Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the difference in these two paints?

I've got a can of MM 28138 white lacquer primer and a can of MM 2961 Super fine white lacquer primer. What's the difference in these two primers. Is one preferred over the other?

Yes there is a difference, well there is with Tamiya regular and fine primer, the fine primer goes on so much smoother then the regular primer , get a couple of plastic spoons a spray one with each, then after it dries feel them, and you will notice the difference

Yep! Pigment size. Paints/primers are pigments suspended in carriers and solvents, to put it simply. Pigment size does vary from paint to paint, and is often different for specific uses. This is why some craft acrylics airbrush fantastic (they have nice small pigment) and some are coarse no matter what you do (big rough...read:cheap and unrefined...pigment).

Like Jonathan said, spray both and you'll feel it. With the fine, you will likely still want to knock the surface down (just a light buff at least, which is completely normal) and with the super fine you may find it's ready to accept the color coats as sprayed. I usually find the super fine to be overkill for model cars, but I can see where it would help immensely with smaller scales and detail that's very easily lost in paint, like small figures for example.