Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Willy's

59 Impala

Here is one that I got way back in the early 80's from a guy that I worked with. He was throwing it away along with some others I said that I would take them. The rest is history. :) Anyway this turned out to be a real mess. First, the trunk was missing and it set in the box for over 20 years. I got one from a box of parts that a guy brought into the hobby store. Next, when I removed the paint, which was brushed on real thick, it was scraped with a knife over the whole body. I guess that's why the paint was real thick. The front end (axle and stuff) is broken into many little pieces. But all this didn't discourage me from trying to restore it somewhat. I can't restore it to completely stock so I'm doing the next best thing I hope. Well enough gabbing and here are some pics from the beggining to where I'm at now. Hope ya enjoy.

Where the red is that's the filler I used to fix the scrapes from the knife he used.

willys1.jpg

The trunk is from a different kit. That's why it is red.

willys3.jpg

All the parts

willys4.jpg

More pics to come. Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

Thanks guys. A lot of tender loving care in this one. :o unforginin, I'm not going to make a gasser out of her. Instead, she is powered by a 4 banger from a Jeep with two carbs. Lots of power or loss of power I guess. :P;):lol: She will be a lowbuck hot rod from back in the day :( Dan

I'm using the droped axle from the 40 Ford car kit and had to make the support for it. I drilled lightining holes in the axle.

willys31.jpg

willys34.jpg

I also adjusted the wheel base

willys25.jpg

I also had to make a firewall using one from the 40 Ford truck kit and scratch building part of it.

willys26.jpg

willys27.jpg

willys29.jpg

Well, this is where I'm at at the moment. Hope ya like Dan

• 3 months later...

OK, it's been a long time since I've posted anything on this build and here are some pics of what she looks like now.

willys39.jpg

willys40.jpg

willys41.jpg

I thought that I was getting close to being finished but I noticed that she needed inner fenders and I found some in the parts box. They are from the 41 Plymouth kit and I had to fit them a little.

willys42.jpg

willys43.jpg

I think she looks alot better with the inner fenders.

willys44.jpg

I'm trying to get-er-done. Stay tuned ;) Dan

This is the stuff I really like to see, and it's not just a gluebomb resto. You are making a unique one of a kind Willys that doesn't look like what everyone else is building. Before they were making gassers out of these cars they were customized just like the 40 Fords back in the 40's and 50's. You are doing a great job and really interesting fotos and commentary!

Thanks for the kind comments guys. This is turning out to be a work of love ;) for me. When I think I'm almost finished something else pops up. Well, I think the pop ups are about finished now so I can get-er-done. :D

I wanted to do something different than the typical builds you see of the Willy's as gassers or customs, but not going completely stock and this is what came about. It has been frustrating at times but mostly a lot of fun coming up with something different. If it wasn't for some help from Bryan at BnB Auto Builders, this wouldn't have happened. He sent me parts that were needed to complete this build.

More pics to come so stay tuned. ;) Dan

Well, I am kinda bummed at the moment. I had to do a little work on the hood and when I primed it and went to put it down, it fell on the floor upside down. So, now I have to sand it down and reprime it again. Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes :P:P:o Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

Here are some more pics after a little work done today. I had to fabricate a gas tank for this cause there isn't one on the car. I also installed a gas filler tube on the right rear fender from a 53 Ford truck. Hope ya like.

willys49.jpg

willys50.jpg

I just had to install the Grayhound on the hood. Why, you may ask? I don't know. ;)

willys51.jpg

Thanks fer lookin. Dan

Thanks CB. I have done a little more work on this. I'm almost done. Here are a couple of pics of what she looks like so far.

willys53.jpg

willys52.jpg

I have to let it dry for the exhaust. This thing sure is fragile though. Some of the parts keep coming off maybe because of the rebuild and the parts are thinner or maybe just my fumbly fingers ;) I should be finished pretty soon. :) Dan

Well, she's finished as far as I know. I do have a little touch up here and there, but for all purposes, she's finished. I had a lot of fun rebuilding this even with all the set backs. Here are some pics of the finished look. Hope ya like.

willys59.jpg

willys60.jpg

willys61.jpg

willys62.jpg

willys63.jpg

I can't make up my mind on wheather to use the body side moldings or not. What do you guys think?

Thanks fer lookin. Dan