Model Cars Magazine Forum

Utopian Future

Lunajammer

UtopianFuture1.jpg

UtopianFuture2.jpg

FutureSamplePage1.jpg

FutureSamplePage2.jpg

Flying cars, concept cars, custom cars, aero cars, streamliners, wings, show cars, fantasy, retro futurism, shiny steampunk, fins, bubble tops, bullets, anti-gravity, asymetric, avant garde. Can be real detroit concept cars or pure, fantastic fiction.

The science of it is not important. Like conceptual cars, the art of the idea is what counts. The spirit of the build is utopian. Battle machines and weaponry are out. Prefer no rust and gunk but if it contributes to the wonder of your machine it's allowed. Whether from the distant past looking to the near past, or today looking to the future. It doesn’t have to be our future, could be your grandfather’s vision, short term or long term.

Runs 2013 through 2525 ("...if man is still alive.") Join anytime.

As usual, must show starting point, partial builds accepted but prefer builds that are less than 50-percent complete.

Can use anything; kits, glue bombs, blister packaging, toy parts, bottles, any material that supports a vision of future transportation from any era.

Edited by Lunajammer

Cool idea Luna!

I`m my current Utopia I would drive a 69 Boss 429 with a JohnKasse built all aluminum fuel injected 429 and 2013 Boss 302 handling department underneath....my Utopia is very loud and not very pc :D . But thats current....in the future I`d like something similar but with magnetic propulsion capabilities and warp drive.

I`m up to my elbows with 2 CBP`s and a few 1;1 jobs for the year allready, but if I have time I may try to turn Utopia upside down. Until then I really look forward to watching the peacefull mayhem.

I just joined the nightmare kit CBP, but I guess I can handle two as I just started one of my bucket list models a few minutes ago, a Waldorf Nomad Corvette.

After all, I was building it anyways...........

Anyway, all I've done so far is cut up a 53 Corvette model and try to figure out what to do next.

Motorcycles welcome Austin.

The plan for my build is involved and I may not get to the masterpiece until a bit later. However I have a quickie to start off with and will show my starting point after the holidays settle.

I'm dying to see what kind of creativity show up here.

I absolutely love the premise of this build. No zombies, no nuclear winter, no vulcan cannons*. The kind of future a rational species should expect and demand. I AM IN !!!

*No offense meant to the post apocalyptic crowd - I've mounted M-134's on a Mustang fastback myself, but right now I crave a more optimistic vision.

P.S.: Nice graphics, Luna. You certainly know your trade.

Edited by Shardik

I look forward to whatever gem you bring forth Johann. I had a brainstorm during my delirious wake up today and I've got an awesome idea. More later.

Thanks too for the graphics kudos. I did them as two pages, but when I loaded them they were too tall for the maximum post height and they scaled way down so I had to cut each page in two, but not equally. That's why they became four unequally sized links. Rats. I'd like to correct them to flow better but I guess they'll do for now.

• 2 weeks later...

*Sigh!* :( You just can't make anything easy, can you Jacen? Well, you've got my attention now.

For my update, I got a pvc plumbing coupler and a bunch of O-rings yesterday that I'll use for the hubless wheel that will drive my Cherry Bomb. I'm also dumping the kit turbine and going with a techno-flurbo-reactonite sort of thing from a box of "Transformers" parts.

• 1 month later...

Boy, did I pick the wrong time to start a CBP. I haven't been at the bench in weeks. But when I got there I worked on the back wheel which began as a PVC plumbing coupler. I liked the ridge on the inside center so to cut the wheel's width I couldn't just lop out the middle chunk and glue the ends. It had to be cut into five pieces.

Wheel_PVCcoupler_zps8bd460f1.jpg

The 2nd and 4th sections are removed and the center and outer rims are glued with PVC glue.

Wheel-PVC-cut_zps754fb984.jpg

Five "O" rings are strapped on for tread and viola'.

Wheel-PVC-finished_zps69d14afc.jpg

This is the rough idea behind the concept.

Mockup_First_zps39ac3714.jpg

The longer I look at this the more it looks like a shoe. A utopian shoe, mind you.

Very clever rear wheel and tire. I like it. Are the front tires going to match?

I may have missed something, but why did you cut the coupler into 5 pieces? It looks like you might have finished the outer edges first.

Edited by SSNJim