Model Cars Magazine Forum

What does "no selling on the forums" mean?

Just my opinion ....

We are skating on thin ice here with a chance of hurting the aftermarket industry . Harry explained the rules quite clearly . Casey stated that in his opinion , there is a razor thin line involved with this subject between advertising and promotion which I agree with , up to a point .....

Being a member of the aftermarket cottage industry , I pay for advertisement , whether it be through the magazines , my website , or the online forums . Without it , I'd be dead in the water. Even more importantly , however , is other individuals who purchased my DVDs , promoting their worth in the magazines , on the forums , YouTube , chat rooms , etc . This is what fuels the motor for a business and keeps the lights on and the doors open !

Every chance I get , I praise an individual's product that I find worthy of it , here's why . By doing so , I help that individuals sales grow , which allows them to garner the funds to create even more products for the aftermarket industry . This also helps the hobby itself , by informing other individuals of said products worth , they purchase them , more funds for more product development . Simply put , I'll have more options to work with , and more toys to play with , be they tools , kits , parts , paints , etc !

Revell comes out with a new kit , the resin industry comes out with a different body to go with said kit . Bob Dudek machines a specific set of wheels and head light buckets , while Slixx puts out a new set of decals that enables us to build three different drag versions of Revell's new offering . The industry is a circle that feeds each and every part of itself through promotion via the Internet , forums , and magazines .

If an individual or company cannot afford to advertise , how better to help them and the hobby expand and grow by simply promoting through word of mouth or the keyboard via the forums .

Need aluminum machined parts ? Go see Dudek ! Braided line ? Go to Charlie at Pro Tech ! Badge decals ? Keith Marks , he's the best ! Resin parts ? Eddie Fluck , The MADD Modelers of Detroit , RMR , Competition Resin , etc . Am I advertising here ? Nope ! I am not making one red cent off of them by doing this , I am promoting their excellent line of products . By doing so , I am helping their business and our hobby grow , as should we all !

We have seen quite a few worthwhile companies and products disappear over the last few years for a variety of reasons . The last thing I want to see is this forum or a rule change being the demise of even more ...... Think about that !

Here's what works and is approved by the powers that be...

MY QUESTION: If Donn Yost replied to a post saying something like "I totally disagree with the prejudice against enamels in favor of lacquers because I have worked with enamels for decades and find them much more versatile. I've even compiled my experience into a series of DVDs with detailed information that you can find here:

The answer is, that's okay as long as no transactions are occurring on the forum, but only on the referenced website in the post, without pricing or detailed purchase information on this forum.
Edited by sjordan2

My issue isn't with you or any of the many resin casters or other cottage companies, it is with the double standard that I perceive to exist here. I accept the fact that Gregg has chosen not to have a "marketplace" for active selling, but see so many instances of "walking that fine line" that it irritates me from time to time.

The fine line is this: If someone makes a post here and includes all the information needed in order for a person to actually buy that product right here, without having to go somewhere else to make the purchase, that is "selling on the forum" and is not allowed.

If the post is a referral or a reference or a link to a product... in other words, if you have to leave this forum and go somewhere else in order to make the purchase, then that is not considered "selling on the forum."

There's a difference between selling and advertising. I agree, it may be splitting hairs to some, but it's a hair that has to be split. I mean, we have to have a specific definition as to what constitutes "selling on the forum" and what doesn't.

That's how I define "selling on the forum."

Most members here who are also aftermarket suppliers, like Donn or Charlie at Pro Tech and many others, are cool with the no selling rule... and they don't take advantage of the "advertising" side of things. If any particular aftermarket supplier were to get obnoxious and start posting a ton of "buy my stuff at www.xxxxxxxxxx.com" type of posts all over the place, then obviously I would let them know that they needed to cool it. But as long as it doesn't get out of hand, I think I agree with Donn's thought, that the more we know about the various products and services out there, the better is is for the hobby, both buyers and sellers. After all, one of the purposes of a forum is to share information.

Again, the reason we don't want actual selling taking place here is the inevitable problems it would cause... buyers and sellers having a problem with a sale. As long as the actual transaction takes place at the seller's website or online store, and not here, we're ok.

I know that some of you disagree with my definition of "selling on the forum," but someone has to define it. Unless I hear otherwise from Gregg, my definition is the one we'll use.

Guest G Holding

Easiest way is NO links or anything. Period. Then if a link does show up...it can be removed or SELL ADVERTISING SPACE.

I see Donn's paid ads on the other forum, thats how everyone gets a level playing field.

Easiest way is NO links or anything. Period. Then if a link does show up...it can be removed or SELL ADVERTISING SPACE.

I see Donn's paid ads on the other forum, thats how everyone gets a level playing field.

Seems to me that one of the advantages of a forum like this is to pass along information about where our fellow modelers can find resources they need. This suggestion would ban mention of eBay or online stores by either a helpful member or a seller that uses another site. I think Harry has explained everything very well.

Everytime this comes up I shake my head. Nobody cares what you do in PMs or email except for illegal behavior like threatening another member.

Have a car model to trade, and somebody PMs you that he doesn't have any of the kits you want but does have a nice, crisp U.S. Grant ($50 bill) that he would trade for it. Do you really think Harry or Casey are going to come crashing through the window like Batman if you accept that "trade"?

If you "trade" cash for a model or part and get took, so sorry but that is a risk of buying selling anywhere but in person (and sometimes even then). If there is no selling on the site, and you buy or sell something through PMs then you really have no business bringing it up on the site.

The trade section is bad enough with people openly negotiating back and forth. Beyond here is what I have, and here are some ideas of what I want for it, the only other posts should be PM sent or requests for more info which doing openinly makes sense because anybody interested might want to see the reply.

That is the real point of the no buying and selling rule, the mods do not have the time or the ability to play Judge Judy when there is a dispute and really they shouldn't have to. If they are getting as many PMs over bad trades as they say they get, I'm surprised that section has remained open.

Being the owner of an aftermarket company, I really tried to stay out of this so I would not offend anyone. If I do offend you, I am sorry. The key thing to remeber here is that this is a free site for us to enjoy.. The rule is what it is. I will not act as if I have never sold anything to members here or, made trades. Infact the members here have been quite supportive. Use the PM feature. It really is that simple. Add a link to your site if you have one, it really is that simple. I may or, may not agree 100% with all the rules here or, any other site I visit. However, I am in no position or, have any interest in starting my own forum.

It's just soooo exciting. :rolleyes: Not!!! :lol:

I'll be elsewhere doing something probably a whole lot more interesting on race day.

Plan on doing a lot of model building & fishing on Saturdays and Sundays this year! B)