Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garage Dio

dannyi

...thank you Charlie!

..got started on the detail work for the '41 Plymouth. It's going to be poised having a brake shoe change. The front shoes have already been swapped out. To save money the mechanic used the old springs and hardware. I guess the owner is a money miser! The rears are next. The front spindle and rear axle shaft will be put on once I get them weathered. Still need to weather the car a little more with some dust and a bit of road grime. The plan is to have the wheels and tires, tools, old and new shoes and other detail items laying around the car also. More to come, thanks for looking in.........

008-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

014.jpg

Danny...I have followed this from day one. Your additions and creativity is outstanding and should be an inspiration to all! I for one am truly inspired but my time is so limited at this point. Now...just how did you create those wheels with brake shoes and springs? Thats really cool...as is the pipes and lighting and heck,just everything !! What is the overall dimensions of this Dio ? Good Stuff is all I can say.

..thanks Mike and Vaughn for the kind words!

..Vaughn, the brake shoe assemblies I make and sell on my web site and E-bay. They don't come with the springs but are not hard to make. I use .008 brass wire for the main return springs, .005 brass wire for the adjuster spring and .003 magnetic wire for the cable to the adjuster lever. I simply wrap the wire around different size piano wire then cut them to length.

The pin at the top of the assembly is a standard straight pin with the head filed flat. For new looking sets I just paint them, for weathered ones I use rust colored paints and powders. The over all dimensions are 25" long x 12" deep x 10" high. Here's a couple of pics of the brake assemblies.....

5.jpg

027-Copy.jpg

026-Copy.jpg

Edited by dannyi

Yes Danny your Amazing, at everything that you do,I've called you a Artist many times, and every piece that you sell is a master piece in its self.

Now your Diorama, is really again a piece of Art.

What's so nice about it, is that it's your complete own mind in this work, it's not a copy of any one thing, it comes from your mind, thats the neat part, the Plymouth, well it would be juyt another Model except for the fact that you really brought it to life with your own Brake Assembles, it's not like another Garage or model out there in the World of Minature!

The Old Man from Indiana

• 2 weeks later...

....got the ceiling/upper floor started. I angled the floor boards like the ones I remember from the factory I worked in, and that was constructed around 1911, so the time line is close. I have the ceiling boards running perpendicular to the ceiling joists. Those boards will get the peeling paint effect like the joistshave. Not a 100% sure yet what I'm doing with the upper floor yet. Thinking about an abanded small parts factory that is now a storage area for car parts, we'll see..........thanks for looking...

023.jpg

026.jpg

0132.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

Danny, it keeps getting better each time that you do something to it,My Dear Father told me about 100 years ago, that floors were made that way to make them Stronger, and the taller building would sway in high winds, a old story,never knew if it was true, but he was a Blacksmith, and worked for a Railroad EJ& something.

Back to you Dio, I'm going to have to go to your place and get a first hand look for myself!

Everytime I come to this Forum, I find so many wonderful enteries, on all sorts of wonderful Cars Trucks Dio's etc, I'm in awl of all of you great builders, and your Talent, of which I could never in my day come close to any of you, but I could Paint some really Awesome 1/10 Scale R/C Trucks, I painted every Big Foot Truck that ran for Chandler, for his Sponsered Driver Tim Powell out of Landcaster Ohio.

The best to you all, and Danny, I remembered what we were talking about, and it was the rear axels.

Keep me posted, and good luck at the Shows!

rctrucker

Danny... with the greatest respect.... and I maybe wrong....... but I believe you may have the floor upside down. From my experience as an architect and property developer, all the structural floors I have seen in old warehouse type buildings, have the main floor boards running diagonally on top of the rafters and the finished floor boards running perpendicular to the building walls.

Your work is unbelievable and I am in great awe of your talents, so I have hesitated to mention this..... and perhaps it has been done in the way you have shown in real life in some cases.... but it may be an idea to double check.

Even in my own house, which is over 100 years old, the second floor is built the way I have mentioned.

I'm getting old and perhaps my memory is fading... but please check it out before you get too far.

Tony

Danny... with the greatest respect.... and I maybe wrong....... but I believe you may have the floor upside down. From my experience as an architect and property developer, all the structural floors I have seen in old warehouse type buildings, have the main floor boards running diagonally on top of the rafters and the finished floor boards running perpendicular to the building walls.

Your work is unbelievable and I am in great awe of your talents, so I have hesitated to mention this..... and perhaps it has been done in the way you have shown in real life in some cases.... but it may be an idea to double check.

Even in my own house, which is over 100 years old, the second floor is built the way I have mentioned.

I'm getting old and perhaps my memory is fading... but please check it out before you get too far.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I appreciate you mentioning this. The way your describing the construction does make sense, and being an architect, I have no doubt your right. Gotta admit I didn't research this much. Just went off memory from the plant I worked in. That complex had over 45 different buildings most being constructed around 1911 to 1913. For what ever reason there were certain areas of the plant where the floors were diagonal and I always thought that looked pretty neat, so I went with it on this. Now I wish I would have inquired about this before stating my floor, would definitely do it the other way. But after gluing over 600+ boards I don't have the gumption to change it!..lol For now anyways I'm just going to hope most people don't notice this detail flaw!

Tony, I can remember a Ice House back when I was a Youngster, the Flooring was on a Angle, that was in South Chicago Ill. and the Stories from all the older folks was that it was made that way because it added strenght to the building and it let the build sway with high winds, as things weren't built up in most areas, and with nothing blocking the wind, anyways in the Midwest, they did things different, I sure that there were many different ways to do things,but I worked in a place called Richies Box Factory and those Floors were also on a Angle, and I remember how smooth they were, from years of wear!

I'll have my Grand Daughter, she's a Structional Engineer at the University of Illinois!see if she has any information.

Well anyway's the Floor looks awesome, and the finish looks great, after 600 boards I say leave it, Tony make believe that it looks striaght.

Myself I'm having a hard time waiting to see what cme next! how about a Steel Staircase going to the second floor!

Mike

...I decided to do a little research on the flooring. Didn't get a great lot of info but there was plenty of pictures with them done both ways, diagonal and perpendicular. Perpendicular was definitely the most common. I just might have to reconsider the floor after I discovered that the diagonal flooring in all the pics I found had flush cuts not angled cuts. Looks like I've learned a couple of valuable lesson here...first..don't rely on just your memory if your like me and can't remember sh..stuff...and second.."take the time to research!" if you what to be fairly accurate. The plan is to enter this at the Detroit DAAM show April 3rd. But with so much to do to get this ready by then, it looks like a new floor will have to wait till after the show.....at least I have some experience at gluing hundreds of coffee stirrers!

One more comment and then I'll shut up!

The main structural floor boards were usually done diagonally, to add rigidity to the floor. The same theory as the triangulation in a sports car or race car frame. Sometimes these structural boards were just left as the finished floor above. That's why, on a single structural floor board construction you would see diagonal floor boards on the second floor and dust coming from between the floor boards below as they shrunk after being installed over a period of time. There were probably exceptions to this rule, as many buildings were constructed by unqualified contractors who didn't always understand structural theories and there was no building dept. authority until the early 1900's to monitor the contruction.

If they added a finished second floor (which wasn't usually done in old warehouses), the finished floor boards would then be laid opposite to the direction of the structural floor boards to create more rigidity or even just for appearance. Sometimes a diagonal finished floor would be added over the original perpendicular floor to either create a more rigid structure and/or to create a more aesthetically pleasing finish to an upper floor, where offices may be built.

Whetever the origin of the floor in your building, Danny, I certainly wouldn't change it at this stage of the dio. No one can say for sure that your building wasn't built the way you've shown it! And after laying over 600 individual boards..... you've got my total respect, just for that achievement alone!!!!

Keep going my friend... and if anyone ever does ask (which I doubt), now you have a little background information to baffle them with!!

Tony

..thanks Tony!...one of the reason I made this dio is because I just love old building like this. There's a lot more character and history in them as opposed to most of the modern ones of today. I really do appreciate your background information, the more I learn the better builder I can become. So please don't shut up! Besides, my long term goal is to keep adding to this, sort of like a modular railroad layout. One day this will sit on a table with multiple building, and having things look period correct would be great. So any info you care to share will the well received!

....a couple up date pics...started the weathering on the sub floor boards, hope to have that done by tomorrow. Then it's on to the main floor boards.....the show is this coming Sunday. Trying not rush through this but I'm hoping to get a lot done this week.....

1092.jpg

110.jpg

Looking great Danny! I would leave the flooring as is. As Tony pointed out, it could have been done this way. I have also seen plenty of examples of NOT-by-the book construction in the real world (which to me, can be much more interesting!)

Thanks Tony for the good info!

Walking my dog today, we walked past several Pressure Treated Fences, and your Flooring looks like the same Color, now the underside is Awesome as well!!

You'll have a lot of people talking about Diorama as well your other Products that you make!

The best of luck at that Show!

Mike A.

Looking great Danny! I would leave the flooring as is. As Tony pointed out, it could have been done this way. I have also seen plenty of examples of NOT-by-the book construction in the real world (which to me, can be much more interesting!)

Thanks Tony for the good info!

..thanks Chuck, I decided to leave it the way it is. Like you guys have said, there were floors that were put down this way....

Walking my dog today, we walked past several Pressure Treated Fences, and your Flooring looks like the same Color, now the underside is Awesome as well!!

You'll have a lot of people talking about Diorama as well your other Products that you make!

The best of luck at that Show!

Mike A.

..thanks Mike, I thought about leaving the upper floor unpainted, but I wanted to try a painted one......

...P.S.......I'll let ya know how the show goes...

...a couple more....the old bath room.....

0073.jpg

0024.jpg

..this is about as far as I'm going with the upper floor till I figure out what I want to do with it......

...thanks for looking and the kind words!!

Edited by dannyi