Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

Well, 11 blobs moulded into the top of the cylinder heads.

The stock 340 Duster has the same.

Both engines are identical except that the Street Machine version has a twin throttle body EFI inlet manifold that some claim has 10 runners (I contend that it has 8 & some dubiously moulded lumps).

As both engines use the same exhaust manifolds which are obviously meant to cater for 8 exhaust ports (with siamesed centre ports) then I think we can be pretty sure it's not a viper engine in the SM kit.

Stock engine

2-vi.jpg

Street Machine Engine

ProStreetDuster02-vi.jpg

A blueprinted EFI 340 v8 is probably the perfect engine for this race (but lose the cast extractors & mufflers). Plenty of go but also not too bad on fuel (compared to say, a Hemi or BBC).

For the first run I used a Duster chassis under the Dustball 500 and used this engine with the EFI (with ram air) but with Hemi heads to make a phantom short stroke rev monster.

Havent done much lately on my 06 camaro. Only thing im tackling atm is the suspension. The detail, or rather lack of detail, on the Jada set is poor... So I have taken upon myself to build my first working suspension. Will be good for those back-country roads as well to be able to lift the car a bit.

post-10605-0-36386700-1360048406_thumb.j

The body of this shocks are threaded, so these are fully adjustable. And static is way better than air... B)

Here's my entry, started out building the interior tub, roll cage and dash started building on the Rolex 24 weekend and will be influenced by the cars in that race, I'm modeling my chassis off a Riley Daytona Prototype so in essence it will be a Riley Ford Ranger Daytona Prototype

Here's the tub

D9679B77-BC72-499C-ACE0-A854F4B4BA1D-188

The roll cage

E0F5FBAE-21B9-478C-A626-35665E9979F6-188

The tub, cage and the start of the dash

8EFFB21E-8A04-4F0C-9EA1-F7274AEE55BD-188

CBF9E61F-BDD7-4DC4-9DBC-12729BB390FB-188

And the dash

34667D89-BE23-464D-AF23-F29B45333050-188

We're curious. This is a trans continent race, but you are going to judge entries on how pretty they are, rather than the possibility of whether they could win such a race? Is this correct? Some of these cars would have trouble running 50 miles, forget 3,000.

We're curious. This is a trans continent race, but you are going to judge entries on how pretty they are, rather than the possibility of whether they could win such a race? Is this correct? Some of these cars would have trouble running 50 miles, forget 3,000.

Everybody on the forum can vote, and, yes, it has a lot to do with how it looks. Since we can't actually race the cars, and judging solely on which ones would make the trip would eliminate some well built models, we (including you!) vote on the model we like best. I tend to build in the spirit of the Cannonball - some just build whatever they fancy.

Incorrect, There will be a few specially selected, nonbias judges who have the final vote on the entries, In my eyes I look for viability and base my judging on that.

Ok, I'm finally ready to make my official entry. I will be building the new Revell Viper ACR, here is the box and the contents. Not sure about the paint yet or anything, but I'm sure I can come up with something interesting, maybe a black and green theme? Hopefully everything goes well! :D

IMG_0387_zpsf9d8aac3.jpg

IMG_0388_zpsdae81d7f.jpg

Started the rear suspension this weekend. The stock items didnt do anything for the car, so I figured I needed to make something. And this is what I ended up with. And as the front it is going to be fully adjustable, both ridehight and struts

post-10605-0-33790000-1360568385_thumb.j

post-10605-0-51894700-1360568382_thumb.j

and with the tires

post-10605-0-66554400-1360568388_thumb.j

The hardes part was to make 4 identical parts...

Will start painting all these little parts also soon, really looking forward to that.

We don't know what criteria the voters use to select the winner. Personally I try to build in speed, handling, range, comfort, spares, roadability AND looks (although my idea of looks usually doesn't agree with everyone).

In reality of course we'd all just be driving porsches, veyrons, lambos or other top end supercars.

Why don't you join in? Build us what you'd use on the run. You got 9 1/2 months so you can't claim lack of time.

Who knows, maybe it'll be pretty enough to win.

But let me ask you this. Do you really think these won because of their looks?

None of them are beauty queens in my book.

Dustball50029-11-0802.jpg

Vannette21.jpg

DSC01648.jpg

Edited by zenrat

I'm confused. Where did this concept of "unbiased judges" come from?

AFAIAW the Cannonball Run Community build ends in a vote either by the competitors or preferably by anyone registered with the forum hosting the run. I wouldn't enter it otherwise - I don't enter judged contests only peer voted ones.

I know this forum only allows 5 choices per poll question but that can be worked around by making one of those choices "none of the above".

I'm confused. Where did this concept of "unbiased judges" come from?

AFAIAW the Cannonball Run Community build ends in a vote either by the competitors or preferably by anyone registered with the forum hosting the run. I wouldn't enter it otherwise - I don't enter judged contests only peer voted ones.

I know this forum only allows 5 choices per poll question but that can be worked around by making one of those choices "none of the above".

I am only a second year participant, but I was under the impression that it was a forum wide vote like last year.

The concept of an "unbiased judge" is nice, but in the real world it is impossible (unless it's a computer) - how could you get an unbiased judge selected from a group who has already veiwed the in progress models or is familair with the participants and their models.

So...how's the judging going to work?

Couldn't we just have everyone post their votes in the finished models thread to avoid the 5 limit poll? That would get it done all at once and in an open environment for everyone to see.

Or do the poll tourney style and do them 4 or 5 at a time with the top one moving on until we get to the 5 overall most popular cars and then do a final vote to decide the winner.