Model Cars Magazine Forum

In Honor Of The "Chezoom" release...

funhouse1

...post your AMT AWB/Funnies from the series!

I have always loved the '64 to '67 period in drag racing when S/S and A/FX cars were evolving in to 'glass bodied floppers. Consequently, my favorite 'shelf' models of all time are contained in this series from AMT, many of which are available for us to build again without costing us an arm and a leg. When I first got back in to modeling these kits were fetching three figures, but thanks to first the Model King and now Round Two, the kits became available to builders again and I am pleasantly surprised to see that the "Chezoom" Corvair has been added to the list. One of my biggest model-related regrets ever was not paying $35 for a very restorable example of the "Time Machine" Chevelle sometime in the early 90's. I understand that a reissue of that car is unlikely due to the body being converted to a dirt track racer, but I'm hoping the Olds roadster in the series might resurface at some point.

Detail and accuracy? Not so much, but these funky little kits are dead simple and, aside from figuring out how to mount the body on the chassis, fun to build. I know most of you have built at least one of these and I would love to see them!

Here's mine:

de4e2aa4_md.jpg

a2e51d87fa_md.jpg

e2c21389d6_md.jpg

4e2080b9e3_md.jpg

Good looking builds Jack and Jesse!

I have built one of those Novas years ago when I was younger and the build turned out nowhere near today's standards. It was a lot of fun though and I'm planning on building another one at some point when I find a kit and time to build it.

P9280124.jpg

I just got my Chevoom corvair today at my LHS. plans to build one later, but have a couple of kits on the go to get to first. anyhow, I will post my awb nova and falcon on this thread later, but they can be seen in drag and under glass, from back about a year ago..the ace.... ;)

I really like those AWB kits. Simple and quick builders that look pretty cool when done.

Agree. My main gripe with these kits is that the wheelbase is TOO short. Sometime soon I hope to add about 6 scale inches or so back into the wheelbase of one of the Chevy IIs, and take pics of the process. If that works, I'll also do it on a glue bomb Chevelle I want to try to restore.

Here's a few I have built over the years.

Wow! What a collection! BTW based on other pics here, it looks like the Nova and Falcon got their windshield wipers back during the Street Freaks era of these kits. Too bad - I have all the ones that Model King re-released, and I want to build several, but I am not in the mood to remove the wipers - a lot of work and a good chance of messing things up. Chris

MagicMustang: That is the first time I've seen that Edsel kit built! It looks great. I wish I had one of those on my shelf... Well, maybe someday. :rolleyes: Didn't even remember that the '65 Chevelle even existed either. Great looking models!

Well, the Edsel is a little modified. I added some stock parts to the body and the AWB lifting chassis and tin are from the reissued Cyclone AWB kit. I thought they made it look much better. Then the leftover Cyclone body I modified back to stock wheelbase, used a grill from a Fireball 500 Barracuda, added a Polar Lights funny car chassis and tin. Installed Slixx decals and made it into a true Nicholson Eliminator II '67 Cyclone funny car. See pics.

post-13715-0-61758300-1419943694_thumb.j

post-13715-0-65506500-1419943708_thumb.j

Edited by magicmustang

None of these kits ever had the windshield wiper detail removed, then put back on. The '67 Cyclone and '63 Tempest have the wiper detail removed (as well as other emblems and script), and the F-85 roadster body has everything removed including panel lines. The Falcon, Mustang fastback, Barracuda, Nova, Barracuda, Chevelle, and Edsel bodies have always had the molded-in wiper detail. The Modified Stocker Chevelle did have the wiper detail removed, but the funny car version of that body still had it. It's even illustrated in the box art.

• 2 weeks later...

Did this one many years ago and is the only one of these kits I have finished to date. And will definitly pick up a couple of the Chezoom Corvairs just for grins

I really like the kit, simple but looks pretty cool in the dispaly case.

Its Testors color by Boyd color ( no idea the name of it ) . basic spark plug wiring and some machined injector stacks to replace the awful kit pieces . Otherwise it's box stock

Edited by gtx6970