Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Chevy Impala----Just a tease! 4/9/16

MrObsessive

Wow I am blown away by the amount of detail you have added to your build. Im currently working on the same kit from revell that doesnt hold a candle to yours. Very fine work sir, and as far as troubleshooting goes how are you going to shrink yourself so you can drive this masterpiece? Lol, cant wait to see the rest of this build.

Edited by ratchetman87

wow! i havent looked in on this one in a while, and i gotta say.......again WOW!! i love the E brake cables, they looks great, and the engine is just incredible. beautiful work bill. im keep an eye on this one...

keep up the great work!

cheers

bryan

Thanks Mike!

For the E-Brake lines, I used the shielding found inside coax cable (I've got a bunch of it since I work with cables), and this was wrapped around .015" dia. bead wire. I just simply kept pushing the coiling together to represent shielding. This was also the same shielding wire I used to make the return spring on the 348's throttle linkage. It's just thin enough to look in scale for springs and such.

Thanks for asking!

Thanks Bill, I just happen to have a 1000' box of RG-6 to steal the shielding from. I tried guitar base strings but found they were too hard to work with.

Right now, it looks like the one I had long ago ... is the body going to be white?

CHEVY59A_zpsb4abdd39.jpg

Those carbs look busy! ... the greatest compliment I can give.

It's also sitting very well.

Mike, it's going to be Roman Red-------I originally thought about painting it white with a red interior, but after seeing a red one on eBay Motors, I knew mine had to be that color. That's a beautiful '59 you have pictured there........whatever happened to it?

Mike, it's going to be Roman Red-------I originally thought about painting it white with a red interior, but after seeing a red one on eBay Motors, I knew mine had to be that color. That's a beautiful '59 you have pictured there........whatever happened to it?

Red will look good.

This was my 2nd car that I bought mostly for the dashboard ... my favorite dash of all time! My Dad sold it after I got drafted and someone up the street gave him an offer I couldn't refuse.

Nice job Bill. I'm curious about the plunge molding technique for making windshields. Where did you find that thread?

Tom, it was featured in Matt Bacon's build of his Maserati 3500 GT which can be found here. I'm going to try a different tack than what he did------stay tuned for this down the road. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Time for some updates! I finally got the engine bay done, and now have moved on to the interior. Here are a few pics to show what's been going on................

One of the things I did was to add battery cable terminals to the battery. These were made from solder, and they're mighty tiny! If I can carve out some time down the road, I'll do a how-to on how I make these.

photo2-vi.jpg?1391336486

photo3-vi.jpg?1391336487

The cables came from some loose wire I had laying around, that appeared to be the correct diameter for what I wanted. One faux pas that I ran into was when I was trying to attach the negative cable, I made it too short and had to try again. The wire I used the next time is a slightly smaller diameter than what you see here.

On '59 Chevy's (probably all of GM's '59's) the positive cable runs through two clamps that are on the passenger side inner fenders. I made these clamps from tiny strips of brass with holes drilled through them to accept 0.5mm sized rivets. These were then dipped in a solution called "Blacken It" which darkens and dulls brass to get rid of the "brassiness". This pic was taken however before the clamps were dipped...............

photo-vi.jpg?1391336475

OK, the finished engine bay...............

photo-vi.jpg?1391336477

photo1-vi.jpg?1391336480

photo-vi.jpg

Now that's done, it's time to turn some attention to the interior. So far I've just flocked the floor using red Embossing Powder which I picked up at Michael's.

photo4-vi.jpg?1391336642

photo-vi.jpg?1391336484

Too bad that most of this will get covered up by the seats and such.............but I'll know it's there.

I'll probably need to extend back the carpeting a scooch so that it falls just under the rear seat when it's put in. Here's a pic BTW, of what the embossing powder looks like in its jar...........

photo5-vi.jpg

Well, that's it for the time being! I don't know if you know, but I now have a YouTube channel where if you'd like, you can watch me build this! For those interested, you can click on the link in my signature, or you can check out the latest video I did here. The video quality is not the best in the world-------hopefully down the road I can spend some money on a webcam that does macro quite well. But hey! YouTube doesn't charge anything for doing this, and I can be on the air as long as I'd like!

I try to be on some evenings (I may be on this evening)............I may be on for as little as a half hour, to as long as maybe two hours. It depends! :D

Thanks for following along...........hopefully more to add soon!

Excellent W.I.P. Bill ! I'm glad you are back at your bench as I've always enjoyed following your builds .

The chassis on this '59 is what really stands out to me , the details and the red - oxide primer just looks great ! Most people paint it black or body color and in my opinion it just looks wrong . And Roman Red is the perfect color ! :)

I've owned one '59 and two 60's and still can't pick a favorite !

Most impressive as always, Bill! I truly admire your skill in getting a model with so much detail to sit and fit just right. The roof swap really makes a difference in accurate appearance of the model and if I every build this kit it'll be the first thing I do.

Maybe I missed it but how did you fix it so the inner rocker panels don't stick out below the bottom edge of the body like every other build of this kit I've seen?

John, the roofline was one of those things that stuck out to me like a sore thumb! Having seen lots of these cars as a kid, I spotted right away that the windshield header was just too plain flat. Interesting that they got it right on the '60, so someone must have pointed that out to Revell. Unfortunately, Revell has some other kits out there that could stand a roofectomy............but I'll cross that bridge if I ever want to build those.

As far as the rockers----I don't have the interior fully in place yet. In fact, that may be the reason that you see very little of the rockers hanging down as I'm not using the "platform" that's in the kit for the interior, That would have really interfered with the appearance of the opening doors, and how the door jambs should look when the doors are opened.

I'll not be using the kit's glass as well, but will be molding my own------at least make a valiant effort to mold my own as cars like this scream out to have glass as distortion free as possible! That also may contribute to the finished models that you've seen sitting too high. Revell's glass is exceptionally thick at times, and this of course could lead to stance problems with the finished product.

Thanks for asking!

John, the roofline was one of those things that stuck out to me like a sore thumb! Having seen lots of these cars as a kid, I spotted right away that the windshield header was just too plain flat. Interesting that they got it right on the '60, so someone must have pointed that out to Revell. Unfortunately, Revell has some other kits out there that could stand a roofectomy............but I'll cross that bridge if I ever want to build those.

Yeah, Bill, not to mention the AMT '59 Buick and Pontiac I've got on my build roster that'd certainly benefit from the '60 Impala roof transplant! Yikes!

Thanks for the info on the rockers. I s'pose the problem I see on many builds of Revell's '59 and '60 Impala could be a "tolerance stack" issue between body, glass, interior, and floor pan on final assembly.

Good luck with molding the glass. Sounds like a worthwhile experiment!