Model Cars Magazine Forum

So why do you or we stash kits?

I'm sorry I only got as far as "not allowed" before my eyes went crossed in disbelief. Say WHAT again?

Look I have a wife and three kids, bills, budgets and the whole nine yards, but I also didn't marry my mother, and as an adult no one short of a law enforcement officer can tell me I'm "not allowed" to do or buy something.

I get keep 'em happy to keep 'em quiet, and I'm not going to pretend to be a marriage counselor. But if you managed to figure that relationship out, you're a saint.

How many times have you found yourself thinking "man, I wish I would have bought that kit when it was available! Now it's so expensive, I can't afford it!"

I buy kits as they are released and stash them to avoid that!

yes yes! that's me as well :)

90% of what I build is within a same/similar subject matter . so I tend to have multiples of like kits

Most of my stash is duplicates of one kit or another.. The kits I have only one of , is extremely rare

Edited by gtx6970

I have a bunch of kits stored up to trade for food when the economy fails.

Who knows what a kit will go for with paint in hard times

Not sure if your joking or not (Wouldn't suprise me if you were serious the way things are going!) but, I actually paid all my bills for several months selling kits I had extras of or really didn't care much about while I was out of work last year.

I've been told I have too many kits, been "stashing" them for over 40 years, but I look at it as "adding inventory" and an investment that I enjoy and planned on it being my "job" when I retired, which was last December. While I haven't started selling any of the old kits yet I enjoy being able to emulate a build by others with my own version pulled from my inventory without having to troll e-bay for that certain kit needed for the build. I'm always on the lookout for interesting (to me) kits at reasonable prices, just picked up 17 more Saturday after our club meeting, but that's just me.

I have only been back into it for a couple of weeks and so far I have three kits. One is almost done, I have just started the second while I wait for parts on the first to dry/cure and the third is on deck. I kind of look at kits like I look at my work load at my job. I like to have a back log of work so I know that once I finish one project there is another waiting to be worked on. I also feel like others that if I see a kit that I want to build and have the money to get it, I get it because you never know if you will see it again.

Interesting responses.

I can say, for every one of my now over a couple hundred kits, I`ve had specific plans for every one of them. I can look at my stacks of boxes, and remember exactly what I wanted to do with each one of them. I just don`t have time to finish them. :( I just checked my kitchen cupboards (yes, my wife puts up with alot!!) and I have 15 painted bodies.

Aside from the so called kitbashers and self proclaimed someday I'll build its, it's really OCD. We must have it and we buy it. It is endemic in our genes to do so. I must have one to six of everything I see. It's fun,yes!!!

Edited by raildogg

This right here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-4X4-Pickup-Truck-Lifted-Suspension-Shortbed-Fleetside-AMT-1-25-Model-OPENED-/350759751659?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item51aae90feb

I picked up 5 or 6 of these GMC 4x4 kits when Walmart had them for $7.99 so I'm good until there is another re-issue and prices come back to reality.

I could go through my stash and find example after example of the same thing. It gets even worse when you start dealing with resin kits and the here today, gone tommorrow nature of the resin industry.

I'm also lucky enough to have a spouse with her own hobbies, so she understands.

This right here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-4X4-Pickup-Truck-Lifted-Suspension-Shortbed-Fleetside-AMT-1-25-Model-OPENED-/350759751659?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item51aae90feb

I picked up 5 or 6 of these GMC 4x4 kits when Walmart had them for $7.99 so I'm good until there is another re-issue and prices come back to reality.

I could go through my stash and find example after example of the same thing. It gets even worse when you start dealing with resin kits and the here today, gone tommorrow nature of the resin industry.

I'm also lucky enough to have a spouse with her own hobbies, so she understands.

But Aaron it's VHTF...so much so it says that like 68 times in the description. Apparently he totally missed the fact he's going up against someone who has one listed at $13.84...Best of luck with that one dude! <_<

For me, like many others it is because the production runs are pretty short and kits can become difficult to find or just too expensive. I subscribe to the idea of "if you ever want to build it, grab it now" This is also especially true of resin kits.

Look at the Model king reissues of 2005-2008 (or thereabouts) - the nascar models, and the 70s trucks. These are outliers, but it does go to show you can not count on them being available later.

You never know what might disappear, I wish I had stocked up on gunze sangyo Aqueous hobby colors, they are great paints, but they are no longer sold in the US.

I used to buy 2 of each one I liked, but with Kits getting more expensive, I limit myself to one. I do intend to build them all....

But Aaron it's VHTF...so much so it says that like 68 times in the description. Apparently he totally missed the fact he's going up against someone who has one listed at $13.84...Best of luck with that one dude! <_<

I know that one is high, but watching these kits for awhile I won't be surprised to see that $13.84 kit end up at $40-$50 by the end, I've seen them sell for $75.

I stash kits to build them one day! lol Every kit I buy I make a plan for, but I've got over 700+ kits. I have a spare bedroom as my hobby room. I have shelves going around the room times two, stacked with kits, plus a closet reconfigured to hold kits top to bottom with a built support shelf built halfway. There are a few racks of shelving also. My goal is to build a dozen models this year. So far I've started a few but competed '0'. As a hobby we can collect (I think childhood memories come into play here) and some we can actually finish, but it's exciting just to buy a new kit or find a holy grail. I can go into my hobby room and sit there and just look around and it brings a smile to my face. All stresses leave..it's my happy place! Whether I open kits to for parts-swapping or reminisce about an old glue bomb, it's all fun! Now, I've used the other spare bedroom to store 148 kits. Will I keep buying? Of course I will, if I see something I like! I'm about six re-issues behind already!

ps: I'm thinking of becoming a vampire and do a tv show...then I can build for another thousand years of so and have enough money to buy more kits!

Edited by hotrod4ever