Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Street Rod

mrmike

I decided to challenge myself today with a special project...building a '40 Ford Coupe Street Rod. The kit is Lindberg's '40 Ford Coupe that I have been told to be almost unbuildable. My goal was to get see just how far I can get building this kit today without getting into too much detail. Here is what I am starting with...
40Ford01.jpg
There is a lot of flash on this kit. I spent an hour removing flash and mold lines.
40Ford02.jpg
My paint is Testor's Guards Red. I had trouble with this paint not spraying correctly. I had set it back to Testors for testing and they said there was nothing wrong with it, even thought there is paint all over the top of the can. They sent the can back with another nozzle and now it sprays OK. Hmmm...
40Ford04.jpg
Well, it did spray OK, not 100% happy with how it sprayed though.
40Ford03.jpg
40Ford05.jpg
The wheels are being assembled. Steelies and hub caps.
40Ford06.jpg
More to come...

Thanks for the invite, Rob. I'll consider it.

Well, I have been plugging away at this off and on during the day and this is as far as I have gotten. I've gotten the interior assembled.
40Ford07.jpg
The chassis has been assembled.
40Ford08.jpg
The engine has been assembled and installed into the chassis.
40Ford09.jpg
This is as far as I am going tonight. So far, it's not too bad, but this is still a crummy kit. I did a mockup and the wheels are not centered in the fenders and the instructions are vague in some areas. Plus, the paint is still not cured since it is enamel and not lacquer. I used enamel since I thought that if I had used lacquer, the hot paint would have eaten the translucent plastic.
More to come...

Oh I didn't remember I have this on the stash, too. This is really a NightMare kit, I've started it but got stalled just because of the kit quality.... Maybe this project makes me to go back building it again, and maybe doing another entry to Nightmare Kits CBP (Two entries were allowed?).

Looking very good so far, I like the engine, but especially the wheels look nice. Fantastic color!

I know this kit is junk, but it is a challenge for me and I do need to challenge myself from time to time.
I didn't like the stance and my first thought was to just glue the wheels on and be done with it. Well, the modeler in me said to do it right and I started grinding away at the rear spring and the spring mount on the chassis with my Dremel and a sanding drum.
40Ford10.jpg
40Ford11.jpg
Now, that's more to my liking!
40Ford12.jpg
I am going to try and finish this '40 Ford today!
More to come...