Model Cars Magazine Forum

GSL 2013

Just got on the computer for the first time today and all I can say is wow what a show, Great meeting Bill Davis for the first time and had fun with Art and John, Simon and Mike thanks for sunday we had a great time like normal. Thanks to Mark D Jones for all the help that will be needed for this next project and so many great builders to name!

Congrats to all the winner and Gregg for Backdraft taking it all home!

We will all need to get out to GSL in 2015. That's the 25th anniversary!

For those of you who have never been to GSL, it's like Disney World for modelers. I went out in 2001 for what I thought would be a one time trip. I had so much fun that I've been back every two years, except the last two shows due to personal circumstances. It's one of those places you can go all by yourself, knowing no one, and within a short time you are friends with everyone!

The first trip I met Bob Paeth of the old Revell, who gave me the entire inside story of the release of the '57 Nomad kit, one of my favorites as a kid. Then I went out again in 2003 and just when I thought nothing magic would happen, another one of my childhood heros, Tom Daniel walked in. I never thought I'd be having a beer with him, discussing my favorite old customs. And every trip out there has been fun like that!

It's not a huge event, just a few hundred people, but it's the right people! I've met some amazing folks at GSL. And I've seen some of the world's best models. Don't let that scare you from coming and bringing models. There are also a lot of models built by guys like you and me on display. It's a well rounded event! You owe it to yourself to make the trip at least once. Most folks who do that wind up being regulars.

Tom it would be great to see you back out there again also! I'm still trying to get back to the east as soon as I can figur out a way of putting it between builds and time wise.

Chas, come to NNL East next year! It's an off year for GSL so you need to do a trip in April! Look forward to seeing you too!

Well said, Tom. The first time I went to GSL I didn't even bring a model to show, but after that I've always brought something. Even if you don't have a winning entry, it's a way of getting to know your fellow modellers. When I got a fourth in class at GSL XXI I was surprised and overjoyed, but I don't anticipate that happening again - the standards seem to get higher with every show.

And speaking of boyhood idols, one of the thrills at the last few GSLs for me was meeting and listening to Don Emmons - builder and writer of articles in Rod & Custom Models and the inspiration for much of my model building to this day.

And speaking of boyhood idols, one of the thrills at the last few GSLs for me was meeting and listening to Don Emmons - builder and writer of articles in Rod & Custom Models and the inspiration for much of my model building to this day.

I agree Steve! Don is a great guy and never stops! Years ago he came to NNL East and we had dinner the night before the show. It was fun hearing his stories. The year they debuted his display at the museum, he was out there the entire day as all the tours went through. He got back to the hotel late and I spied him grabbing a late dinner in the hotel bar. I thought he'd be tired and want a little privacy but he waved me over. It was nice to share a quiet little meal with him once again.