same type of dash in the Mini Cooper for instance.

Oh well, Saturn (and now Pontiac) is just a memory in GM's stormy history................:unsure:

I've read those gripes in the automotive magazines, but I know quite a few Ion owners, and they've never had anything bad to say about the layout. I've spent some time behind the wheel of Model A Fords, and they have the gauges at the center of the dash, too. So did a lot of cars up until the mid '30's. At one time, it was common, and it really isn't bad once you get used to it. Being that the Saturn's gauges are up higher and more legible, I really don't see the issue. It's a unique feature, if nothing else. :unsure:

Wussy right back atcha. 106 and 10% humidity. That's kid's stuff. I've been to Vegas several times... 100 degrees plus and you don't even break a sweat in that dry desert air.

Try 95 degrees and 70% humidity and see how long you last! :lol:

Hmmm.... 106 and 38% humidity yesterday... and I did a graveside service at noon... in a black suit... in the sun :lol:

I don't mean to make light of anybody's suffering, but monsoon season in Phoenix can be as bad or worse than a Midwest heat wave. I know, I grew up in NE Ohio.

Regards,

David G.

Edited by David G.

Hmmm.... 106 and 38% humidity yesterday... and I did a graveside service at noon... in a black suit... in the sun :lol:

I don't mean to make light of anybody's suffering, but monsoon season in Phoenix can be as bad or worse than a Midwest heat wave. I know, I grew up in NE Ohio.

Regards,

David G.

Yeah...Phoenix has been very mild this summer so far, IMO. At least compared to the last 3 summers (moved here in '08 from Denver). I grew up in E Ohio and S Florida, I know how sticky nasty summers there can be.

...and fixin' to rain like a Mo fo.

G

Speaking of which... yesterday we had 7 inches of rain. SEVEN inches. In ONE DAY. Actually in just a few hours! That set the all-time record here.

You'd think all that rain would have washed away all the heat and humidity, but nooooooooooooo. Still as steamy as the Amazon here... :lol:

98 Fahrenheit seems to be about 36 celsius degrees... It was quite hot in Rome too, walking many miles on a day in burning hot, 38 celsius degrees, that's 100 fahrenheits... Air conditioning would be good here in Finland too, some of you might think, that it's always cold here, but now it has been about +30 celsius degrees almost every day...

Don't mean to bring you all down, but here on the western slope of the Colorado Rockies, things are pretty darn fine. Hot during the day (upper 90s lately), but very low humidity, and cool nights (I'm at just over a mile in altitude, and it was 52 the other morning). We get the monsoons, too, after Arizona's done with them, but they never last long. And yes, I know how lucky I am.