Model Cars Magazine Forum

Minor Nuremberg 2013 Update: Tamiya full kit of 1/12 Porsche Carrera GT

Ghostmech

Sigh. Why can't Tamiya do a 1/12 Gullwing or 275 GTB?

I appears they are taking their 1/12 diecast, semi-assembled models and turning them into full builder kits. Makes perfect sense (and cents) since they already have most of the work done for them and just need to adjust things to do the bodies in plastic along with other misc parts.

The good news is that those who wanted their diecast Ferrari F-50 and GTO's as full builder kits may find them in our not-too-distant future. :)

OK, not a kit, but Premium ClassiXXs (sic) just released a 1/12 scale Gullwing.

Yes, I've seen it. The best model ever issued on the Gullwing. For what it is it's an amazingly reasonable price, but too many bucks for me.

Edited by sjordan2

Yes, I've seen it. The best model ever issued on the Gullwing. For what it is it's an amazingly reasonable price, but too many bucks for me.

It costs 60% of the Tamiya Porsche kit. Not a small amount no matter how you look at it, but still.

And you have to factor in the often underestimated cost of building such a kit.

At an average of about $360, I would have snapped this up in an instant in better days. But I have an untold investment of time and money in researching and preparing to build such a kit. You have no idea - we're talking four figures. I'll be going with a mating of the 1/16 Italeri and Minicraft kits to build to my preferences.

Edited by sjordan2

Just got the Enzo as an early Xmas present from my wife (can't have it until Xmas though).

While this is interesting, and is appealing....don't know if the price is that appealing. The Enzo was a chunk of change, and this one more? Might be a licensing thing...but still....it is alot more than the Enzo was.

If it was the 288 GTO now....might be a different story!

Yeah me too, I am a Ferrari hound anyway. While I do like the Porsche, I have it in 1/24. Yes in 1/12 it would be impressive, but doesn't strike me as much as if the 288 was released.

The F-40....meh...I could take it or leave it, I have the Testors/Fujimi version, yeah the Tamiya one will probably go together better, maybe a bit more detailed....

Now if Trumpeter would only released the Ferrari in the background of the GT-40 box art!

• 2 months later...