Model Cars Magazine Forum

Touchy, Touchy Terms

I'm a closet grammar nazi, myself. I've just learned to ignore it the majority of the time. I'm also fine with things like ""Stang" or "'cept" or "prob'ly" (but I loathe "prolly"), at least in informal text such as chat or on a forum. I see these as a sort of "text visualization" of how someone speaks. In formal text, though, such as an email to a client or business associate, I expect and strive for proper spelling and grammar, and absolute minimal use of contractions.

I also love making up or mashing together multiple words, but I usually reserve those for friends and family who are used to how my skewed brain works. :P

But here's one that immediately flips my middle finger - "I'm going to sale my thing." It's "SELL", not "SALE". "I'm putting it up FOR SALE" or "I would like to SELL it". NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER is it "I want to SALE it". Worse than 50 nuns dragging their nails down a chalkboard, in unison. :D

Channellocks - a term used for almost all generic slip joint pliers, but a term that is registered as a trademark by Channellock, Inc., my employer for the last 31 years. incidentally, the blue color on Chabnnellock tools is also a registered trademark, and has been proven in court, refering to a certain shade of blue in the color spectrum, and extending to several shades on either side of it. Incidentally, when I started at Channellock in 1980, just about all hand tools sold by Sears (Craftsman) were manufactured by Channellock, until the business went to China....There is NO 'Sears' factory, they have ALL their products 'farmed out' so to speak.

Sorry , Danno !

I agree with your hypothesis , but protest your final diagnosis ! If said egg ( kit ) becomes a chicken ( model ) all well and good !

However if the chicken ( model ) is dropped and hits the deck , it becomes an omelet , thereby returning to it's original state ( egg ) albeit a broken one !

Now , go to your room and ponder on that one !

Lmao !

Coronet Super Bee...this one bugs me !!!! I have seen this term used on everything from EPAY to model magazine reviews and it is like nails on a chalkboard to me!!

When the Super Bee was brought out, they used the existing Coronet platform...you never see a Road Runner called a Satellite Road Runner, even though the Runner was based on the Satellite....AARGH!

I have used the term "dog dish" to describe the hubcap on a cop car rim...or was that supposed to be wheel cover??? :P

Edited by dieseldog1970

Nick,

I have a new 3/4 ton GMC truck I bought to pull trailers on the farm with hay and tractors on them. I had a dually and the new 3/4 has a higher GVW with the Z71 package. It is a heavy duty suspension package. It is not 4 wheel drive. If you get the 4 wheel drive I believe they automatically include the Z71 suspension package. I think that is the reason for confusion. It has the Z71 decals on the back part of the bed but not 4X4 under it. Man I would love to have a new model kit of this generation of GM trucks.

Z71 Package Debuted in 1989, it was only available on 4x4's and included Front differential skid plate, Transfer case skid plate, and Transmission skid plates, it also included a set of Bilstein Gas Shocks. This is what the REAL Z71 package was.

I have a customer with a 2008 Silverado 1500 2WD with the Z71, it has the skid plates and Bilsteins, but is a 2WD ONLY truck, Confused the hell out of me the first time he brought it to me, I looked at the decals on the bedside then started thinking whether or not I saw a dial on the dash, I checked the front for a front diff and CV shafts and there wasn't any it was like I mentioned a 2WD

As far as the subject of a new model of the '88-'98, IMO there's nothing really wrong with the AMT tooling a little bit of work can't fix easily.

Nick

Edit, Forgot I had a picture of Brian's Truck from around this time last year when I did a left rear wheel cylinder and a front left lower control arm. Also had his truck in today for an oil change, nice truck really, he says it gets good mileage for it being a large pickup with a V8, it's a 4.8L truck.

GEDC0745.jpg

same time I took this picture we were updating the shop website, hence the photo with no "Techs" present.

Edited by Nick Winter

Sorry , Danno !

I agree with your hypothesis , but protest your final diagnosis ! If said egg ( kit ) becomes a chicken ( model ) all well and good !

However if the chicken ( model ) is dropped and hits the deck , it becomes an omelet , thereby returning to it's original state ( egg ) albeit a broken one !

Now , go to your room and ponder on that one !

Lmao !

The chicken-egg-model analogy falls apart when dropped from sufficient height to dislodge chicken-egg-model pieces and then returns to the "as described" definition of a kit, IE; multiple pieces not currently connected to each other and not depicting a commonly recognized form.

Then there's the people who say "Chi-caah-go" (like I do) and people who say "Chi-kaw-go."

my favorite is = ill-a-noise

or when john f kennedy put an "r" at the end of cuba=cuber

or folks from new england that have an "idea'r"

Coronet Super Bee...this one bugs me !!!! I have seen this term used on everything from EPAY to model magazine reviews and it is like nails on a chalkboard to me!!

When the Super Bee was brought out, they used the existing Coronet platform...you never see a Road Runner called a Satellite Road Runner, even though the Runner was based on the Satellite....AARGH!

I have used the term "dog dish" to describe the hubcap on a cop car rim...or was that supposed to be wheel cover??? :P

Coronet Super Bee versus Charger Super Bee (1971 only ) .

But , your point is taken :) .

Since this thread has taken a far-turn :

- I , too , despise the fast food "up-sale" . Typically , the inquiry as to whether or not I want fries / drink / enema / cake is asked before one finishes their order . Stop.It.

- Being asked , "Is that my price ?" when someone's buying an auto part . NO ! That price is for someone else !

Also : "Is that the best you can do [price wise] ? I remember when coolant was $2 / gallon !"

Well , I remember when gas cost less than one dollar / gallon ; yet , I never ask the "attendant" if they can "work with me" on the price of gas . Funny how that works , huh ?!?

There are many , many more irritating things which people say or do , but I'd be here all night if I wanted to mention all of them !!

Ask me again why I've got a Solipistic / nihilistic attitude !

Channellocks - a term used for almost all generic slip joint pliers, but a term that is registered as a trademark by Channellock, Inc., my employer for the last 31 years. incidentally, the blue color on Chabnnellock tools is also a registered trademark, and has been proven in court, refering to a certain shade of blue in the color spectrum, and extending to several shades on either side of it. Incidentally, when I started at Channellock in 1980, just about all hand tools sold by Sears (Craftsman) were manufactured by Channellock, until the business went to China....There is NO 'Sears' factory, they have ALL their products 'farmed out' so to speak.

Yes there is and I grew up just blocks away from it and even worked there at one time just before it closed down. Of course it was called Bradley Roper by then! Part of the factory is still standing and says SEARS & ROEBUCK CO. right across the top of the building! ;)

I'm a closet grammar nazi, myself. I've just learned to ignore it the majority of the time. I'm also fine with things like ""Stang" or "'cept" or "prob'ly" (but I loathe "prolly"), at least in informal text such as chat or on a forum. I see these as a sort of "text visualization" of how someone speaks. In formal text, though, such as an email to a client or business associate, I expect and strive for proper spelling and grammar, and absolute minimal use of contractions.

I also love making up or mashing together multiple words, but I usually reserve those for friends and family who are used to how my skewed brain works. :P

But here's one that immediately flips my middle finger - "I'm going to sale my thing." It's "SELL", not "SALE". "I'm putting it up FOR SALE" or "I would like to SELL it". NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER is it "I want to SALE it". Worse than 50 nuns dragging their nails down a chalkboard, in unison. :D

While working at PHEAA (Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency) for the state of Pennsylvania, we were instructed to write our notes of every "Customer" we spoke with abbreviated to save space on the server. After getting off the phone, I had mega notes that read something like, Spke 2 brwr n rgrds 2 blnce owd. Cnfrmd addy, # & emplymt. Wl cl bck n 2 dys. LOL. Talk about some misspelled words and grammar errors ha ha. I'm the worst speller in the world and usually can guarantee punctuation errors in every post I make. Thank god the computer I use puts little red lines under any word that is misspelled or not punctuated correctly because being bi polar and OCD I HATE red lines under my words ha ha ha ha.

i went to a local restaurant, the waitress said my order would take a little longer because they had to "un-thaw" somemore hamburger pattys.

i informed her i did not want a frozen burger......she assured me it would be cooked :blink:

Unless that is they're Trim level, my feeling on GM trucks is that a truck being a Cheyenne Trim level 1/2 ton 2WD is a Cheyenne C1500, not a Silverado 1/2ton, Z71 belongs tacked on the name of trucks wearing that 4x4 package, etc.

Nick

Exactly. It's the trim level. Not the model. "1993 Silverado" is telling me nothing. Now, if you call it what it's supposed to be called, say, 1993 K2500 Silverado, then I know you have a 3/4 ton, four wheel drive truck. (With the Silverado package. :D ) But just calling it a Silverado would be like me calling my truck a '94 Ford XLT, or my neighbor calling his truck a '99 SLT Laramie... and nothing else.

Let's all calm down ....... proceed to the modeling table, take a couple of deep breaths and scratchbuild a 1:1 dodge with a posi rearend and pontiac tripower. It will have mag style wheels that are actually hubcaps. When it's finished we will call it a ratrod.

With corvette heads, gota have Vette heads !!!

Man, I would love to see the bone yard with all the decapiteted corvettes in it, everyone has vette heads.

rat bike= old rusty jerry rigged bike

hot rod= old car that looks good

street rod= car with big engine

rat rod= old car with no attention to looks with function only mindset.

why are these so bad???

what are we supposed to call them. lets see.

32 ford with no fenders, rusted/flat paint, opional bullet holes, bare bones interior, chevy engine and big tires.

i will call them rat rods until sombody compresses those term into a cool word

To Johnny in illinois, if you re read my post I said there IS no Sears factory....your statement fell under "was"...(GRIN)....'Z'

Well the factory IS still there. Just different things going on inside now! :lol:

It was originally the David Bradley Farm Implement Company (What it says on the west side of the building in white brick)prior to Sears buying it out.

Then Roper Corporation bought it and ran it until it closed.(thanks to the Union <_< )