Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

Okay, I have a couple questions:

1. Is this to be based on the serious "real life" races or more geared towards the whimsical "movieland" races or is it a duke's mixture of the two?

2. If it gears toward movie or dike's mix, are movie/tv cars allowed since they have been used in the films? (Bond Aston, Petty Grand Prix etc.)

...and one comment, if I may. :D Since we ARE the most degenerate group of SCOFFLAWS on the road...I suggest a slight "tweak" of the rules. I recall in the first Pirates film, the exchange between Will Turner and Captain Jack as something like (W.T.) "I would have killed you in a fair fight!" (C.J.S.) "That's hardly an incentive for me to fight fair now is it?"

My bet is that most, if not all the cars in the real race cheated in some way or were illegal in some way just like thier movie counterparts, and let's face it running from the law is the order of the day from the getgo. All forms of things leap to mind in these scenarios from photo-fool license plates to illegal NOS setups and more. Remember, it's only illegal if you get caught! ;)

Here are the ideas i'm tossing around inside my frighteningly spacious cranium.

1982 Pontiac Grand Prix, and a 1932 Ford running two Slant 6 Engines side by side. :D

Jacen it is a mix mash of the two, the Movie is actually a fairly close representation of the real races, as Hal Needham wrote the movie and participated in the real races as well with his Dodge Sportsman Ambulance.

As far as the running from the Police end of it, in the first ever real Cannonball Run memorial trophy dash in 1972 Brock Yates the developer of the real races mentions this in a story about his car and what happened in the races:

"Work by super builder-designer Ron Nash—suspension and brake modifications, a Holley 800-cfm carb, Crager headers, Goodrich T/A radials, transmission oil cooler and other trick parts plus prototype Cibie driving lights and an experimental Autotronics Super Snooper radar unit with a maximum range of five miles—made the car a quiet, sure-fire, 130-mph winner.

That was effectively nullified by a hectic departure (a fantastic collection of food was left at curbside, meaning a Coast-to Coast diet of M&Ms and Cokes) and a half-hour hideout behind a gas station after a trucker was heard broadcasting a description of the car to the Smokeys. Running behind schedule, route improvisations were made that lost even more time."

Nick

I've added yo uto the list 64SS350

Edit: went back and read again in the last race Brock Yates teamed up with Hal Needham

Edited by Nick Winter

My bet is that most, if not all the cars in the real race cheated in some way or were illegal in some way just like thier movie counterparts, and let's face it running from the law is the order of the day from the getgo. All forms of things leap to mind in these scenarios from photo-fool license plates to illegal NOS setups and more. Remember, it's only illegal if you get caught! ;)

Here are the ideas i'm tossing around inside my frighteningly spacious cranium.

1982 Pontiac Grand Prix, and a 1932 Ford running two Slant 6 Engines side by side. :D

and that is exactly why my entry will look like a cop car...i might even put on some "highway patrol" decals on it for good measure

as for the slant six'ums...that would ROCK

could you turn one around so that its situated as a V12?

As most car guys know, the Miami Vice Daytone Spyder was build using a Corvette C3 chassis. So when my intrepid mechanics Krass and Bernie spotted one in an old L.A. scrap yard, I had them pick it up. The engine was gone, as were those fine wire wheels, but I think it will make a fine racer.

Since it isn't a real Ferrari I don't think choice of engine will offend anyone, so I'm thinking a 6.1 liter hemi.

2012-12-24210135.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Okay here goes:

The Model:

Bought this (and a couple others) AMT New Tool '57 Chevy Street Machine from a local modellers Collection after he passed away, he had painted it (I love the blue he used)and removed the big block (bummer).

The Story:

Ontario, Now, the Deadline for the Cannonball is just under a year away, we need a car to race, after a search of the local ads we find a Blue '57 Bel Air that has an old restoration starting to show it's age, the price is right and after some haggling we bring it to the shop, the trip is over 2800 Miles, plus we need to drive to New York (another 516 miles). We will need a comfortable ride, that handles well, and can go the distance constantly pushing high speeds without any issues, threw varying temperatures and weather, it will need to have a large capacity Fuel tank, it will need to keep the driver and navigator/co-driver safe in the event of an accident and it will need to be semi-inconspicuous. We'll have to see what we can't come up with.

GEDC4007.jpg

GEDC4022.jpg

GEDC4023.jpg

Nick

Can there be any late entries? I've got to finish up a 250 GTO, and then I'm starting a 1966 Yenko Stinger.

you mean you actually FINISH one model before you start another? :blink:

i should try this aproach...but not any time soon

i actually went to town on my entry

the way my mercury marauder has been going i really wanted to burn rubber on this baby before it hit the wall

so far i got the engine mostly painted and assembled

(ditching the W30 intake and going with 3 2 barrels instead)

and i swapped out the rims for some magnum 500s

i actually found 2 sets that i could combine to make a nicely matched set of deep and shallows

perfect for keeping the low budget police look going

i also prepped the body (which was exceptionally clean) and shot the white paint

once that cures ill tape it off and paint the front fenders, roof and rear qaurters black

i wonder if i should put a light bar on top?

Model:

gave it a polish this morning after the festivities had wrapped up.

Story:

After stripping the Chevy down the boys were curious to see if they could save that Dark Blue finish from years past. Turns out our Chevy won't need a paint job. We have yet to name our race team but rest assured once we get a little further into the build of our Chevy we will find a characteristic to choose the name from.

GEDC4027.jpg

GEDC4026.jpg

GEDC4033.jpg

Nick

PS looks like I'll be starting 2012 with a pair of '57 Chevy's on the bench.

GEDC4028.jpg

It's not that I'm so enamored with Corvettes, I never thought I'd build one. But when I found a Jungle Jim '70 Camaro funny car (body only) in my junk box, I was struck by how similar the proportions are to an '89 Corvette, except for length of course. This year's entry and car title is "Cormaro."

EntryIntro.jpg

Back2BackComparo.jpg

SidexSideRear.jpg

SidexSideTop.jpg

Thanks to Jungle Jim Lieberman, the top chop and body section is done, I just need to reel in the length and cut open the hood and a hundred other fiddly things to test my patience. So much for trying to keep it simple this year.

Wheelbase-Comparo.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

I haven't posted on this forum yet but this sounds interesting. I just got back into building cars after about an 8 year hiatus. Anyways, I have a few questions. Is there a limit as to how many people can enter? Also, can we sign up to enter now, even if we don't quite know what we're going to build yet? Thanks in advance for the answers.

"Of course you know certain skeptics note that perhaps 10,000 of the nation's most elite highway patrolmen are out there waiting for us after we start, but let's stay positively: Think of the fact that there's not one state in the 50 that has the death penalty for speeding... although I'm not so sure about Ohio."

post-1780-0-73330600-1356488317_thumb.jp

Michael

p.s. Nick Love the back story on the 57 along with Rob's on the Daytona

Edited by hvymtl

Hahaha!! I was thinking the same thing as I was reading Lunajammers post.

Nuttin but a buncha stinkin cheats in these parts!!!

Ha! It's Photoshopped. You can see the photo's cut line behind the wheel where I slid the crop over. I was showing the plan. There's no chassis, it's resting on two untrimmed tires and a prop. So take that you you doody headed ninny wags. :)

Which brings up another point, is this forum too hot for smack talk? That can be fun too with the right crowd.