Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Other Project- '69 Fury Convertible

Somehow this one eats a lot more of my finances and time than the little ones, doesn't fit on my bench worth a anything either :P.

A friend and fellow forum member thought there might be other who would enjoy seeing what I've been up to for nearly the last year of my life (bought him August 13th of last year.) Anyway little while longer and I'll be ready for paint.

So what is it, it's a 1969 Plymouth Fury III Convertible, I bought it and the parts car (same make, model, year, trim, engine, drivetrain etc.) for $400 cash two blocks from my house (and ended up with a really great friend out of the deal)

Both cars are (were) equipped with 318 2 barrel LA small blocks backed by "Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission" (D32 Option 727 3spd's) and both had 8 3/4 Open 2.76 Geared Differentials. They both also had the Same Optional All Vinyl Interiors in White.

So, thats the general who-ha, now to the story bit;

I wanted a project, something to tinker with, I scowered the local Craigslist and Kijiji and went and looked at about 10 cars, all of which didn't attract me, were over priced, or too far gone. Then a friend called me at work one day "Hey I was looking at the ads for free stuff on Kijiji and a guy has 2 Plymouth Convertible that he wants scrap value for, he's in Whitby" I called him and we headed over after I got home from Work, I liked what I saw and the aforementioned $400 deal was struck, 2 days later I had both cars at my Uncles house (his backyard looks like my block in size). Thats enough Story.

These are the photo's seen in the Ad:

T2eC16hHJHIE9nysfptKBQGHSilsmw48_20.jpg

T2eC16NHJGE9nm3ouBQGHiLPTkg48_20.jpg

And what I actually saw and what they looked like at my Uncles place, we threw a battery in the parts car and the top worked perfectly, then we threw the battery in the white car and some fuel in it, and it started right up.

GEDC2666.jpg

GEDC2660.jpg

And after I started parting down the Parts car, I know what your thinking "thats the better car Dummy" as I got further into it and spoke to the previous owner in depth, it was a Used car dealer Quicky Full of Bondo, bad patches, and all kinds of bad.

GEDC3076.jpg

The Frame was gone on the front Stub (correct term for the front frame section) the rear frame rails were worse

GEDC3093.jpg

This engine was pooched I later found out (the previous owner told me it used to knock until it warmed up) I found the oil was thinker than tar, the oil pickup tube was actually clogged with extremely thick oil :blink:

GEDC3096.jpg

GEDC3097.jpg

Better look at my good car

GEDC3515.jpg

GEDC3255.jpg

So glad I kept it after I found out what I did B)

Nick

So the saga continues.

My co-worker (and my teacher most days since I finished school) and I rebuilt my 727 from the parts car, just stockish, little bit of a firmer shift.

GEDC3674_zpsd797e5e4.jpg

Started digging into my project too. Not too bad for a 45 year old Canadian built, And Canadian owned car that never saw any undercoating or a garage (extremely evident as i got deeper into it)

GEDC3767.jpg

GEDC3768.jpg

After a sandblast

GEDC3772.jpg

The trunk on the other hand..................

GEDC3804.jpg

GEDC3827.jpg

So I bought this and a welder
GEDC3813.jpg

No turning back now!
GEDC4103.jpg

knowing people is a good thing, a friend has a bead roller

GEDC4539_zpsfb57f98a.jpg
GEDC4542_zpsdc7a58d4.jpg

Started using some of my parts car

GEDC4560_zps55846bf8.jpg

uhhhh, okay I hope I know what I'm doing
GEDC4633_zpsbad5179e.jpg

Before & After
GEDC4602_zps86cdec35.jpg
GEDC4612_zps763b41af.jpg

Bare is better, no filler to hide things, no surprises, once again, pretty good for a 44 year old Canadian car.
GEDC5003_zps957a796c.jpg

Few holes.

GEDC4426_zps138a93e5.jpg

GEDC4430_zps0fe03439.jpg

GEDC5161_zps27199b01.jpg

Engine out

GEDC5299_zps29373993.jpg

First trip to the body shop
GEDC5305_zps8584f639.jpg

And after new gaskets, a good inspection, a good cleaning of a few important bits ;) and some paint

GEDC5410_zps9f7f7b96.jpg

Firewall in the Factory F8 Ivy Green Poly.

GEDC5432_zps02b364f1.jpg

Engine & rebuilt trans back at home and my new C body roadwheels mounted balanced, repainted and polished.
GEDC5694_zps300c9ee6.jpg

More stuff back at home
GEDC5925_zps6c98a6d9.jpg

Parts car where it sat for 6 years
388175_135092429982952_1637008715_n_zpsf

Floors Done in the interior
GEDC5812_zps0b3fcfd0.jpg

GEDC5813_zps057c9645.jpg

and where I'm at currently with the trunk, just finishing up.
GEDC5935_zpsd9e68f98.jpg

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate all the comments guys, it's my toy, a friend of mine bought me a fender cover "Money Pit" She thought I'd see the humor in the gift, she was right.

You'd be amazed at what the car HASN'T cost me ;)

Great save Nick. Issues, yes. But a shame it would have gone to the crusher otherwise.

It was crusher bound and I couldn't let that happen, when I get my mind set on something, nothing stops me, (one of the good/bad points of my personality).

You got my attention. Dude, to see someone working outdoors under a tent in the snow is truly inspirational. And that car...... wow. Great job so far!

It was cold to say the least :lol: my clock actually froze solid and wouldn't tick :huh:

I like it, it's me with 4 wheels basically, that attracted me to it and has held my attention.

Anyway getting closer to being finished my end of the bodywork and started dressing the engine a bit.

GEDC6021_zps23d256c2.jpg

GEDC6014_zps49cd4a74.jpg

GEDC6015_zpsffd8bbf5.jpg

And, as of the 13th, the Fury (or as I call him, Angel) have been together 1 year, and he's changed just a bit

Last year, August 13th 2012 (photo October 2012, I didn't do anything but swap the jeep rims on him for the factory steels until November)

GEDC3515.jpg

This year, August 13th 2013

GEDC6017_zpsdae5d38f.jpg

As always I will update later on.

Edited by Nick Winter

I know all too well the definition of "Money Pit". And don't think once it's together your done..... oh no. I just dropped $40 last night on a new fan clutch for mine. And two weeks ago it's was $150 for a Halon fire extinguisher.... and before that $130 on embroidered floor mats.... and let's not forget about fragging the differential yoke pulling a $350 hole shot that also twisted the driveshaft.

And people complain about the cost of building models!!!!

I know all too well the definition of "Money Pit". And don't think once it's together your done..... oh no. I just dropped $40 last night on a new fan clutch for mine. And two weeks ago it's was $150 for a Halon fire extinguisher.... and before that $130 on embroidered floor mats.... and let's not forget about fragging the differential yoke pulling a $350 hole shot that also twisted the driveshaft.

And people complain about the cost of building models!!!!

But just think of all the frustration and hours of dirty hands just for someone to call it (in my case) a nice Galaxie.

;)

Some get it, some don't, I have someone who used to be a friend, he doesn't get it, all my friends with Mopars seem to get exactly what "It" is.

But just think of all the frustration and hours of dirty hands just for someone to call it (in my case) a nice Galaxie.

;)

Some get it, some don't, I have someone who used to be a friend, he doesn't get it, all my friends with Mopars seem to get exactly what "It" is.

But just think of all the frustration and hours of dirty hands just for someone to call it (in my case) a nice Galaxie. ;)

I have a friend who had a `71 Duster and un-informed people would call it a Nova. Drove him nuts.....

scamp_2-vi.jpg

This was my '73 Plymouth Valiant Scamp. Nicely done and I liked it. I too got tired of people at car shows taking me aside to tell me I was wasting my time and money when I could have had a nice Mustang or Camaro instead.

• 1 month later...

I tinker away.........Body is my next job after I finish building it a New Engine.

Managed to get a picture of both my Rides together, I have a thing for Green/Teal vehicles, even my friends Vette I borrow from time to time is Green...

GEDC0943_zps54946471.jpg

Finished up the trunk for the most part, still need to add my body plugs, even test fitted my Polyglas Power Cushion spare tire. lots of room for model kits ;)

GEDC1001_zpse1d80f76.jpg

GEDC1000_zps8c986458.jpg

GEDC0999_zps0581024e.jpg

GEDC1047_zps75535dc5.jpg

Nick

• 3 months later...