Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge "A500" Phantom Flip Cab

Here's one I keep going back to when I'm waiting for this or that to move forward on something else.

A "what if" build...what if Dodge had taken the A100 and given us a full-framed, cab/chassis-only to bridge the gap between the standard van-based pickup and the semi-tractor L700? Since it's based on the A cab rather than the L but is heavier duty...why not call it an A500? Works for me, anyway. :D I'll build it as though someone got hold of one of these and restored it with a little hot rod flavor for hauling around a old Dart or 'Cuda weekend racer. Should be fun.

First hurdle was the frame. Not wanting to over-think it too much, I based it loosely on the design of the kits "frame" (these were unibody in 1:1). Lots of Evergreen stock later, I have this:

Dodge_Flip_Chassis_01-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_Chassis_04-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_Chassis_05-vi.jpg

Here's the body, hacked down to just the cab. After installing a one of the leftover bed sides as a new rear cab wall, the new cab corners were glued in well over-sized, and whittled down to match the contours. They still need a little fine tuning yet.

Dodge_Flip_Cab_06-vi.jpg

Thanks to bill_rules for sending me a seriously glue-bombed Lil' Red Wagon from which I was able to scavenge the floor. Here it is cut down, cleaned up, and given new bits at the rear to tie it in with the cut-down cab.

Dodge_Flip_Cab_01-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_Cab_02-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_Cab_03-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_Cab_05-vi.jpg

This shot shows why that was necessary...couldn't leave this area under the back of the cab looking unfinished.

Dodge_Flip_Cab_07-vi.jpg

Finally, a mock-up to show the overall length of this lil' beast.

Dodge_Flip_Mockup_01-vi.jpg

Cheers,

Glu

Thanks, guys.

Nick, I'm cheating big time with the rolling stock on this one. They're just the excellent slots from the later Revell Maz Willys, wrapped with the Goodyear AirWheel tires from the stock '41 Chevy pickup kit. I'm going to dress them down a bit...either dullcoat or stripped and painted white. I'd like to catch the hot rod attitude, but just hints of it.

Brad (gasser59) turned me on to using printing plate. I gotta say, I think I'm hooked. It's got a great balance between workability and durability. Thanks Brad! I think this is going to end up pulling another stalled project or two down from the shelves.

For now, I'm using it to get the rear suspension started. This stuff rolls so nicely that the spring eyes were a breeze.

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_01-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_02-vi.jpg

Edited by Gluhead

I figured the printing plate would be too thin to use for the whole spring pack, but I do prove myself wrong often so I gave it a whirl. Yep, too thin.

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_03-vi.jpg

So I went back to plan A. :D

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_04-vi.jpg

The ride height is a little too high so I'll see if I can worm the spring hanger off the frame and move it up a bit to compensate. If it gets ugly I'll just have to make a new one (no big deal).

Thanks guys, it's much appreciated.

Carter, I use for sale signs for my styrene stock unless I need some real thickness. I'm not positive, but I'd say this particular sheet is probably about .020...could be .015. Whichever it is, it's hard to beat 97 cents a sheet. :D

This being a phantom AND one that was supposedly dragged out from hiding and rebuilt by a hot rodder, I could have used just about any rear end in this thing that I wanted. But I figure, I've scratchbuilt the frame and springs, and I'll be scratchbuilding pretty much the whole front end...I may as well keep in theme and scratchbuild the rear end, too. :D

I love 1/8" thick sheet stock. It's a bear on the Dremel, but it's such a good blank canvas.

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_05-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_06-vi.jpg

Leaving a "handle" on it to make it easy to work with.

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_07-vi.jpg

More 1/8" stock, turned down to a "button" (the stalk was just there to mount it in the Dremel).

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_08-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_09-vi.jpg

Mounted that to a piece of thin sheet and shaped it down to form a lip.

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_10-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_11-vi.jpg

Scraping the tubes into shape.

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_12-vi.jpg

I'll have the housing all finished up yet here in a bit, and hopefully be able to whittle out a 3rd member tonight.

Thanks, guys. Glad you like it.

While looking for something else, I noticed that I had an extra 8 3/4 3rd member. I'm terrible about robbing parts but have been trying to be better about it and just make stuff instead, if I can...but since this was genuinely an extra, I figured I had better use it. :D

Besides that, I got the other half of the housing shaped up, and installed the tubing on the ends that matches up with the holes in the wheelbacks. It'll get brake drums and backing plates in a couple days (my brother is saving the day on these, and casting up a few that I did for another project), so for now it's on to making the spring pads, u bolts, and getting some shocks and mounts in there.

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_13-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_14-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_15-vi.jpg

Dodge_Flip_RearEnd_16-vi.jpg

Thanks, guys.

Brad - Yeah, that stuff is great. That's another reason I switched to this rather than get back to the '41 and the '27 right away; I wanted to get my feet wet on the plate because I'd like to use it to make the carb linkage on the '41 and mech brake brackets on the '27. A bit of practice on this will help a lot there, since those parts will be small and fiddly.

Rob - I know what you mean...don't even get me started on the cars and trucks being segregated. lmao. It is what it is, but to me a model is a model and good workmanship is good workmanship. I'd just assume we had one bench forum and one glass forum.