Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette Pace Car

Scottnkat

Well, I am calling the Corvette done. This started off as an incomplete kit. Another person provided a donor car so that I could complete this build. The parts from the donor include the fan belt, water pump, upper radiator hose, and front tie rod. The rear stop light was made from a sanded down piece of clear red sprue. I modified the kit distributor so I could wire the engine by drilling holes for the wires. The carpeting is flocked as well and I made decals for the dash gauges (including the idiot lights). The body decals are old Fred Cady ones I bought last year. Other than that, this was box-stock.

The body gave me fits during the build process. The body and the hood were warped (and still are just a little bit). After painting, I had to strip the paint and start over as the primer wasn't sticking to the body well (guess I hadn't cleaned it up well enough). After it was re-painted, I had another issue when masking off the yellow to paint the black. After I was done, the tape pulled off paint. So I had to re-do the body a third time.

Anyway, here it is - hope you like it

DSCN2477a_zps4d6f34e5.jpg

DSCN2468a_zpsa7af79c3.jpg

DSCN2476a_zps2fb32018.jpg

DSCN2470a_zps3e9c6d5c.jpg

Edited by Scottnkat

Thanks, guys

For the dash, I sprayed the whole thing in satin black. When that was dry, I painted the radio, heater controls and other inserts in gloss black. The whole thing then got a light acrylic wash of black with a little blue. I found some images of the dash online and downloaded those. I cleaned them up and cropped the three displays as well as the insert with the engine lights into individual images. I used a micrometer to take measurements and adjusted the images. I then printed them off on white decal paper. I added the decals last and used MicroSol to make sure they snuggled down against the molded-in detail.

Edited by Scottnkat

That sounds like the AMT kit. I've found that the poor fitting hood seems common to all their C4 kits. One tip if you build another C4, use thin strips of black decal with a healthy amount of decal setting solution to do the black rub strips. It saves a lot of work in having to mask, there's no risk of paint creep and no chance of pulling up the paint.

Despite the challenges you had your build turned out well. It's nice to see Vette kits being built in particular the Pace Cars.