Model Cars Magazine Forum

My variations on the Rat Roadster

squirrel886

Here you go Bernard: ... Notch for the gas tank is filled, as is the detent for the license plate.

Doesn't appear to be half as much work as I had supposed. Far less filler and plastic involved... (and instant rolled pan, too). Nice job! B) Looks like the deck lid from the 5-window needs some adjustment. Interesting, I hadn't checked that fit out.

Both cars are progressing nicely. The gunmetal metallic looks first rate on the highboy.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Bernard, I squared off the corner of the notch instead of leaving it rounded that way the strip styrene would fit w/ minimal fitting. I laid tape across the edge of the detent and slowly built up the filler. Its still rough and I applied another layer of filler across the whole edge. I also filled in the back side to blend it all together also. The deck lid actually fits better than what is pictured. I'm thinking about hinging it to show the frame/suspension detail underneath, maybe. If you're coming down for the NNL I'll have it w/ me if its not finished.

• 3 months later...

That lowboy interior is a real how-to on doing it right when revamping the inside panels for a channeled car. The result will look crisp and clean and be a real improvement over the overdone, over-elaborate, over-stylized, over..., well just plain over, Rat Roaster interior. I remain frustrated by the fact that the only current issue of a Revell Deuce roadster is this car, of all things. But I have my stash of cheaply purchased old-series roadsters now so I'll stop bellyaching. And, as I mentioned earlier, your work shows that there's less melodrama in straightening the Rat Roaster out than one might suppose. Nice stuff! Looking forward to more, more, more... B)

You're welcome Dale!

Thanks Bernard. I've been procrastinating, hoping, fingers crossed, that someone, would have released a replacement interior for the Rat Roaster by now. Its pretty much a single use kit w/ basically the only variable being a different colored interior. Unless you have a serious parts and styrene stash. But the powerplant and wheels are useful elsewhere. I did this a week or so ago. Got tired of looking at it, and that's the result after an hour of cutting, filing, and sanding. I may try it again, but a different pattern, on the other kit.

• 2 weeks later...