Model Cars Magazine Forum

1939 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery

brewsterg6

Have started my next project...a low rider kit I am going to go back to factory stock on. First step was to remove the dual exhaust with the Dremel. I bought the Galaxie kit for motor and suspension pieces, but may change my mind. Today I bought the Revel '41 Chev truck, so I may use this kit, and build the Galaxie one right. Just have to figure out which pieces fit better.

Pix010.jpg

Pix009.jpg

Edited by brewsterg6

That is looking nice, I've passed on the kit a couple of times because its a low rider. I'll be watching to see how much work a conversion will be.

Good choice on keeping the Galaxie kit as it was meant to be, that is a great kit, I just wish Galaxie would bring out something new.

I've started to mock up the supension. I think it will be the trickiest part of this build. I am surprised at how much I like the accuracey of the '41 truck kit I bought, and may be using parts from it instead of the Galaxie kit. I still like the Galaxie motor better, but the '41 has better sized tires. front and rear axles from the '41 will be used as they are wider and fill out the wheel wells better. In the picture you can see the front axle is the new one, while the rear one is the narrow one that came with the kit. The frame rails on the '41 are a bit wider, so the leaf springs on the rear will have to be moved in on the axle to fit the '39 frame. I also put one head light together for the pic!

Pix012.jpg

Pix013.jpg

Pix016.jpg

Thanks, cranky... i'm taking a bit of a breather now...I need to do a little research into the interior. As the factory car was so rare it is hard to find pics of it...too many were made into street rods! Any idea if it had a wood floor, or if the frame on the inside was exposed metal framework, or any wood? The seats were different from the cars as well, kind of a cut down version... any pics from anyone would help.

Thanks, Brewster.

Edited by brewsterg6

Well, after several inquiries around about the interior, I have recieved no answers. When in doubt...start cutting!!!! The underside of the floor shows a metal imprint, so I've cut the floor out of another pan, and am going to reverse it on top of the existing floor. Anyone know if it's supposed to have a wood floor? PLEASE STOP ME IF I'M WRONG!!!!

Pix024.jpg

Pix025.jpg

Thanks, cranky... i'm taking a bit of a breather now...I need to do a little research into the interior. As the factory car was so rare it is hard to find pics of it...too many were made into street rods! Any idea if it had a wood floor, or if the frame on the inside was exposed metal framework, or any wood? The seats were different from the cars as well, kind of a cut down version... any pics from anyone would help.

Thanks, Brewster.

Hi brewster,I own a 1:1 48 Chevy Sedan delivery, and the platform was originally a wood floor, raised with a spare tire storage at the back door. Since these were delivery vehicles, they came from the factory with the styleline interior, Bucket seats that hinged forward, rubber floor mats, vinyl or leatherette seats, 1/2 headliner if ordered by plumber or light delivery company, usually radio delete, no clock, heater was optional as well. The rear bumper usually has an indentation in it, different than the sedan it is built on. Gas tank is on the pass, side with screwcap. Hope this clears up a few things for you. Great build you have going there!

Thanks Ol'skool... Was there a door over the spare, or was it open from the back door? Was there a metal floor under the spare, and a plywood shelf?

Mocked up the rims from the '41 kit. Tires look to be a better size than the ones on the Galaxie kit. Now the question remains... White walls or Black walls????

Pix026.jpg

That is looking nice, I've passed on the kit a couple of times because its a low rider. I'll be watching to see how much work a conversion will be.

Good choice on keeping the Galaxie kit as it was meant to be, that is a great kit, I just wish Galaxie would bring out something new.

Aaron,

Galaxie Ltd. is not a company. :)

It is basically just one retired guy who doesn't need the money a new kit would bring. Due to a shrinking market, he is also concerned that such a new kit might NOT recoup enough to cover the vast cost of the new tooling!

He has talked about new kits these last ten years and even hired a few freelance analysts, artists and engineers to work out the details. The molds of such a kit would most likely be made in Korea like the Chevrolets and most Tamiya kits.

I don't believe it's in the cards right now. We may not even see a re-issue of the Chevrolet kits so I would hang onto as many as you can because the price is going to go through the roof as demand goes up. Just check out how much All American's resin kits brought on eBay! :o

By the way, I like how this Monogram 1939 Chevrolet is coming together. Very nice! :lol:

The spare tire was always accessed from under the rear floor when the cargo door is opened. This is the same as the Fords of the era.

Aaron,

Galaxie Ltd. is not a company. ;)

It is basically just one retired guy who doesn't need the money a new kit would bring. Due to a shrinking market, he is also concerned that such a new kit might NOT recoup enough to cover the vast cost of the new tooling!

He has talked about new kits these last ten years and even hired a few freelance analysts, artists and engineers to work out the details. The molds of such a kit would most likely be made in Korea like the Chevrolets and most Tamiya kits.

I don't believe it's in the cards right now. We may not even see a re-issue of the Chevrolet kits so I would hang onto as many as you can because the price is going to go through the roof as demand goes up. Just check out how much All American's resin kits brought on eBay! ;)

By the way, I like how this Monogram 1939 Chevrolet is coming together. Very nice! :)

The spare tire was always accessed from under the rear floor when the cargo door is opened. This is the same as the Fords of the era.

Thanks for the info on Galaxie, it doesn't surprise me that it is a one man operation, the stuff is just so nice and the subjects covered are kind of all over the place. It would be a shame to see the Chevy go away, it is simply one of the nicest kits I've ever built. I guess I better save up my lunch money and buy a couple more while I still can.

Brewster. I really like how this is coming along.

Tonight I asembled the motor, then figured out the mounts. Not exactly factory stock, but I cut the frame sections out of the'41 framerails and glued them behind (front) and above (tranny) the ones in the kit. This gave the motor a bit of a lift, as it sat too low in the frame before.

Pix030.jpg

Pix031.jpg

Thanks Ol'skool... Was there a door over the spare, or was it open from the back door? Was there a metal floor under the spare, and a plywood shelf?

Mocked up the rims from the '41 kit. Tires look to be a better size than the ones on the Galaxie kit. Now the question remains... White walls or Black walls????

Pix026.jpg

Floor of vehicle is metal, spare is a shelf with access from rear door. Door has a partial indentation on the inside for tire clearance. Personally I think the blackwalls look correct for the style of vehicle you are creating. As a delivery these were bare bones, not much flash. hope that helps and keep up the great work!

• 4 weeks later...

thats the kind of attitude thats not helping our hobby..... would you buy the kit if it were sitting on a different set of wheels? you wouldn't ever hear me say "oh i don't wanna buy that chevelle wagon because its a hot rod...." the kit is just a start.... up to you where you wanna take it....

i like the motor swap you got going into this build.... i got a couple of these kits and always thought it could use a inline 6.... more "old skoo" now i need to go get me an R&R sedan body and borrow this idea..... :o

i like the motor swap you got going into this build.... i got a couple of these kits and always thought it could use a inline 6.... more "old skoo" now i need to go get me an R&R sedan body and borrow this idea..... :o

Thought I'd drop this pic in.... The body from the coupe kit still fits! At first I was going to build a coupe, but was stuck on the hood sides. Then I saw the SD and realized it came with the right hood. Yesterday I realized the SD has no Interior panels at all!! I'm cutting up the coupe ones to fit the front today.

Pix033.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, now that the Christmas season is over at home and work, it's time for me to get back to the hobby table. I really have to get moving on this project as my next one is to redo the floors in the hobby room. Putting everything away is going to be a real downer so I need to finish my Chevy first. I have started on the interior. The original truck had two bucket seats. This kit came with street rod seats only so I have had to build my own factory ones. I did this by cutting in half an AMT 1940 Ford front bench seat. The ends are being filled with ends cut from an original release '40 Ford kit. The rest of that kit is long gone so please don't ride me about it! The plastic in the old half was really hard to cut but the new seat cut like butter. Just have to putty and paint it. Door panels are also primed and drying. More coming soon...

Picture.jpg

Glad to see this is still going.

thats the kind of attitude thats not helping our hobby..... would you buy the kit if it were sitting on a different set of wheels? you wouldn't ever hear me say "oh i don't wanna buy that chevelle wagon because its a hot rod...." the kit is just a start.... up to you where you wanna take it....

i like the motor swap you got going into this build.... i got a couple of these kits and always thought it could use a inline 6.... more "old skoo" now i need to go get me an R&R sedan body and borrow this idea..... :)

I mostly build fire apparatus, there are very few of those as kits so almost nothing I build is out of the box. On the other hand a kit that is going to be a lot of work just to get me back to a starting point does not rate as high on my to get list as one I don't have to undo a bunch of modifications just so I can start my own.

Went out and bought a decal set today. I was just looking for pin stripes, but they didn't have any. I figured I would look in the train stuff for a company name, and settled on CNR. I was pleasantly surprised when I got home, opened the package and found stripes on a second sheet! I will give my Dad the remainder of the decals for his railway. I did one side, but will be re-doing the stripe,as I am not happy with it.

Picture016.jpg

Picture017.jpg