Model Cars Magazine Forum

My take on the Monroe Handler

Jason Vandergriff

Been messing with this project for a while now. Ive had a few different frames built for it but not happy with any of them. I decided to get this one back out and see what we could do. Wheels came from a porsche kit that i had gt1 racer i believe. Motovation will be a 4.6 mod motor from the 99 stang from revell. Might steal the chassis from it as well or build my own. Mock up pics to tease you guys with.

SANY0875.jpg

SANY0873.jpg

Edited by Jason Vandergriff

I just can't help but wonder how many people reading this actually recall the Monroe Handler? Neat to see this as a kit project. This should be a fun build.

Wasn't there even an ad that had Reggie Jackson in it showing the car in the background? This goes along nicely with the other current post utilizing a road-race inspired Monza as they are very similarly styled kits.

Wow....let the flashbacks begin! Bring on the Levi's Denimachine next..haha

I just can't help but wonder how many people reading this actually recall the Monroe Handler? Neat to see this as a kit project. This should be a fun build.

Wasn't there even an ad that had Reggie Jackson in it showing the car in the background? This goes along nicely with the other current post utilizing a road-race inspired Monza as they are very similarly styled kits.

Wow....let the flashbacks begin! Bring on the Levi's Denimachine next..haha

Don't forget the Pontiac Skyhawk(?) that also shared the same 1"X2" box frame, 4 piece engine and two piece tires...

Always wanted to take one of these bodies and sit it over a correct Mustang II chassis. I do like the wheels you chose.

I remember seeing the real car at one of the old Car-Craft Street Machine Nationals back in the late seventies.

It was a slick car at the time. Never did pick up one of the kits of it though.

Keep up the good work, it should look great.

The Pro Touring style is bringing back some of the older cars with some cool looks.

Man, not only do I remember this kit, but I have the perfect tow vehicle for it. Remember the Monroe Ranger? It is nice to see one of these being built.

Mike

Id like to see pics of it. I would build the matching tow vehicle if I had it. Im planning a all metallic paint for this one. Found some more goodies for this one last night while digging stuff out for my self want to do a 24 hour build while sleeping and working. Total time to build 8 hours. As for this one I keep finding reference material in the catalog rack from work. Seats will be modded to look like the one out of the porsche donor kit. Cage will be a mix of scratchbuilt and kit parts. Dash will be flat stock. Ill get back to work on it after i finish the 37 ford race car on the bench.

Did some frame work tonight. Took an amt cup kit and did dome chopping on the rear clip. Ill build the rear tubs and crash panels back in 020 flat stock. Also found the parts bag i had set aside for this project and have the wheels from a shelby series 1 kit. Not sure which ones ill use at the moment. Looking into a set of mcg slotted rotors with my own 4 piston calipers. I want to open the door but I think with t-tops it isnt required. Grilles will get cut and replace with a honey comb mesh. heres a few pics.SANY0896.jpg

SANY0895.jpg

SANY0903.jpg

SANY0901.jpg

Sorry for the delay. I had to dig it up and get a pick. After putting them together, it looks like the Courier may be a little small. Especially with the Mustang being from Revell and the Courier from AMT, though it is a small truck. Here is a pic of them together with the box end behind them.

monroe.jpg

Mike

Edited by mikelo

Hey Jason, looking great so far! This is one of my most favorite kits and I'm currently building one just like the box art. I have made many modifications though to include a correct front and rear suspension, a resin 351 Cleveland and real aluminum, machined Centerlines with machined aluminum lug nuts from RB Motion. The wheels and lug nuts were all made to my specs from drawings I produced.

For anyone interested, you can see the pics at www.public.fotki.com/lotso

• 2 years later...

Big update. Got all the interior mocked up and most of the wheel tubs done. I still need to figure out rear suspension. I opened the taillights up on the body and ill uses The ones out of the firefighter kit. It now has a 05 mustang motor to go between the rails.post-3656-0-63139500-1358186182_thumb.jp

Hey Jason, looking great so far! This is one of my most favorite kits and I'm currently building one just like the box art. I have made many modifications though to include a correct front and rear suspension, a resin 351 Cleveland and real aluminum, machined Centerlines with machined aluminum lug nuts from RB Motion. The wheels and lug nuts were all made to my specs from drawings I produced.

For anyone interested, you can see the pics at www.public.fotki.com/lotso

Hi Ben! Nice to see you in a car thread, especially with the improvements (needed) you're making to this kit. My friends who build mostly semi trucks hold you in high regard.

I'd like to know a little more about those Centerline wheels you had made to spec. I assume they can also be made in a 5-lug configuration with different offsets. Can you give us a ballpark figure what a complete set of wheels might cost?