Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat Rod and Spare parts build!

'08SEAL

ok got a question for al of you....I am trying to make my own firewall for this build. I got the shape drawn out and transferred it to some plastic (clear packaging) and have glued it to the body 2 times already using Testor's glue in red tube...it sticks good and then after a few hours (this last time was overnight) it just pops right off. What kind of glue do I need to use so that it will stick? I am wanting to use the clear plastic to resemble a plexiglass firewall. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

None of the above. Anything that will stick the transparent plastic will also etch into it, making it cloudy. That leaves araldite and water based PCV, of which there is one (super clear??) made for sticking in headlights and windows.

You would be better off if you could find some other way to hold the firewall in - perhaps captive in a slot, or some small pins used as rivets or something like that.

thanks for the reply....I have scratched the clear firewall idea...not that good of scratch builder..lol...but i do still need to find something to glue the plastic on. It is the only material I have that I can use. I plan on covering it in BMF after installing it so hazing/etching doesn't really matter. Will be going out of town this weekend so I can try and find some other type of glue. Thanks

thanks for the reply....I have scratched the clear firewall idea...not that good of scratch builder..lol...but i do still need to find something to glue the plastic on. It is the only material I have that I can use. I plan on covering it in BMF after installing it so hazing/etching doesn't really matter. Will be going out of town this weekend so I can try and find some other type of glue. Thanks

If you need to find other glue, you may as well put that money to other plastic, and get yourself a sheet of evergreen styrene

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Tom,Your build reminds me of something I built a 1 1/2 years ago on another forum.It was a parts bin car.Which started as a '29 Ford Roadster Pickup and engine from a 25th anniversary Countach.It isn't perfect but I like how it turned out.Here is a link to it.

Also, I might also join in the fun,in a week or so.

http://www.briansmodelcars.com/projects/project/4615

thought about it, but trying to stay somewhat true to the guidelines of this build...using only stuff I have around the house. Will try a glue I got from the lumber yard, tonight sometime and see how it goes. thanks again

I think you are being too literal here. I think spare parts refers to spare "model" parts. Even if it is a "spare parts" build, you still need to use the proper tools to get he job done right. No one expects you to try to built this out of Tupperware and dried toothpaste. So instead of fighting with incompatable materials/glues, just get a sheet of styrene and some gap filling CA glue at the hobby store.

I finally came up with my project for this CBP this afternoon while working on my "Little Old Lady From Pasadena" '64 Dodge 330 for the "Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music" CBP. It seems that I have a kitbashed Jo-Han 1960 Fury station wagon entered in the "Cannonball Run" CBP that will have the chassis and running gear from an AMT '57 Chrysler 300-C. Lightbulb moment: I know what I can do with the leftovers from those two! Since they would be headed straight for the patrs box anyhow, why not combine the two - creatively, of course. Out came the razor saw and off came most of the 300's roof, deck lid, and tulip panel. Yep, she's gonna be a '57 Chrysler Ute! I plan to use the rear part of the roof in a somewhat more upright position as the rear of the cab and scratchbuild the bed. I'll get different rolling stock from the parts box, and possibly a better engine than the lump from the Jo-Han Plymouth too.

I've started! It is both a rat rod AND a spare parts build. I've finally built enough stuff to have spare parts! These bits are from the dual Model-T vintage/Drag Coupe kit, and as I have already made two cars using that kit, whatever is left over is fair game!

P1000885-vi.jpg

I'm off and running on my Chrysler "Ute". They say "measure twice and cut once"? My take on this one was "measure once, grind off a little, measure again, take off a little more, measure AGAIN and sand it down a tad more... " Here's the first body mock-up. I've ground down the quarter panels beside where the rear of the decklid went to reposition it in a more upright position, but I'll still have to modify the rear of the decklid to fit the hole...

DSCN6623.jpg

I've been thinking about going curbside with this one. The engine bay "sheetmetal" I that removed from my Jo-Han Fury wagon got pretty tattered, and I don't know if I can salvage enough of it to be of any use.

Update on my Chrysler Ute. It now has a name - it's a fictitious, long-lost Chrysler prototype called "The Westerner". I made some major progress on it over the last few evenings, so here's where it stands at this moment. The roof is pretty much laid up, with only some filling and contouring left to go. The basic bed is in place, but I haven't opened up the sides where the wheel wells will be yet. I want to make sure of the exact location before I go cutting anything! I've even made up a wooden bed floor for it, which still needs sanding. The photo shows the wood floor laid in place with a couple of wheel houses cut off of the chassis of what I think was an AMT '64 Impala from my parts box and smoothed out for use out in the open. Like the wood deck, they're just sitting loose to give an idea of what it will look like once it's completed:

DSCN6626.jpg

I've pretty much resigned myself to sealing up the back of the truck. There's no practical way to hinge a tailgate with that much horizontal curvature at it's base. I could reshape it so that it runs straight across, but 1) It wouldn't look nearly as cool and, 2) I'd have to reshape the bumper as well... That idea is strictly a non-starter!

I've pretty much resigned myself to sealing up the back of the truck. There's no practical way to hinge a tailgate with that much horizontal curvature at it's base. I could reshape it so that it runs straight across, but 1) It wouldn't look nearly as cool and, 2) I'd have to reshape the bumper as well... That idea is strictly a non-starter!

It would have to be a compound hinge, one that lifted the bottom while moving the top back - not unlike old garage doors.

And onto my build:

This has been an interesting modeling session - trying to give the driver somewhere to sit, and the engine somewhere to fit has resulted in the body getting shoved well back.

P1000909-vi.jpg

P1000910-vi.jpg

Edited by otherunicorn

It would have to be a compound hinge, one that lifted the bottom while moving the top back - not unlike old garage doors.

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure it has the cutlines, but there's NO WAY I'm going to try to fab up a set of compound hinges for it! I'll just say the actual vehicle had 'em and call it good. ;)

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure it has the cutlines, but there's NO WAY I'm going to try to fab up a set of compound hinges for it! I'll just say the actual vehicle had 'em and call it good. ;)

Our doors don't open. Usually our trunks don't open. Sounds fine to me!

Jim, not to sound stupid, but couldn't you use the trunk lid as a starting point? Cut it off just behind the lock, fab a inner wall which comes straight down to the bed. It would be very thick in scale, but you could say that's where the compound hinges hide!

Cool concept too.

G

Edited by Agent G

Jim, not to sound stupid, but couldn't you use the trunk lid as a starting point? Cut it off just behind the lock, fab a inner wall which comes straight down to the bed. It would be very thick in scale, but you could say that's where the compound hinges hide!

Cool concept too.

G

That's just what I'm doing! I changed it's angle a smidge so that it's more upright, but it still uses the majority of the vertical rear section of the decklid. I've had to add some plastic to the bottom and sides of it to raise it into it's new position and still have it look right. I also added some to the leading edge of the horizontal cut where I sliced it off the top of the decklid so that I could reshape it to a straighter line without losing any height. I want the inner panel of the tailgate to be flat so that it's usable as an extension of the bed floor when open as you would any other pickup tailgate. I'm even going to say that it has a top-hinged panel that the license plate mounts to so that the plate is visible when driving with the tailgate open! Now I just have to remember to include some sort of handle or button to allow the 'driver' to open the darn thing!

I read through the whole 4 pages and I think I'm still a little confused. I was planning on building a rat rod from my 32 ford kit but only use the parts from that box. I only have 4 kits total so it's pretty slim pickings, I just use what I got. This will be my first rat rod, first extreme mod build (chopping, z'ing, scratch building, etc), and first community build.

So with that said, if I'm allowed to get in on this then I'm in.

I read through the whole 4 pages and I think I'm still a little confused. I was planning on building a rat rod from my 32 ford kit but only use the parts from that box. I only have 4 kits total so it's pretty slim pickings, I just use what I got. This will be my first rat rod, first extreme mod build (chopping, z'ing, scratch building, etc), and first community build.

So with that said, if I'm allowed to get in on this then I'm in.

If you are building a rat rod, you can use any parts you like, so welcome to the build.

im sorry if i missed if it said yes or no but can anyone jump in? or is it just between a few of ya? lol cuz i have a rat rod i have been working on i grew up around them an one of the more well known ones... the Green Grenade if any of you are into the 1:1 rat rods i watched that one get build my whole child hood so its always been a big part of my life

im sorry if i missed if it said yes or no but can anyone jump in? or is it just between a few of ya? lol cuz i have a rat rod i have been working on i grew up around them an one of the more well known ones... the Green Grenade if any of you are into the 1:1 rat rods i watched that one get build my whole child hood so its always been a big part of my life

See the quote below re another fellow that asked the same thing. While I am not running this build, I'd say anyone who is interested is encouraged to join. The guy who is "running" it doesn't appear to have posted since Feb.

Depends, just post a picture of how far you got and what you have. But I suppose you can just finish the one you have

Edited by otherunicorn

The wheels are the closest two wheels that were on the bench just propped under it. I put in pedals, and despite having them

well back, they still foul the cab. That's the problem with having such done a savage section to the body. Bah, and my lovely

little Model T steering wheel vanished while I wasn't looking. I didn't see where it fell, and can't find it.

P1000973-vi.jpg

The wheels are the closest two wheels that were on the bench just propped under it. I put in pedals, and despite having them

well back, they still foul the cab. That's the problem with having such done a savage section to the body. Bah, and my lovely

little Model T steering wheel vanished while I wasn't looking. I didn't see where it fell, and can't find it.

P1000973-vi.jpg

That thing is pretty sick! Gonna look good when it's done

Update on my Chrysler Ute. It now has a name - it's a fictitious, long-lost Chrysler prototype called "The Westerner". I made some major progress on it over the last few evenings, so here's where it stands at this moment. The roof is pretty much laid up, with only some filling and contouring left to go. The basic bed is in place, but I haven't opened up the sides where the wheel wells will be yet. I want to make sure of the exact location before I go cutting anything! I've even made up a wooden bed floor for it, which still needs sanding. The photo shows the wood floor laid in place with a couple of wheel houses cut off of the chassis of what I think was an AMT '64 Impala from my parts box and smoothed out for use out in the open. Like the wood deck, they're just sitting loose to give an idea of what it will look like once it's completed:

DSCN6626.jpg

I like this alot ! While I was cutting my 300 to make a wagon I thought it would make a neat El Camino type build ! Glad to see it being done . Keep posting pictures .

BOB.

DSCN6626.jpg

VERY COOL! I can't wait to see it finished!