Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blower Bentley Kits Question

Ken McGuire

This is the Heller Bentley, as built by (not so...) small daughter:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61833&hl=

It's a really nice kit -- basically identical to the big Airfix one but half the size. The parts breakdown is almost identical and there's pretty much the same level of detail...

Make sure you get the Heller one, though... the Revell/Union 1/24 Bentley is NOT the same, and isn't as good...

bestest,

M.

• 2 months later...

The big Airfix Bentley UR6571 that was first made in the 1970's was a short chassis variant known as the 'Pau Car'.

Their latest re release of this kit has a different number plate for another short chassis variant.

I hope that Airfix has also got the position of the Flying B emblem in the right place on the radiator shell if they have been retooling bits of this kit. It was far too low on all their previous re releases of this kit.

Anyone venturing to modify this kit into a long chassis variant will have to add 25mm to the chassis.

The big Airfix Bentley UR6571 that was first made in the 1970's was a short chassis variant known as the 'Pau Car'.

Their latest re release of this kit has a different number plate for another short chassis variant.

I hope that Airfix has also got the position of the Flying B emblem in the right place on the radiator shell if they have been retooling bits of this kit. It was far too low on all their previous re releases of this kit.

Anyone venturing to modify this kit into a long chassis variant will have to add 25mm to the chassis.

I would like to know also if there are any differences between the original 1:12 kit and the recent reissue (but I'm not going to pay $140 to find out - or even half that). My guess is that the only difference is the license plate/chassis number, in order to avoid any property rights questions with the current owner, Ralph Lauren (or could it be an Airfix ploy to sell more kits? - "Hey, don't you want another team car, #9, to go with your #8 car?").

The new box art shows the Flying B badge in the correct, higher position, but I think the art is a combination of what's in the kit and what a 1:1 looks like - those definitely are not kit wire wheels on the box.

New box art below. Check the link that Casey posted above for more discussion, and Matt Bacon's link shows a terrific 1/24 build by his daughter. 1/12 - 1/24 comparison here:

http://gregers.7.for...opic.php?t=2056

AirfixBentley193045l112-176606732.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

I think Matt put it best- the Heller is like the big Airfix kit at half the size- very nicely done. I haven't built the Heller kit, but I've seen built and unbuilt examples of them in person and they're very nicely done. I do have the 1:12 MPC version of the Airfix kit- unfortunately it is VERY incomplete, so I'm building only the engine as a display piece.

I think Matt put it best- the Heller is like the big Airfix kit at half the size- very nicely done. I haven't built the Heller kit, but I've seen built and unbuilt examples of them in person and they're very nicely done. I do have the 1:12 MPC version of the Airfix kit- unfortunately it is VERY incomplete, so I'm building only the engine as a display piece.

Yes, the 1/12 is incomplete to a certain extent, but this is the sort of kit that invites experienced modelers to dress it up without a lot of fuss - add real mesh in many places, plus create a carburetor stone guard, add a bit of wiring (and for some reason add a missing fan), external brake linkage, etc. Some very fragile parts could be upgraded. Huge tutorials and a long book have been written about upgrading this kit, but I don't think all of that is necessary for building a very nice model. You can look at John Teresi's build journal on this forum for tips on going all-out with touches that can't even be seen, from the heart of an extremely dedicated and talented builder.

• 2 weeks later...

Skip was at it over 40 years ago and did a bloody good job:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62237&hl=%20airfix%20%20bentley&st=0

This is John Teresi's effort:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50534&hl=bentley

Sean Morgan is building one while hanging off the Earth upside down:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56391&hl=bentley

Yes, the 1/12 is incomplete to a certain extent, but this is the sort of kit that invites experienced modelers to dress it up without a lot of fuss - add real mesh in many places, plus create a carburetor stone guard, add a bit of wiring (and for some reason add a missing fan), external brake linkage, etc. Some very fragile parts could be upgraded. Huge tutorials and a long book have been written about upgrading this kit, but I don't think all of that is necessary for building a very nice model. You can look at John Teresi's build journal on this forum for tips on going all-out with touches that can't even be seen, from the heart of an extremely dedicated and talented builder.

Well, specifically I meant my particular kit is incomplete, as it is missing the tires, lamps, dash, and quite a few other key bits (it was cannibalized at one point to repair a broken older build by a previous owner). So incomplete above and beyond an untouched kit. B)

• 2 years later...

I cannot say that I know of any articles on this one, but the one I bought for myself and built, did not pose any particular problems. It is a kit that you might want to look over and plan out before you dive into it. Difficult? - Not really, but keep the instructions at hand and don't rush. You should be fine.