Model Cars Magazine Forum

1925 Model T Hotrod

jrherald420

My wife caught me completely off guard on the last trip to Hobby Lobby and told me she wanted me to build her a model using a paint color she picked out. Ended up being Emerald Green so i picked up the AMT dual 25 model t kit.

Man was this kit garbage....I should have took it back to the store but its a 25 mile drive back. The chrome tree was trash, all the chrome was thin and see through in spots. Very heavy and thick flashing on all the parts trees except the stock version of the kit. Heck the wheels were not even molded round!! lol The mounting tabs that held the parts on the tree would sometimes be over 1/4 inch thick, like the fan blade for instance. All said and done i don't think i will even build the stock version due to piss poor directions, i mean come on 1 exploded picture......lol enough complaining here's the only picture i took. It has the red windows but they didn't show up very good.

8408555646_7c4c5259db.jpg
IMG_8040 by jrherald420, on Flickr

Looks like you worked it out, nice model.

James, understand that you are working with a repop of a near 50 year old tooling. Things were a lot rougher back then, so it's not like a Tamiya kit. And the tool has seen a lot of use hence the flash. When working with these, we give the kit a bit of leeway, clean up the important parts and swap in better parts for wheels and such. I have this same kit. So far I just took that body out of the box and cut the trunk off it. I want to build a rat rod or traditional rod pickup from it.

I didn't know it was cast from the original molds. That explains a lot. I was thinking it was just a new tooling of the old design with retro instructions.

Not a problem James! You just illustrated the quandary of the model companies. You weren't familiar with the history of that kit (the crudeness is part of the charm to us old crusties!), probably have some modern AMT tools that are great detailed kits, and thought that they did a crummy job on this one.

Same thing happened when a guy had the AMT '58 Plymouth, a modern kit, and then bought the '62 Buick. The Buick is a genuine 1962 kit with a one piece chassis. He wondered what was up just like you. The companies need to better explain the history of the kits on the box or instruction sheet. I know AMT has some of the older kits with the trees illustrated on the bottom of the box to show you what you are getting.

For future purchases, just post here on the board and ask for input. Within a few minutes guys here will let you know exactly what you are getting! Best to ya!

Oh, Mr Smythe.. BE NICE! :D

Edited by Tom Geiger

I looked into the kit on here before i got it and there was a lot of good reviews. It was a neat little build that only took about 6 hours but i was let down mainly by the bad chrome tree. The wheels were deformed and the rear shocks were only half there. It was a parts tree that was missed by QC. I've worked in Injection Molding and it was just a incomplete tree that slipped by, happens a lot when the hopper runs low.