Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Joe... Thanks buddy... Yeah I am thinking I need to get on some of the plumbing of the engine. But also have to design up a few more parts for the funny car too.

Bob... Thanks. I know time is ticking away until DSC and GSL next year but I would like to have it done for the NNL West.. To be honest the Stagecoach isn't calling my name at the moment. I will show you guys something here in a few that I have been tinkering on to do something completely different

Well for a change of pace I decided to do some work on my CAD program and practice drawing up a dragster frame. So here is what I have been working on and I think I have found a few different ways to get the results I wanted. Originally I was going to draw it all in a 3D sketch mode but decided to combine some 2D sketches on different drawing planes, I had to have some differnt planes at specific angles to achieve what I wante and I also combined with a 3D sketch mode.. Then I used what is called a Weldment to add all of the tubing. Here is what I have so far. I am pretty darn happy with the results. Been a nice break and has taken me longer than expected but it's worth the practice It still needs a few more items on this chassis though.

Bob... Thanks... I am looking forward to both of those shows. I just hope I have new stuff done in time because if I don't I probably won't end up going.  Thanks on the dragster.

Tim... thank you so much my friend. That was just a practice chassis to figure out how I was going to model the chassis. Originally I was going to do a completed 3D sketch in my software but I ended up with 2D and 3D sketches along with adding multiple planes to achieve what I needed to. I created the 3D model from the welders feature.  I will adventually have another thread for that dragster once I get the correct chassis designed up but probay won't be for a while.

Jason... no I haven't made my parts available yet. I still have some bugs to work thru on them.

Dave... thank you very much.

Hello Everyone.. I wanted to show what I have been working on the past 2 nights. I have wanted to start getting some of the plumbing done on the engine and well I figured I would utilize the 3D models to create my Injector lines. From the Models I will create a 2D drawing that I will be used as templates to bend the lines from. I Figured it would better to do it this way than to bend multiple pieces trying to get the spacing correct considering I will be using steel piano wire or possibly guitar string. I am debating which would be better, my only concern with the piano wire is that it has the possibly to corrode over time where as if I used a nickle coated guitar string It shouldn't. Anyway here are a few shots of the 3D model.....

Joe... Thanks man. That is cool you have a file with pics like that. I sorta have the same with reference pics...lol

Dave... Thanks.

Henry...  Thank you but I have already got Robert over at RB Motion that made me a variation off his detail nuts because I needed them wider than what they were. My Personal preference is RB Motion fittings for my A/N Fittings source.

Dave.... Thank you very much!! I just need to get myself to sit in front of my bench and I will get work done. Just the Desire hasn't been there lately to do anything.

Tim... Thanks for the kind words. Let me know what you need and I will be more than happy to help ya. ;):D

Bob... Thank you very much. So the CAD program I use and pretty much most CAD systems are parametric... which meaning what is modeled in 3D you can bring into a 2D drawing (Blueprint) and when you make an update to the model the respective changes show up on the Drawing. Here is a pic of a drawing of the Blower to show you different views. You will see the Isometric view which is the same as I showed above and then you will see the other labeled views and they were from inserting the views of the model into the drawing. Hopefully that makes sense. Here is a pic of the Drawing I saved out:

Henry... Thanks.

Michael... To answer your question. on the back of the Injector hat there is threaded hole and Also in the Fuel Distribution block there is counter bore hole for a Socket Head Cap Screw that mounts the distribution block to the injector hat. Here are a few pics of different style injector hats to show you. You should be able to see the mount holes on the first couple of pics.

Things could easily be scaled to 1/25.

Bob... you are welcome. It's something that the program does which is pretty cool.

Thanks Chris!

Also, the pics are just excellent, a true reference for this area.  Just so happens I'm doing a fuel block like you show, many thanks.

By the way, the "7mm" printed on the plug wires should really end the discussion of model car engine plug wires. 

Great pics.

mike, why would the "7mm" end any  discussion on model car engine plug wires?

Michael if you don't mind,  I have a personal problem otherwise.

Dave, my opinion is that still lots of guys get the scale wrong with the size of plug wires on scale models.  Be them 1:25 or otherwise.

Some appear to be about the size of lawn and garden hoses and look accordingly awkward and my opinion ridiculous.

I should have stated my entry in a more clear manner.

7mm may be debatable, some are 8mm and others are somewhat larger.  Just a scale garden hose variety is way off scale. 

Greetings.