Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Best Car Ever Tested?

Two things:

1) I misread the topic title. I thought it said "Best Car Ever Tasted." Figured it was another 'carbeque' thread.

2) Just goes to show you the absence of automotive value of Consumer Reports. It's more like "Ralph Nader's Day Dreams Magazine."

2) Just goes to show you the absence of automotive value of Consumer Reports. It's more like "Ralph Nader's Day Dreams Magazine."

Meaning what? That the testers aren't all 17 year-old gearheads? How do you see their testing as invalid or irrelevant or whatever it is you're inferring?

Meaning what? That the testers aren't all 17 year-old gearheads? How do you see their testing as invalid or irrelevant or whatever it is you're inferring?

Meaning their testers are not all 17-year-old gearheads.

Their scoring the Tesla at 99 out of 100 and calling it the best car they've ever tested says all one needs to know. They are not from the real world.

In my Constitutionally-protected (for the time being) humble opinion. Your experience may differ.

I'm sure it's a lovely piece of technology and I like the looks, but it's somehow hard for me to think a $70,000 vehicle that takes 6 hours to "refuel" after only 225 or so miles is so, like, totally awesome.

I'm still at a loss to understand how the vastly increased electrical generation necessary to recharge electric vehicles, STILL primarily from burning fossil fuels (about 70%), is perceived as a world-saving strategy.

I think a little more critical-thinking, real-world experience and big-picture perspective might be helpful for the staff of reviewers.

I wonder what the cost of replacing the battery packs will be when they reach their recharge-cycle limit, which batteries do, ya know.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Consumer Reports definitely is not a 'gearhead' or auto enthusiast type publication. They are a consumer-focused publication for the mainstream that buy a car for transportation. The Tesla is a niche eco-luxury car, odd that they would like it so much, compared to say a Prius, Camry or other mainstream appliance.

I don't get why you guys dismiss their testing or results. Seems to me that they test cars in a legitimate, realistic way, using parameters that apply to real-world, regular people, not gearheads or drag racers or "car guys."

As far as the limited range... well, yeah, at this point in time and technology, electric cars are limited in range. But they have to judge the car based on today's performance standards, not tomorrow's possible performance standards. Today's electric cars are what they are, they'll get better in the future, but as of today, they find this one to be the best so far. I can't see any legitimate flaws or anomalies in their results. Sure, this car might not be your average gearhead's cup of tea, but then again, it's not meant to be. The car apparently does what it was designed to do very well. And looks very cool on top of it!

It's out of my league, price-wise... but if I was in a place where I could shop for cars in that price range, I'd give this one a serious look. Might not buy it, but I'd sure not dismiss it out of hand.

It is a beautiful car, seen several around here. I have no problem w/ Consumer Reports approach, I know I'm not their target audience as far as cars...I'm not in the mainstream..nothing wrong w/ that. I've used CR before in evaluating home appliances, (washer and dryer, etc), their methodology seems sound..

Edited by Rob Hall

It is a beautiful car, seen several around here. I have no problem w/ Consumer Reports approach, I know I'm not their target audience as far as cars...I'm not in the mainstream..nothing wrong w/ that. I've used CR before in evaluating home appliances, (washer and dryer, etc), their methodology seems sound..

Exactly. Their methodology is sound.

Car & Driver might give points to a car for a "throaty exhaust note," but that's because they test cars with a bias toward what their readers want and expect. CR tests cars without bias (or maybe I should say a bias towards "regular" consumers). I think their testing methods are solid and make perfect sense. And they never said that the Tesla is the best car ever... they're saying it's the best car that they have ever tested, according to their own testing methodology.

Opinions vary. To me, as stated, a vehicle, ANY vehicle, that only goes about 220 miles before requiring 6 hours of down-time hardly approaches perfection, if it's being evaluated as a "car".. Just because "experts" say something is so, it's isn't necessarily true.

Granted, the car scored well in the test criteria, which makes the test criteria suspect, as it's still a "car" of severely limited practicality OR affordability. It's no more real-world consumer transportation than an old Willys gasser on the street.

And if you recall, it was financial and economics "experts" (whose opinions were treated as gospel) that caused the worldwide economic collapse.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Opinions vary. To me, as stated, a vehicle, ANY vehicle, that only goes about 220 miles before requiring 6 hours of down-time hardly approaches perfection...

I get your point, but like I said, that's where electric car technology is today. Range is limited, recharge times are long. Obviously an all-electric car isn't going to be most people's first choice for their daily driver. But given the inherent limits of today's electric cars, they found this one to be the best they've tested so far. That's all they're saying.

Given I drive about 50 miles a day round trip M-F, an electric would work fine for me as a commuter car for the range...but I'll stick my w/ 6-cyl RWD car and SUV for the forseeable future, though I may switch to a V8 RWD car for my next daily driver.

It all depends on the driver's use case for a car whether or not the range is an issue.

Edited by Rob Hall

Granted, the car scored well in the test criteria, which makes the test criteria suspect, as it's still a "car" of severely limited practicality OR affordability.

I don't think you can test for practicality, and you certainly can't test for affordability.

To one person a 7-passenger SUV is highly practical, to another, a Miata is practical. Same with price... it's a matter of personal preference (or bank account!). But you can test for things like acceleration, braking, handling, ride comfort, reliability, construction quality, etc., and in those areas the Tesla apparenty does very well.

I get your point, but like I said, that's where electric car technology is today. Range is limited, recharge times are long. Obviously an all-electric car isn't going to be most people's first choice for their daily driver. But given the inherent limits of today's electric cars, they found this one to be the best they've tested so far. That's all they're saying.

And I get YOUR point. If the car is rated as the BEST ELECTRIC they've tested, I'm sure it is. Best CAR, period...I'd just have to disagree with their definition of "best". Kinda depends on what your definition of "is" is.

I suppose it would be more illuminating to subscribe to CR and see their typical point-by-point checklist and detailed review.

I used to subscribe. Their testing methods are pretty thorough and solid as far as methodology. Sure, test results will vary depending on exactly who is doing the testing, how they do it, and what parameters they define as being important or relevant. I'm sure Hot Rod would probably have a different opinion of the car than CR does.

I'm definitely NOT knocking the car. I have a lot of respect for the Tesla company for even being able to pull this off. It's pretty close to impossible to become a mass producer of vehicles almost overnight, and to go from zero-to-world-class so quickly is impressive.

As far as real-world though, the car's not really relevant, but it's good to see things like this available. It has ALWAYS been the folks with more money who have been the early-adopters of new technology. Lessons learned producing higher-end vehicles will trickle down to better average-consumer, greener transportation options over time.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The automotive press really likes it, and describe best points and shortcomings:

Road & Track February test of a new higher-powered (and higher-priced) version:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/road-tests/road-test-2013-tesla-model-s

Car and Driver test of a pre-production version:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-tesla-model-s-test-review

Okay, It's not a long trip type car but how many of us drive under 225 miles on a daily commute and don't spend over 6 hours at our destination. It seems this car is targeted toward luxury car buyers that care about the environment, or at least want to appear as though. It's not everyones cup of tea but it is, according to CR and others, a very impressive car. CR is just saying this is the car that has gotten the highest test scores ever, according to their testing. If I remember right, this is Tesla's first ground up car as their roadster was Lotus based. For a comany to hit a home run first time at bat, that's pretty awesome!