Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Model T series

Danno

Reminds me of some aftermarket Model T hubcaps from several years ago.The script on the cap was done in the same style as the original part but instead of "Ford" it said "Fool".

Yeah, those "FOOL" aftermarket hubcaps for Model T's and Model A's back in the 1960's were aggravating. Those happened simply because Ford Motor Company back in the 50's and early 60's simply refused to authorize or even license anything in a reproduction part that carried the Ford script.

Art

ICM has really improved their product line in all scales in a very short time. I just purchased the 1/24th Mercedes G4 and I'm very very impressed.

Ukrainians are a resilient people after being the main battleground of Europe for a long period of WW2. I'm pretty sure a civil uprising against an unpopular leadership won't keep them down for long.

Hopefully everyone keeps safe.

Edited by doggie427

If the Model T is anything close to the Cabriolet I will have to have one (or two --- or----)!!!

I have the Cabriolet and it is just a very fine kit.

Hint on the Cabriolet --- if you want to get one get the up-top version as it has the parts for the boot (open top build) in the kit as well so you get the best of both !!!

Very nice kit --- pricey but worth it --- kind of in the class of the Galaxie products...

Bill, if the Model T kits are near Galaxy quality, I'm ok with paying more . Besides, I do a LOT of period diorama work. These early Ford cars are a welcome sight for people like myself who are constantly on the look out for anything that will fit into the early 20th century ..............

I cannot wait! I have all sorts of things I can do with these! The hubcaps are so small on these it would be hard to imagine a legible logo on them. We;lll see. It does seem a bit odd that the touring would be green for the box art. I would have thought bluse like most of them were from the factory. Hmmmm.....

Edited by Eric Macleod

I cannot wait! I have all sorts of things I can do with these! The hubcaps are so small on these it would be hard to imagine a legible logo on them. We;lll see. It does seem a bit odd that the touring would be green for the box art. I would have thought bluse like most of them were from the factory. Hmmmm.....

Depends on what car they used for their "model". However, in the first years of production from 1908 to 1913, the Model T was not available in black but rather only grey, green, blue, and red. Green was available for the touring cars, town cars, coupes, and Landaulets. Grey was only available for the town cars, and red only for the touring cars. By 1912, all cars were being painted midnight blue with black fenders. It was only in 1914 that the "any color so long as it is black" policy was finally implemented. It is often stated that Ford suggested the use of black from 1914 to 1926 due to the cheap cost and durability of black paint. During the lifetime production of the Model T, over 30 different types of black paint were used on various parts of the car.These were formulated to satisfy the different means of applying the paint to the various parts, and had distinct drying times, depending on the part, paint, and method of drying.

Model Ts were also produced 'round the world in Buenos Aires, Argentina; Geelong, Australia; Sao Bernardo de Campo, Brazil; Toronto; Walkerville, Ontario; Copenhagen, Denmark; Manchester, England; Berlin, Germany; Cork Ireland; Cadiz, Spain. those places may have added or deleted a color choice as well.

Edited by lordairgtar

Clearly you know a bit about early Fords. They are indeed very confusing. I struggled with color choices when I restored the first two of mine (the 1:1 cars) I noticed that the "1912" ICM is using for box art does not look a lot like most '12's I have seen. It looks more like a '13 or perhaps a '14 to me.

If the ICM Gods smile on us and this series comes to fruition, be cautious about reference sources. The Collins and Clymer books are pretty well illustrated but unfortunately full of incorrect and misleading information. Conversely. the Lindsay and McCaulley books are excellent, with the latter mostly using original cars as references.

Interestingly, I was at the last Hershey meet while Bruce McCaulley was still alive and we got talking about Model T colors. He happened upon an original stash of paint from 1926-27. There was phoenix brown, gunmetal blue, straw (cream), Windsor maroon, and channel green. Mixed up thoroughly, thinned and applied to primed metal every single color was now....black! Original Ford paint apparently does not have a good shelf life!

E-

Clearly you know a bit about early Fords. They are indeed very confusing. I struggled with color choices when I restored the first two of mine (the 1:1 cars) I noticed that the "1912" ICM is using for box art does not look a lot like most '12's I have seen. It looks more like a '13 or perhaps a '14 to me.

If the ICM Gods smile on us and this series comes to fruition, be cautious about reference sources. The Collins and Clymer books are pretty well illustrated but unfortunately full of incorrect and misleading information. Conversely. the Lindsay and McCaulley books are excellent, with the latter mostly using original cars as references.

Interestingly, I was at the last Hershey meet while Bruce McCaulley was still alive and we got talking about Model T colors. He happened upon an original stash of paint from 1926-27. There was phoenix brown, gunmetal blue, straw (cream), Windsor maroon, and channel green. Mixed up thoroughly, thinned and applied to primed metal every single color was now....black! Original Ford paint apparently does not have a good shelf life!

E-

Wow, I should say not. Nitrocelluose can be somewhat unstable, but for it to actually change color? :blink:

Isn't Channel Green the color that's almost, if not totally impossible to get correct today?

I remember reading someplace that one of the late T colors cannot be replicated accurately at any cost or with any paint system.

Charlie Larkin

In answer to the question about the Ford name not being on these any where,it really is a licenseing issue at this point.

To answer (in my humble opinion)the question about do any of us actually build the kits we buy,most kits are raw material.Unless you are either a kit collector or a box stock only builder most kits are intended as raw material to be built as the builder sees fit.If they were not kit would only include parts for dead stock showroom versions.

That question reminds me of a button I have that states"anyone can collect old kits,but it takes a real man to cut one up".Depends on your personal preference and point of view.

Edited by misterNNL

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know about the rest of you guys, but the first thing crossed my mind when I saw that blue one was.............

:P

Joe, the song you linked to from YouTube is not one of Jan and Dean's better efforts. Never heard this one before. And if I never it again that will be OK. At the same time I'm glad you posted it.

R. Scott

>Joe, the song you linked to from YouTube is not one of Jan and Dean's better efforts. Never heard this one before.

It was one of their biggest (and they only had a few) hits as I recall. all over the radio in probably like 63 or so.

but I have a separate question, and that is, what exactly is the attraction here, with the Model T kits I mean? is this something that is not otherwise available, like maybe pure stock or a special body variation? Or is it more to see if maybe it will be more accurate than what is available (from AMT at least)?

hopefully they will pull through this latest business over there and be able to stay in production with worldwide distribution because I myself would like to examine one of these kits though I haven't a clue what I would do with it.

thanks!

jb

but I have a separate question, and that is, what exactly is the attraction here, with the Model T kits I mean? is this something that is not otherwise available, like maybe pure stock or a special body variation? Or is it more to see if maybe it will be more accurate than what is available (from AMT at least)?

The AMT kits are much later T's, nothing like these have ever been kitted in 1/24 scale

The AMT kits are much later T's, nothing like these have ever been kitted in 1/24 scale

To fill it out more completely:

In 1/25 scale, there have been only a handful of Model T Ford kits:

Tonka Toys produced a line of "Diorama" kits, two of which were keyed around a 1913 Model T Ford touring car, which was curbside only. That car is the only "Brass Era" stock Model T ever done in 1/25 scale to this point in time, and they are pretty hard to find anymore.

Aurora produced a 1922 Model T kit, decades ago, never reissued by anyone since the early 1960's.

AMT did a pair of 1923 Model T's in the mid-70's, a Depot Hack (woodie station wagon in other words), and a C-cab 1/2 ton delivery van. And of course, AMT produced the legendary 1925 Double T Kit, which has been reissued many times, both as a double kit, and as singer version kits as well. AMT also produced a 1927 Model T Touriing, which keeps coming back into production.

Art

thanks Art, see I thought by "later", craig meant like 27 vs 23 or so. now I see this is way earlier, 1912, though I do not know my model Ts well enough to know the differences. but if there are body variations then I could see this being a very welcome addition to the model world and probably adapted to a wide range of uses from stock to dragster. and I can see some drastic variations (with the roadster I mean), like, pretty obviously, where is the cowl???

jb

Edited by jbwelda

thanks Art, see I thought by "later", craig meant like 27 vs 23 or so. now I see this is way earlier, 1912, though I do not know my model Ts well enough to know the differences. but if there are body variations then I could see this being a very welcome addition to the model world and probably adapted to a wide range of uses from stock to dragster. and I can see some drastic variations (with the roadster I mean), like, pretty obviously, where is the cowl???

jb

The earliest Model T's, along with most early cars, really didn't have any cowling, just a wooden "firewall" (more correctly referred to by it's horse-drawn carriage name "Dash Board" (which was there to keep mud and horse manure from being "dashed" up into the lap of the driver and his passenger!). It wasn't until 1914-15 that the Model T Ford got a formed, sheet metal cowling between that "dashboard" and a still-wooden firewall benind the engine.

Art