Model Cars Magazine Forum

MG TC 1:16.....again

Twokidsnosleep

Reposting a lost build thread of mine, I have waited a week to make sure the site settled into the new server.

This is for the better as I can put it into the Big Boys where it belongs, but I am sorry to lose the comments and help that I had received from you guys, so please feel free to reply again!

And here we go

The kit as it came to me for $30 CAD

IMG_1566.jpg]IMG_1668.jpg

Wheels and sprues...some items were started and painted but you expect that in an abandoned kit on sale

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

The biggest surprise was the bonnet...a ton of CA glue and a bit of a mess

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

My plan is to restore this car to how I would want one. I will disassemble everything I can that won't damage the kit.

I have some plans for exhaust system, engine and interior leather work

Leaving it here to get some office work done before I have to fire myself

Cheers, Scott

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Those kit wire wheels look unusually nice. What's the outside diameter of the rims? They may be a good substitute for the somewhat klunky wires on the 1/16 Jaguar SS 100.

I will have to check....will get back to you later

They are plastic moulded by the way

We had a discussion on another thread about making metal spokes, I will try to find it

ahh here it is, Harry P's gorgeous 1928 Mercedes build thread, wheel construction on pg 1

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94816&page=1

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Maybe I will skip forward a bit and show what I did to my wheels now

I have a particle sand blaster at work I use to clean the internals of dental crowns etc.

Decided to try and strip the hand painted wheels with it so as to not damage the spokes.

Of all the work that was done before I got the kit, I think the spoke painting was actually fairly decent...but hopefully I can maker them even better

Inside the blaster

IMG_1672.jpg

Halfway done

IMG_1673.jpg

Finished and mounted

IMG_1677.jpg

The sandblaster leaves a nice rough matt surface that I can now spray and I hope to get good clean spokes

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Haven't posted much progress, so let's have a peek at the engine

Block colour to match body paint all Tamiya

IMG_1697.jpg

Heat wrap on exhaust is painted hockey tape for a Canadian flavor

IMG_1696.jpg

Trying to make some Weber carbs....this is try #3 with brass and aluminum tubing and plastic

IMG_1847.jpg

One of the members here was a wealth of MG info in the lost thread

I have an MGTC restoration book he suggested on route from Amazon for Christmas

Thanks for looking

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Those kit wire wheels look unusually nice. What's the outside diameter of the rims? They may be a good substitute for the somewhat klunky wires on the 1/16 Jaguar SS 100.

Sorry Jordan, I forgot to post the measurements

The wheels+tires have a 45mm diameter

imagejpg1-1.jpg

The spoke wheels are 30 mm diameter rim to rim with a 1mm flange for the wheel to seat

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Scott,

Here's some workstand ideas. Custom make them and you're actually saving time and effort. The Rolls stands came from the bright guys at Model Motorcars:

003Medium_zps0d111b7f.jpg

P9170001Medium_zpsf1a1f22e.jpg

A plastic magazine rack can work too if you're lucky for fit. I did much of the engine and rear suspension on this and it's much easier than flipping it top to bottom all the time:
P8Medium_zps7a4b2dd4.jpg

Works right side up or down:

PA310010Small_zps5b3659d7.jpg

I mounted the carbs and made a throttle linkage, some electrical bits also

Don't like the chalky,sloppy look of the chrome paint on the carbs....Maybe the paint reacted to the aluminum?

Thinking of going to the office and sandblasting them back to bare metal

imagejpg1-2.jpg

I need to get the paint on the body, but is so humid and wet out here

Might have to spray in the basement

So much babble, so little progress

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Loving it Cato, thanks

Also, my Pocher shipped today

I have a 1/12 1930 Bentley, and 1/16 Duesenberg, Mustang and 427 Cobra coming

Son gave me a 1/16 300SL Gullwing for Christmas

Gonna a be a bit busy soon...like forever

What brand is the Gullwing kit? I can send you massive digital reference, plus my observations on the different needs of different kits.

And now for something completely different....The Interior

I decided to try covering the seats with real leather and some fabric for carpet

Pile of leather scraps from Tandy Leather I think

imagejpg1-3.jpg

All of it is way too thick so I have skived off the back with a razor tool

imagejpg2-3.jpg

The 'carpet' is an Ultrasuede material, wish it was a shade or two darker for some contrast

Everything was cemented with contact cement

imagejpg3-2.jpg

Looks a little rough around the edges, but those edges will never be seen.

The shifter and e brake have a leather boot added to their base

imagejpg2-4.jpg

imagejpg1-4.jpg

I burnished the lines into the seats with a small wood dowel before the cement was set

I will add thread as piping around the edges. The spool is Havana Brown Tiger thread, one of the best in the world for hand stitching leather

imagejpg1-5.jpg

I was going to make some darker floor mats, but in test fitting I couldn't see the floor so as a wise man says, why waste time on things you won't ever see

Feel like I actually made a bit of progress today while stalling on the engine compartment and paint

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Ok Skip I am blaming you on this one......bought the Minicraft 1/16 Jag yesterday

Actually had it book marked on E bay for a while and it went on sale so........

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Ok Skip I am blaming you on this one......bought the Minicraft 1/16 Jag yesterday

Actually had it book marked on E bay for a while and it went on sale so........

In which case I recommend this book. You may find it cheaper on eBay.

http://www.amazon.com/Jaguar-SS90-SS100-Super-Profile/dp/0854293728/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420257993&sr=1-1&keywords=jaguar+ss+100

Progress report...a slight bit
The last weekend of Christmas Holidays and I got the leather on door panels, front panel opened up and the electrical box wired and glued
imagejpg2-6.jpg

oops, I opened up the front panel in front of the grill...it is stamped metal on the real car and not open....more work to close up again Arrrggg

I also made twin fuel pumps for the Holly carbs, still have to seat and wire them. The black styrene is the original, mine are brass, aluminum and styrene

imagejpg1-7.jpg
imagejpg3-3.jpg
Amazing variation in these cars from year to year and I am taking artistic license for sure with this build by moving the electrics to the left and pumps to the right side closer to the carbs

Dry fit of body, interior and engine
imagejpg1-8.jpg
I think dashboard is next, then try and paint this beast
Actually getting kind of sick of the build, not coming out as clean as I hoped for....my skill set issues and frustration
So long for now

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

What you have looks good so far. You need to stick it out and finish it. You will learn what works and doesn't work and your next build will be better. For the things you feel didn't work well try a different approach on the hext buildl

What you have looks good so far. You need to stick it out and finish it. You will learn what works and doesn't work and your next build will be better. For the things you feel didn't work well try a different approach on the hext buildl

Thanks Bob, I will finish.

I have many other projects and ideas floating around in my head, but limited time.

So yes, I am focusing on this one kit and will not start another until I am done.

Thanks for the kind words and support, much appreciated

Scott

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Researching the braking system to get some sort of simulated tubing for it...the master cylinder is in the floor well of the cab, just behind the foot pedals!

Have a couple diagrams for the routing of the braking system hoses.....not trying for exact replica, just the flavour of it

IMG_6159-L.jpg

I have a four day weekend coming up, so planning on lots of red paint on the body and mating the it to the chassis.

Worked to cover my front panel screw up and have closed the openings backup

Hoping to get this sucker buttoned up by the end of the month

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Ahhhhhhhh air brush brain fart last night.
I had the pressure at 40psi spraying red Tamiya on red.
Nothing stuck, just blew the paint around. Wet sanded and will retry again. Stupido

Did some brake lines, E-brake lines, floor pan in as well...looks kinda cool. Not going to wire up much more and clearly I need to refresh my airbrush skills

imagejpg1-10.jpg

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Oh shooooooot, having a bad airbrush day...not the machine or paint it is me!

Diluted the Tamiya acrylic with something other thanX-20 Dumb

My air pressure is all over the place

Nothing sticking, runs and wasted time

Shut it down, clear off and rattle can painted it Tamiya Red in 30 sec

See if it sticks now. God I am a moron, broke every rule for airbrushing, what should I expect

Edited by Twokidsnosleep