Model Cars Magazine Forum

51 Chev Fleetline Custom

Farmboy

GREGG!!!!!!! This one belongs in MCM; Farmboy, you've got a great build going...made me dig out my '51 kit (AMT T284) and find that '50 Ford front end. Got 'em on the workbench now. Thanks for all the pics, too.

Joe

P.S. Had a '52 Chevy Deluxe 4-door in high school, black on the bottom and light green on top with red plaid seat covers inside. I loved driving that 'ole car around! It was stolen in 1969 and I never saw it again....man....

I have this kit and have been contemplating how to chop it for years. Now you have answered my questions. The chop looks just right! You are right, there may be other, better ways but this is a way that I think I can accomplish. Thanks for all of the photos.

Later-

You are doing a great job. there was an article in R&C a couple of years ago about chopping a real car like this and they did it almost exactly the same way you did the model. Your plastic strip welds look just like the welds on the real thing from the article.

oldscool

Here`s the primer queen in her first rough coat. Some finish sanding and the odd touch up and she`ll be ready for paint. I`ll be using the fender skirts and probably chrome wheels/moons that came with the kit. Thanx everybody for the kind words, glad the pics and the process (though I`m not really sure I did it all correctly) were of interest.

LBBRgss08WnK4hvUdVj9aRH1kp3pLBIG.jpg

TlgnkaavgBcU3KotKkIUk1GL9N4fIGhL.jpg

VCBeW8Aiocpg2HnONHjGsSupQjt5i70g.jpg

1DutoePLS4tCvKSIbTT6Kd9WAKl6NHCN.jpg

HQV2n1tv1AHpRniP1tt3SWIrdiPTdLKa.jpg

As always, comments and critiques welcome.

That is looking sweet!! Only thing I can offer is maybe lower the bottom of the rear window opening a tad...say split the distance between the lower rear window edge and the trunk opening line. Would offer a more realistic window opening from the drivers view and not be a "mailslot". Just my 2 cents worth B)

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a mock up of where I'm at with the Fleetline. I decided on a plain maroon type of red for the body and minimal BMF. Much as I liked the fender skirts they just weren't working for me so off they came. The grille is one I removed from an amt '57 vette. It'll be centered vertically when its installed. Glad I saved it! Still to come are front/rear bumpers sourced from the parts box. The headlight pots will have bmf and maybe the bottom edge trim on the hood as well. These shots are before clear and polishing.

fNU6MMDwlmwI9opK2b7cluMPLvispgSn.jpg

fAV6t3fhGcUe6imIDM5cEPghEa1e5qQR.jpg

and the interior is a two tone black. I think it fits well. Just some BMF detailing to add

dNR3Q69KNmqQ8lobDARGe02ImIWJp7jK.jpg

as always, your comments and critiques are welcome. Hope these pics are of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Using the kit supplied chrome wheels necessitates using the optional wider rubber tires. I like the look, but even with the dual height choice for the front, it didn't lower the car to my satisfaction. I used the time honored modeler's trick of cutting and re-attaching the wheel backs off center. It's a curbside model so I can do this with a clear conscience! It also presents an interesting problem. The fronts don't set up in the fenderwells very far due to the narrowing area, so out comes the dremel and sanding drum to narrow the tops of the tires -- that area can't be seen from any angle so I'm also confortable with it. I'll have pics after surgery.

ckAcdjmwOvkSACL5CG6sVIpueMqf0WGf.jpg

I worked out the height for the rears by setting the spring mounts on a sanding stick and cemeting the wheel backs (in the tires) to dry in position, that prevents anything but the tires from touching the ground on the completed model.

pI9lGNcpj9dqEK29EVDPkKtwatOWsr0H.jpg

comments and critiques welcome as always. Mike

...it looks pretty gruesome but this is the narrowing required for the wider tires to fit under the front fenderwells so it lowers to match the rear

vbGgiKnnRjh5s25EfUwasw3VMbqsrd4q.jpg

qiAMgnhKb8MRDm5AA3tIMMacfWjGuwqc.jpg

and here's the mockup of how the suspension fits. The rear tires are not attached to the wheel backs and it looks cramped. They fit more comfortably when the wheel back and front are cemented together and narrows each wheel assembly a bit.

pk0PRApJj5KjDv1QtEdR4fi2c7oHV3Nq.jpg