Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ariel Atom 3D print

NormL

I know some people who have been using extrusion printers for small scale metal casting. I believe they've been using PLA without any issues while burning out their investments. It's one of the steps that makes me more confident with 3D printing as a whole, as it allows an actual, full strength final product. I love the key fobs, and I'm certain every other Atom owner would love them, too!

Things are about to get really interesting ... Shapeways is reviewing FULL color plastic printing. Yes, drape a jpg on your model and print it with finer colors than you can paint, er ... well most of you. Will there be draw backs, sure, but the concept is totally awesome. Can't wait to play with this! They have had full color sand stone, but, it is brittle and the design rules don't give you room for detail, but, this stuff has the same design rules as the plastic I usually use of theirs, WSF

I will be able to drape my little HO Atom's for full color and make the 1/24th snap together full painted with moving steering, suspension and rolling. Making the seats slide is still a little much, but, it is still on the list

Current draw backs that I am aware of, rough texture, no true black and no shinyness

I know some people who have been using extrusion printers for small scale metal casting. I believe they've been using PLA without any issues while burning out their investments. It's one of the steps that makes me more confident with 3D printing as a whole, as it allows an actual, full strength final product. I love the key fobs, and I'm certain every other Atom owner would love them, too!

Yes, the printing straight to mold is a concept we have been waiting for. You still have to do some post printing work especially for composite casting though

wow this is amazing. id love to be able to make a 3d model and have it printed in just snaptite quality with basic frame body, wheels and windows. Id do this first

ford_f150_lariat_crewcab_2015_3d_model_3

and then my first car although i have had 2 10th gen f150s since the riviera

387428_319123018117634_1237191583_n.jpg?

sorry for jacking the topic lol. just had to point out the first two topics i would do if i had your skill and resources.

looks great , potential is awsome .. its cool ... tc etc .. i just still dont get a warm feeling from printed stuff .....

like when i see the floor jack .. its awsome .. i'm building a garage atm and sure it would look zwsome in there .. but on the other hand my plessure comes from taking a box of stuff and build something out of ....what i can use ..

still find the printing very interesting .. if i would have to make a choice .. i would stick to the old ways ....

its the same as i could buy stuff online manufactured .. and i dont ....

but again will be watching this i do love to see it

Edited by crazyrichard

I believe the "lost wax" process is when they encase the wax piece in plaster or something similar. When the plaster sets it is heated and the wax melts out. Then the molten metal of your choice is poured in. After that cools the plaster can be easily broken and washed away leaving a metal replica of the wax piece.

These are some cool projects and it makes me excited about what will be possible in the near future!

• 4 years later...

Well I see that it has been 4.5 years since I posted, LOL.  I bought some 3D printers and have learned the hard way what can go wrong.  I bought an AON M to print full scale fenders and fairings and have learned that big prints are very much harder than little ones.  It is FDM and has an 18" x 18" x 25" print area along with two other FDM's for smaller work.  I see that the Form 3 has finally been released and I need one of them as well.  When I got the large printer, all effort went into learning and then making large objects, so, the Atom model was sidelined.  When I get an SLA (the Form 3) I will circle back to the Atom model.  Until then, here is a 1/256th scale Ariel Atom printed using sintered stainless steel

rndu1szruwlrs8bjck0w.jpg

b3j0k5wufpxtoje71o8t.jpg

I also made some Minions

j0letz7en3pobbc81iye.jpg

I had to make a filament lifting machine to get the big rolls of filament (10kg) to work

6yivshy56lmwsrt6uw68.jpg