Model Cars Magazine Forum

A simple diorama for a beginner

chunkypeanutbutter

first of all function ...do you want a as much detailed diorama , or rather a dio to use for taking pictures of your modelcars / builds ?

second size .. where will you put it when its finished , you want to make it as big as possible for the space you have for it .. so like if you have a display cabinet messure the shelf size and make a base box that fits in there ... (i kind of broke this rule myself with the dio i am building at this moment)

simplest way to start is to take a nice stirdy wood base plate , cut to the right size .. for a garage build 3 walls on / around that ...maybe before putting up walls you can saw open holes for a door / windows .. naturals light falling through those makes a dio more realistic

you want the walls thin but stirdy , too flimsy wont work , like the walls and floor are the canvas you will work on

as for concrete floors you will be amazed what a matt grey paint base will do after some washes and even the use of bondo to create a more worn look .... from the moment you have your base the rest is really up to your imagination .. you pick a style > modern , old ... shiney or more used ...

but after those choises its like what your imagination can come up with :) lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dont use popsicle sticks, OH, how I wanted to see someone say that. So many fences, so out of scale. Macaroni ? never saw that yet. Ok back to diorama ideas. Keep it simple, you have wood you say. I suggest a billboard, like the ones on the side of the road, pose a cop car behind it or a sign truck in front.

Cheers Eh!