Model Cars Magazine Forum

Schultz's Repair and Customs-W.I.P.

wrecker388

Unless you're aiming for a "shadowbox" type effect when photographing, I would strongly urge you to alter your paint colors a little.

Try painting the walls white or off-white, and put a coat of light gray on the floor, along with any other colors to demarcte stripes, travel lanes or anything else you might want to put on.

I'd also consider scribing the side-walls to simulate concrete block.

You have a good start to a concept, let's move it to be better.

Charlie Larkin

Unless you're aiming for a "shadowbox" type effect when photographing, I would strongly urge you to alter your paint colors a little.

Try painting the walls white or off-white, and put a coat of light gray on the floor, along with any other colors to demarcte stripes, travel lanes or anything else you might want to put on.

I'd also consider scribing the side-walls to simulate concrete block.

You have a good start to a concept, let's move it to be better.

Charlie Larkin

That's a good idea, i never thought of that. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

looking at it i would advise to paint the floor like a grey tone ... that would really look good

The floor is gray Richard. I guess I need you to clarify what you mean. Your two garage dioramas have been big inspirations on this so I will gladly accept any tips, but I don't understand what you're saying I should do.

yes darker grey .. the floor needs to be way darker then the walls .. you could even try a wash > take dark grey and put some on the floor and with a cloth wipe it all over (spread it out) continue untill you get a cool effect and the floor is dark grey but a you also have little bit of light(er)area's ..

Schultz?

Yeah, that concrete should be darker.

We call my second cousin Sgt. Schultz. He's a good fit for the name, I'm 9th in my class so there;s just a little contrast.

yes darker grey .. the floor needs to be way darker then the walls .. you could even try a wash > take dark grey and put some on the floor and with a cloth wipe it all over (spread it out) continue untill you get a cool effect and the floor is dark grey but a you also have little bit of light(er)area's ..

I'll try to wash it with the black I initially used and see what it does at some point. My bench is a bit crowded right now and this is stuffed up in my display cabinet.

• 1 year later...

Very good start. If I could make a few suggestions, I would put at least 2 windows in a shop that size, also, the air compressor tank is way too small to keep up with the demand. Long ago when I built a similar garage dio, I used a modified big rig fuel tank, as an air storage tank, and mounted the motor and pump assembly with a gauge, to the top of the tank. I ran an air line on the wall, around the shop, so you could plug an air hose into it where ever you were working in the shop. You might want to add a fake door that says "Office", and one that says "Restroom". Just some suggestions.

Cheers,

Lance

Thanks guys. I hadn't realized it had been more than a year since I've updated this topic. I'll upload some more current pictures here soon. Lance, the idea of the air line around the walls is something I do intend to do, but i just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll see what i can find as far as a larger compressor goes. I also like your suggestion of the fake doors. In the mean time for some more up-to-date pictures, some of the new details can be seen in the background here.