Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freightliner COE SD in-progress

Hi Guys,

Here are a few pictures of my WIP Freightliner SD cabover. It's being built as a former fleet truck that was bought for agriculture/farm use. Colors will be Almond (cab) and red (frame/drive train). Modifications include converting to single exhaust, filling the recessed steps below the doors and adding brass rod steps, steer wheels from the Dodge L-700 kit, and drive wheels from the IMC flatbed (the trailer will be a shortbed single axle type). I also added some brass c-channel steps on the front bumper and brass rod grab handles below the windshield wipers. Tim was kind enough to send a rooftop a/c unit so we'll some creature comfort. Been a long time since I built a truck so hopefully it will be somewhat close to the high standards I see posted here on a consistent basis.

001.jpg

002-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Albert

Edited by Albert Moore

Albert,

That little Freightliner looks great. I really think these little work horses are undervalued and under represented. They don't have the chrome bits and the prestige that goes with a 379 Pete or a Kenworth. Also drivers can probably earn more on long haul operations. Probably the sort of truck that many drivers started their careers in (Sort of an apprentice piece). The responsibility on the drivers shoulders of any kind of heavy truck is immense. It is a Proffessional Job and its hard work. I remember my Driving Instructor telling me that when you pass your test in a truck you have tremendous responsibility. When you become a Proffessional Driver you not only have to look out for yourself but you have to look out for other road users, because they don't know how to look after themselves and they are going to do "strange things". Learning to drive a truck was the hardest thing I have ever done!! I have tremendous respect for all truck drivers who pound the highways all day every day irrespective whether they drive a little day cab truck or a Top of the Range long haul truck.

I look forward to seeing this truck complete and seeing the Photo's of the truck show. Good Luck with both.

PS Isn't St Ignace MI where Tim lives?

Jim

The Mackinac Bridge is just 2 miles from downtown St.Ignace. The truckshow parade of lights traveled through St.Ignace, then across the Mackinac Bridge through Mackinaw City then back north across The Bridge then back through St.Ignace.

St.Ignace is on the northside, thus in the UP (Upper Peninsula).

Speaking of The Bridge, back in the mid '80s when I managed our local radio station myself and a DJ did a live broadcast from the top of the south tower - 550 feet above Lake Michigan/Huron.

Tim

Edited by mackinac359