Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gregg's Builds

Gregg

Why thank you young man!!!

This will have a lot of Bob Dudek parts on it by the time it's pau.

The hub caps and frenched lights to start.

Motor will probably be topped with his Valve Covers, and exhaust, and possibly the tail lights.

The Bare-Metal Foil I have is getting too old.

The side trim is done in the Super Bright Chrome, which I like the look of.

The windows are regular chrome

Mustang1-12Rims.jpgHere's one from before, the Revell 1/12 Mustang Shelby, Jim from MicroNitro.net sent his two new Mustang rims, and I can't make a decision on which one I like better.

So, help me out here guys, the front one or the back one?

Pulled this one out today, I should get this finished as well:

Sunoco512M.jpg

As a note, I posted this pic using the Photobucket link/tutorial.

I need someone with a lathe to make me four of these rims.

I painted them today, they were messed up, dropped them in stripper to take off black paint, and they cracked!

So, I thought maybe I could get some turned aluminum ones made.

I have the other 512 kit as well, so I would need four of each.

Any takers?

post-3-0-40926300-1326439220_thumb.jpg

Pulled this one out today, I should get this finished as well:

Sunoco512M.jpg

As a note, I posted this pic using the Photobucket link/tutorial.

I need someone with a lathe to make me four of these rims.

I painted them today, they were messed up, dropped them in stripper to take off black paint, and they cracked!

So, I thought maybe I could get some turned aluminum ones made.

I have the other 512 kit as well, so I would need four of each.

Any takers?

post-3-0-40926300-1326439220_thumb.jpg

Since you have the other rims from the other kit, why not cast copies of them? Could be an addition to the resin column, two birds with one stoner. If that is the Fisher kit maybe you could get replacements for the wheels and decals...?

You probably don't want to hear this since the decals are already on the body, but I think the color is too light. But it is a bitchin' car, makes me want to build one of my kits of it...

1971-sunoco-ferrari-512m-low-picture.jpg

Jameston at ScaleFinishes.com has the Sunoco Blue, Tamiya's got one that is close, but of course, it all depends on your base coat.

I did mine as I remembered the car as I saw it.

When you take photos from the web, you are in fact only guessing.

What someone sees on their computer will not be the same as someone else's monitor, that's a fact due to monitor calibrations, camera settings, and too much to go into.

I like to go by what I remember, what I saw.

Here's a photo with the gray card next to it, and calibrated for my monitor.

post-3-0-46049300-1326582396_thumb.jpg

i thought someone mentioned the color code for the correct color for Sunoco blue, but i don't see it now?

Yeah Dave, I did. I wonder where it went? Another forum glitch? Or something more sinister afoot...?

In the interest of helping others in the modeling community, what I wrote was, according to Fisher Models a good match for the Sunoco Blue on the 512 is Testors 1111 Dark blue. (I happen to agree that it is close.) I also opined that the one Gregg is doing looked more like it was painted 1110 Medium Blue to me.

For what it is worth, I have a calibrated LaCie monitor, have seen the real car and have the Fisher model and both paints I referenced, (and have a pretty good eye for these things).

I have also viewed it on two other monitors and it looks the same on all three.

And I also know going from memory with no photo reference is a good way for me to mix or choose the wrong color.

I'm not saying Gregg's car is the wrong color, I am saying it looks too light to me.

I'm also curious about something, I shoot almost all my models with digital cameras. From an old Mavica to a fairly new Lumix. The photos look like they capture the color just like they look on the models, and look the same from both cameras. I don't do any color correcting. Even the pictures I shot for articles in the magazine are uncorrected. Why do these photos need to be corrected? What am I missing?