Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jolly Roger Merc - back on the bench 8/30/15

Jantrix

Jantrix, the biggest compliment I can pay you is that you are working on a model that is going to get lots of attention because nothing like it has been done before. I'm loving every step of this one. The details are making this build. Not to mention the treasure map paint job. Where is the parrot going to go? :D:wub: :wub: B)

Heck Virgil if I could find a scale parrot you bet I'd work it in there. I'd add a brass bar to the back of the seat. Thank you and everyone else for the kind words, it means a lot.

That's why I love themed builds so much. Because its limited only by your imagination and artistry, it doesn't even have to be "mechanically possible". Just cool.

And by the way. I have another theme build in the planning stages. I can't wait to get rolling on it.

:wub:

Posted Today, 06:40 PM

Heck Virgil if I could find a scale parrot you bet I'd work it in there. I'd add a brass bar to the back of the seat. Thank you and everyone else for the kind words, it means a lot.

That's why I love themed builds so much. Because its limited only by your imagination and artistry, it doesn't even have to be "mechanically possible". Just cool.

And by the way. I have another theme build in the planning stages. I can't wait to get rolling on it.

Rob! What You said Man!!

"That" is what the hobby is all about Man!!

Thank You in so many ways!!

Looking forward to more!

Later

Russ

;)

Rob, I think I've got something else I'll be sending to you that you might want to try to use in this build... You'll see when you get it (them)... so don't seal up the interior yet... But I have to say... with all the work you put and are continuing to put into the interior of this car, it's a shame that it isn't a convertible to really show it off.... although... is the top insert removable...??? (Forgive me if I'm brain dead on this... LOL)

although... is the top insert removable...??? (Forgive me if I'm brain dead on this... LOL)

Yes, the removable top was a must for what I wanted to do to the interior. It seemed silly to super detail the interior on a chopped vehicle and not have a way to view the work.

I look forward to whatever you're sending Rich, with thanks.

Carlos thanks for asking but no, I have no plans for anything like that, no sails (although the roof insert was designed to resemble sailcloth), cannons or other over-the-top additions. The idea with this was just to have a theme and to build something that could in fact exist (and drive) in 1:1 if someone with some imagination and no taste ( :P) were to build it. Nothing too cartoony.

Okay next up will be masking off and painting the window trim (on the glass inserts) gold. Get Bones painted up and into the back seat, and start some detail painting on the treasure map. Design the compass rose for the hood.

More soon.

Rob - hadn't seen this build (got lost in the myriad of '49 Mercs, I guess). I really like the interior! The gold piping and red cloth are great ideas and look great. The removable top too - excellent idea. I like the idea of a theme build that is also road worthy - something some off-the-wall person really would make and drive around town.

How did you do the graphics - in particular, the skull and cross bones? Stencil or masked off?

The skull was a pic that I resized and transfered to blue tape. I then cut the stencil on a piece of glass. Transferred the stencil to the trunk and hit it with a few light coats of white primer.

Ill be doing the compass rose in a similar fashion.

The map was masked with torn tape edges to get that rough effect.

Well here's the Captains former first mate. Looks like he should have kept his hands off the Captains rum eh? He'll be in the back seat with the rum barrel. I'll be dechroming and drilling out the mug. I want it to resemble an old pewter mug.

2012-11-13183731.jpg

2012-11-13183752.jpg

More soon.

Edited by Jantrix