Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gregg's Builds

Gregg

Thanks, Scott. I will try and find some of that decal paper in the gold, or red, or other contrasting color. I tried it once before, didn't have good luck I think.

I have some decals from other aftermarket kits that has some stripes, maybe that would work.

I tried to order the Line O Tape from their site, but I can't get through to the ordering final page. Has anyone else been able to?

http://www.lineotape.com/

Builds look good Greg.

I had to go to an outside source for my linetape products also. But the quality of their products speak for themselves, so worth the extra trouble I think.

Corey

I started playing around with the new Revell '50 Olds kit, I couldn't leave it stock now, could I?

The side trim is in progress.

This is part of the Alclad Chrome series of articles.

I am starting to do chrome trim by spraying Alclad instead of using Bare-Metal Foil.

The problem with doing it this way is that you will rub off the Alclad if you have not finished building the model first.

This photo like I said is in progress.

I will probably redo it after the model is finished (I know, me finish a model?).

Probably will tape up and spray even after all the glass and everything else is in.

I love the results from spraying over the clear coat.

The Alclad looks great. I love the wheels on the Olds. Where did you find them?

I like the idea of the Alclad for all the chrome trim but as you said, it's a pain having to work around it while finishing the model. BMF is your best choice here Greg, don't you like it?

I really like the Alclad over Bare-Metal Foil nowadays.

Especially with a gloss coat to spray the Alclad over.

Yes, the taping is a pain, but then again, so is laying down "perfect" Bare-Metal Foil (BMF).

I have seen too many disappointing models with BMF that has been applied over a rough windshield frame or side trim.

WIth the Alclad, that lessens the "look", as it seems that the paint is more forgiving that the BMF over the rough stuff.

Yes, you can sand down the windshield frame to create a perfect smooth surface to lay down BMF, but I still have not seen too many "perfect" BMF windshields or other side trims in my humble opinion.

That is what distracts me most from a model: poor, or rough, window openings.

Marcos, your panel lines features have cleared up the other nagging problem, or pet peeve, that I have had with models, and now, hopefully, with the Alclad over at least the windshields of models, this can help others get that "perfect" finish da Big Kahuna looks for!!!!

I know, what an ego :-)

But you know it's all in fun.

Okay, I pau

While doing a review for the 1/32 scale Revell SnapTite Peterbilt 352 Cabover, I saw a photo of a Gulf transporter from the great days of automotive racing. Then the brain cell clicked (yes, the last one left...).

Why not try and make a slot car Gulf Transporter from this kit?

It was easy, came out okay (except for the booboo on the left front corner, and once I get the flat bed area figured out, it should be pretty neat...

post-3-0-59750300-1352492644_thumb.jpg

(The booboo on the left front corner)

post-3-0-72260600-1352492646_thumb.jpg

(The other side)